Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thoughts now its nearly over

Options
  • 11-06-2008 5:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

Ive still got Construction next Wednesday but its pretty much over now and I have to say what a load of overrated crap! I honestly didnt open a single book for any subject until the night before English paper 2 and did at most 1 hour study for every subject. The only exam ive had thats been remotely tough was Business and im fairly sure I did quite well in that.

Fair enough if youre looking for more than 500 points then you need to put work in but I know someone who only needs something like 350 and she's been studying since last February and was always worked up about the Leaving Cert. Ive done no work, been under no stress and probably got more than 400 points! So yeah..tis overrated!

What did everyone else think of it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fh041205

I hear world hunger still needs solving. You could try that.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

I'm in the same boat as you. I didn't really put much effort in, because I only need to pass everything, but I'm sure I did pretty ok. I just listened to the stuff in class and did a bit of the homework, and maybe an hours study the night before the exams.
    I'm glad I didn't get stressed about it now, I keep going into my exams and being really surprised at how much I know!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭luke999

Nevermind him.. Yes it is over rated but you are obviously decently smart and you must have payed attention in class. You have to remember for some people its a lot harder as they are quite frankly...tree stumps. I did zero study either but i did do loads the night before every subject, it was a pure cramathon. i regret it now as i think i failed maths but like you im expecting over 400 too. But i think i would still have preferred all the hype as it does kinda give ya a kick in the arse doesnt it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 allthatjazz

Same...But in fairness i admire the people that do study and have done so the past 2 years but its just not my cupa tea..
    my nightly crams have served me well...so far...Reckon Il get bout 340, which i will be delighted with. fingers crossed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭tasha1

Finished Tomorrow After Bio And All I Can Think About Is How Happy And Excited I Am!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 RA253195370HK

But i think i would still have preferred all the hype as it does kinda give ya a kick in the arse doesnt it?

No not really, I know of someone who committed suicide because they couldnt take the pressure and a friends of mines cousin ran away from home because of it. It might help some people but I dont think it should be made look so daunting.

I planned to study but just never really got around to it but not im finished Im quite glad I didnt put myself through all the stress.

The thing is that you did an average amount of work and you will get average results. When I was doin the LC i didn't like the thought of people i didn't like getting better results than me especially in subjects i liked. I know its kind of a sick pleasure but meh... it is what it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭melboix

Thought it was grand. Just can't let it get to you really. I did a fair amount of work for it over the last year, and I thought the exams all went fairly well. Nothing amazing like, but I haven't left an exam thinking "I've failed" yet! And there's only Bio to go, so the going's pretty good. I dunno, the hype kinda adds to the whole thing. Just gotta keep it in focus is all.

No not really, I know of someone who committed suicide because they couldnt take the pressure and a friends of mines cousin ran away from home because of it. It might help some people but I dont think it should be made look so daunting.

I planned to study but just never really got around to it but not im finished Im quite glad I didnt put myself through all the stress.

At the risk of treading on a few toes, may i venture to suggest that people do not commit suicide just because of exams. Although I agree that it can't help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭louise-x

I finished today, it's actually the best feeling ever!!

yeah I'm pretty much like that to, didn't do much study or get too worked up about it, but i'll more than likely get over 400 and i'll definitely get my course.

I'm happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭BaRcOe

Only have Tech Drawing Paper 1 on Friday, Paper 2 on Monday then I'm freeeee

Hmmm, what to buy in the offo?
    Can't wait to relax, a few tins, nice game of poker with the lads without having to worry about Othello or Stair na gaeilge! Freedom!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 RA253195370HK

fh041205 wrote: »
    At the risk of treading on a few toes, may i venture to suggest that people do not commit suicide just because of exams. Although I agree that it can't help.

Well yeah obviously theres other factors in it as well. I didnt know the person myself but according to what I heard, the leaving cert pushed them over the edge. The guy running away was totally because of the exams, he stole his dads credit card and stayed alone in a hotel in Galway for 2 weeks!

Im not discouraging people to work here, I still did my work throughout the 2 years. I just think too much is made of it all which adds unnecessary pressure

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

Yeah to be honest the only time I was just feeling too much pressure was when my parents would mention every 5 seconds how I should be studying. It was soo annoying. They're still going it even though I told them that they're the ones putting me under pressure, not anything else.

I find it easier to study without the pressure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

I agree with you ^^ +1

Simply because in my school the Career Guidance kept having meetings with us to tell us that we must study to do well etc. It was a bit pressurising for some. However the whole thing seems to be blown out of proportion. The LC is meant to be achievable, it's not meant to be a deathtrap where you will fail and live miserably for the rest of your life. That's my 2c's anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭fated2pretend

I agree that the whole thing is over-hyped, and on the whole, it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. I've only 2 exams left, and I'm quietly confident I'll get my course - though it might be an 'only-just' situation.

However, it still was a horrible week and a half, and I have genuine sympathy for those aiming for the really high points; knowing you have to get full marks in pretty much everything is an added pressure I could never have coped with, and I think once should be enough for anyone for anyone to do it - I certainly couldn't do it all again anyway! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭all the stars

That this isn't actually as big a deal as people make it out to be- if you dont do well you are told you will never get into college or get a good job- thats rubbish
    I know my Other half never even did his leaving and just finished a bathchelor of Arts in an IT.

dont worry too much - many many ways to skin a cat.

Advertisement