Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I Need Some Advice Please.

Options
  • 11-06-2008 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭

(I'm new so sorry if I've put this in the wrong section. There's loads so, I
    hope I've picked the correct one)

I'm going into 4th year next year and I've been thinking lately about what
    I'd like to do with myself when I leave school. I've always been interested
    in building and designing so I'm really gaining interest in architecture.
    However, I'm not sure what subjects/points are needed for this position.

I'm aware that there are different branches of the occupation, but I'm
    looking for advice on what subjects and at what levels too
    (Higher/Ordinary) and the required points. I did all honours for my Jr. Cert
    and I'm really really desperate to drop to ordinary maths for my Leaving.

Please advise me as I'd be grateful for all help. Also, if there's a way to get
    in at a low stage and build your way up higher too. Just any information
    on the whole architecture/designing world would be grate! Oh, and also
    what colleges I should be applying to. I've a feeling that its DIT that I go
    to.

Thanks in advance. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fh041205

Probly OB3 in maths would do most courses. Check qualifax.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

Keano! wrote: »
    (I'm new so sorry if I've put this in the wrong section. There's loads so, I
    hope I've picked the correct one)

I'm going into 4th year next year and I've been thinking lately about what
    I'd like to do with myself when I leave school. I've always been interested
    in building and designing so I'm really gaining interest in architecture.
    However, I'm not sure what subjects/points are needed for this position.

I'm aware that there are different branches of the occupation, but I'm
    looking for advice on what subjects and at what levels too
    (Higher/Ordinary) and the required points. I did all honours for my Jr. Cert
    and I'm really really desperate to drop to ordinary maths for my Leaving.

Please advise me as I'd be grateful for all help. Also, if there's a way to get
    in at a low stage and build your way up higher too. Just any information
    on the whole architecture/designing world would be grate! Oh, and also
    what colleges I should be applying to. I've a feeling that its DIT that I go
    to.

Thanks in advance. :)

Well You can choose Higher or Ordinary papers on the day, so your not tied to one or the other. As for Architecture, i studied it in Waterford, Maths and tech graph are handy, I was told Geography was essential, but I failed Geog in the LC and got on fine in college. By the way, i wouldn't recommend the WIT Architectural Technology course to anyone, awful lecturers.

You still have a few years left for career decision making, so don't lose sleep over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭MattD

I did a search of Architecture courses on cao.ie. Heres the list :)

http://www.cao.ie/courses.php

Architecture in UCD

min points 2007: 520
    Requirements: Irish, English, Maths, a Language, a Science

Those points may be a bit high, and the course looks pretty intense. But you can look around that list i gave you and see what you like :)

In DIT, there is a suitability test and an interview, so points wouldnt be as important there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Keano!

My career guidence teacher told me that I could get in with,

350 points, including a B in ordinary maths, an interview in DIT and an assestment test there too.

Is that true?

Thanks for the help so far! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

If you're thinking of architecture then you'd wanna do Technical Drawing.

Even if college courses don't need it, it's more or less what you'll be doing anyway I presume.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭MattD

yep, i just looked at the page. You only to do a suitability test before the Leaving Cert get decent results and then do well in the interview.

The page says you just need a D3 in Ordinary Maths and English/Irish but your going to need to get some decent points if theyre going to consider you.

Theres only 55 places

Theres no need for such detail anyways, sure your only small ;) :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Guy I was living with in first year did Architecture in DIT Bolton St.

To get by and keep pace with the coursework he did a minimum of 3 hours study/drawing after college every day from the start of 2nd year. Crazy workload.

Apparently by the time you get to 2nd semester of 3rd year you have no life outside lectures and the library. Just to let you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

bigkev49 wrote: »
    Guy I was living with in first year did Architecture in DIT Bolton St.

To get by and keep pace with the coursework he did a minimum of 3 hours study/drawing after college every day from the start of 2nd year. Crazy workload.

Apparently by the time you get to 2nd semester of 3rd year you have no life outside lectures and the library. Just to let you know.

OP ignore that, if you want to do the course any working hours will be worth it.

[bigkev im not trying to undermine you but this could actually put him off doing a course he'd quite like to do]

• Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Whoa, not meaning to put him off at all. My mate loved it but the workload was phenomenal, just making the OP aware of it.

OP by all means if you're interested go for it. Work is always easier to get through when you have an interest in it as we all know. I had a huge workload this year (3rd yr Planner in Bolton St.) but I'm motivated by the course content so it made it that bit easier.

Advertisement