Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Physics predictions,higher

Options
  • 11-06-2008 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭

so im down to my last exam higher physics...4 full days to concentrate on it so just wondering has anyone got any predictions for the paper....i need a c3 minimum for points but failed miserably in the mocks.Has yer teachers prediceted any experiments etc?
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭MattD

One of the sonometer experiments should come up. And one of those 'latent heat of vaporisation/fusion'

Study your Modern Physics and your Particle Physics. Thatl get you like 3 questions from Section B covered :)

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭The-Rafalution

how is that 3 q's from just 2 sections?

Well theres 1 question on Modern Physics, One question on Particles.

Usually 1 option of Q12 is Modern Physics. So thats half a question

And there will be 2 parts from Q5 related to those two chapters.

Maybe not 3 questions, but the marks add up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭starkinter

I wouldn't be surprised if the Newton's second law experiment comes up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 m-i-t-s-u-k-o

The electricity experiment the variation of the resistance of a thermistor with temp is tipped to come up hasn't been asked before!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SimpleLogic

I was looking back through the papers today. if i had to guess would say
    Q1 acceleration proportional to force
    Q2 Sonometer- fundamental frequency of a stretched wire with tension
    Q3 Speed of sound in air
    Q4 Resistivity of the material of a wire
    :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Stevieo

Electricity...resistance of certain items with temperature's tipped. As well as Capacitance for section B!

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭A-Bit-Dodge

My Grinds teacher is a regular on the exams commission and apparently its gonna be the F=ma, resisitivity, fusion of ice and a sonometer, optic fibres and domestic circuits for the theme question, mechanics 2 (centripetal force), thermionic emission, geiger muller counter explanation for particle physics, and thats all he told us, probably wants us to do some actual study for the rest...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭shanedownfall

My Grinds teacher is a regular on the exams commission and apparently its gonna be the F=ma, resisitivity, fusion of ice and a sonometer, optic fibres and domestic circuits for the theme question, mechanics 2 (centripetal force), thermionic emission, geiger muller counter explanation for particle physics, and thats all he told us, probably wants us to do some actual study for the rest...:rolleyes:

Cheers for that man!... Refractive index of a liquid is a possibility too i'd say. Hasn't being asked yet as far as i can remember.

What's that sonometer experiment again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Stevieo

What's that sonometer experiment again?

There's two....frequency of a string is inversely proportional to length, and frequency of a string is proportional to the square root of tension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭shanedownfall

Know the ones. Not to bad, hopefully one comes up, thanks

Burner- wrote: »
    I was looking back through the papers today. if i had to guess would say
    Q1 acceleration proportional to force
    Q2 Sonometer- fundamental frequency of a stretched wire with tension
    Q3 Speed of sound in air
    Q4 Resistivity of the material of a wire
    :rolleyes:

There wont be 2 experiments from the sound section. Thats just crazy talk! Stick Fusion of Ice in there instead of speed of sound and its grand :p

hopefully some of these will appear so,i need a miracle to get the c but wel see

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭carpothepunk

Failed the mocks. Did a bit since then. Would be so chuffed to pass. I do put in effort, its just im not great at Physics. Anyone give me some pointers to just help me pass? HL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Patrickisperfec

anyone know what experiments came up in the mocks? thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭pocket aces

Failed the mocks. Did a bit since then. Would be so chuffed to pass. I do put in effort, its just im not great at Physics. Anyone give me some pointers to just help me pass? HL.

learn your option well- do the questions on the last 5 years on it. Do as many question 5s as you can, and if you're doing question 12, answer 3 out of the 4 parts (they're not long, and you're marked on your best 2)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 powpeach

good good. was he on it this year?
    what will come up about circuits?

does anyone else know any people on the exams commission for physics or engineering??? if they have given u any tips please tell us!!!!?

powpeach wrote: »
    good good. was he on it this year?
    what will come up about circuits?

does anyone else know any people on the exams commission for physics or engineering??? if they have given u any tips please tell us!!!!?

Eh no, dont think so, he does alternating years....

Circuits as in the electricity option topic? We didnt do that.. stupid particle physics, I hate it...:(
    I don't know about domestic circuits to be honest.. Oh, he also said electromagnetic induction (no surprises there..) and capacitance for q.12... Know the history of some of the electron crap.. Pauli, Cockroft and Walton etc....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 powpeach

sound,
    ya we did particle physics also thank god. i never listened in class for electricity or did any qustions on it but im going leaving them q's out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 hgfg

Just wondering does anyone know what derivations for formulae in physics are needed?
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32 mrs.vandoorn

f=ma people ! good one 4 a 12 marker!!

35% in de mocks

hopefully i can blame that on laziness

HL physics deserves more points dan other subjects

• Closed Accounts Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cokehead Mother

hgfg wrote: »
    Just wondering does anyone know what derivations for formulae in physics are needed?
    Thanks

v = u + at

s = ut + 0.5at^2

v^2 = u^2 + 2as

F = ma

v= wr

T^2 = (4.pi^2.r^3)/GM

n.lambda = dsinO

R = R_1 + R_2 (resistors in series)

1/R = 1/R_1 + 1/R_2 (resistors in parallel)

F = qvB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭starkinter

hgfg wrote: »
    Thanks

Off the top of my head, periodic time of a satellite and nλ = dsinθ for a diffraction grating are the ones which need serious learning. There are other easier ones.

edit: OK, evidently, there are loads of others. I suppose I'll learn them, so.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Decerto

theres s=ut+1/2at^2, v^2=u^2+2as and v=u+at, also f=ma from newtons second law, one with g = GM/r^2 from f=GMm/r^2 and periodic time version of tht using centripedal force = GMm/r^2, also u have to derive n(lambda)=dsin(theta) from a diagram of light being diffracted. and u also have to derive relationship between v and omega from omega = (theta)/t and (theta) = arc length(s)/radius(r), might be one about radius of particle accelerator aswell, bqvsin(theta)=centripedal force, electricty u have to derive resistors in series and parallel,

Most of them are just messing about with formulas though

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Decerto

For bqv btw can u just say bil=b(q/t)l=bq(l/t)=bqv or do you have to do the whole big long written thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 xmac1x

Yeah man just know some of the suggested experiments above and learn the particle and nuclear physics. Apart from that there's no substitute for a bit of hard work from now until monday!

do ye reckon it could be easier than as last year?our teacher said it might as there were so many complaints about the difficulty and failure rate last year.hopefully

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 jager-bomber

(Without retarded electricity)
    Have a go at predicting
    Q1 a proportional to f
    Q2 Latent heat of fusion of ice
    Q3 Sonometer
    Q4 Resistance-temperature
    Q5 shorts
    Q6 ????
    Q7
    Q8
    Q9
    Q10
    Q11
    Q12
    ?????????????????????????????????????????? HELP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 lawdeedaw

my teacher is supervisin n he said that theres a correction to q12...theres a wrong value for c in c=f(lamda)!!!!:D:D

• Advertisement

(Without retarded electricity)
    Have a go at predicting
    Q1 a proportional to f
    Q2 Latent heat of fusion of ice
    Q3 Sonometer
    Q4 Resistance/resistivity
    Q5 shorts
    Q6 Gravitation
    Q7 Light waves/spectra (again, I think...)
    Q8Photo emission/thermionic
    Q9not a clue... resistance/power/anything from electrostatics
    Q10 option... go figure! could be anything! know the history though...
    Q11theme: I reckon national grid/doppler effect (all that noise pollution decibel crap)/the eys and lens correction..
    Q12 anones guess but i'd be banking on electromagnetic induction, capacitance, fibre optics v's electrical cables, modern physics??

Advertisement