Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visualisation Mapping in website

Options
  • 11-06-2008 5:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

Hi,

I am currently attempting to develop a page on a website that will allow users to view Irish business and basic details, e.g. Name, Address, Relationship with other businesses (research), website details and contact details. I have this information in a spreadsheet, and now I want to import it into a Visualisation mapping tool. I am reviewing Google Maps/Earth, but I am not sure if I can use these details listed above. Are there any other pieces of software available, or is there a more effective method of using Google Maps? :confused:

Thank you for your assistance,

Noel

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Cantab.

ncarroll wrote: »
    Hi,

I am currently attempting to develop a page on a website that will allow users to view Irish business and basic details, e.g. Name, Address, Relationship with other businesses (research), website details and contact details. I have this information in a spreadsheet, and now I want to import it into a Visualisation mapping tool. I am reviewing Google Maps/Earth, but I am not sure if I can use these details listed above. Are there any other pieces of software available, or is there a more effective method of using Google Maps? :confused:

Thank you for your assistance,

Noel

Have you got the GPS coordinates of all these businesses?

Import your spreadsheet into a MySQL database and interface to Google Maps and Bob's your uncle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

You could pass the addresses to the Google Maps API and see if they are able to return the co-ordinates for you. Alternatively, if you're willing to spend a little you could hook into An Post's GeoDirectory service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 ncarroll

I do have the coordinates for the business within an spreadsheet so perhaps Google Maps may be the best option? I will try import into a MySQL database and see the outcome.

I'm not a very tech skilled person, so this may take a lot of trial and error.. :o

Thanks for yor help

Noel

Advertisement