Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vodafone v1520 aka Asus P550

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭armedboarder

Got it during the week, seems like the battery sucks: poor when gaming or running apps on it. Annoying screen saving feature. Cannot figure out how to change onboard tones except the main ringing tone.

It has accepted most .cab installations and the games / apps are very good resolution, fast and great fun. Internet quick,but annoying display, very good bluetooth and ability to turn off phone while still using PDA is xclent on flights. Nice phone but needs a hack down and tweak on certain things. Anyone got any tips ????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

I don t have it on me right now, but you can change all tones/alarms/etc...and you can change screen off settings also!
    Just go to settings and investigate!!!
    Yeah, battery life is the one weakness in this otherwise excellent phone! You can buy a more powerful battery at expansys etc, but since I use it on the road a lot, it's mostly plugged into the charger anyways, so I can't complain too much!
    Otherwise it's really good! Plenty of ram, and with touchpal installed you can really learn to type fast without a stylus! Opera mini works great also - which isn't the case with many touchscreen only devices! I'm really pleased with the phone! When I get a chance later, I'll post how to change you're settings, but have a look yourself - it's not difficult, but in wm some settings menus that you'd expect to find together in one place are spread out in different submenus! Oh: and have you installed Pointui? It's a freeware shell enhancement...not as good as MobileShell, but it's a good finger-friendly today-screen/launcher replacement!
    Touchpal is also freeware - though there are extra features in the premium version, the free version is the best wm onscreen keyboard imho...it has a learning curve, but when you give it some practice it rocks!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭armedboarder

I have software bits n bobs if ur interested. Swap out ??

I have software bits n bobs if ur interested. Swap out ??

What are you looking for?
    Oh, btw is yours an asus or the vodafone one? Because the asus p550 has that quicklaunch thing on the homescreen that my 1520v doesn't have. Weirdly though, MemMaid installer says the asusteklauncher is installed, but using all file explorers still didn't show the app...?! Funny...voda really didn't mess up any other functions on the phone, so it's a bit weird that feature's absent?!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Alpha1.2

I just got one of these myself after a russian friend of mine showed me his. Lovely screen. One question though, mine is locked to vodaphone, is it possible to unlock it? Googled it and no definite answers given.

• Advertisement

Alpha1.2 wrote: »
    I just got one of these myself after a russian friend of mine showed me his. Lovely screen. One question though, mine is locked to vodaphone, is it possible to unlock it? Googled it and no definite answers given.
    are you sure it's locked? Mine is vodafone branded, obviously, but it's not locked ;) could be an earlier batch?

No, not sure, its on it's way via post now. Got it off ebay and seller said it was simlocked to vodafone uk in the description.

No, not sure, its on it's way via post now. Got it off ebay and seller said it was simlocked to vodafone uk in the description.
    ouch... if that is true, you have to get it unlocked...

Ya, thus the question.

Ya, thus the question.

Yeah, sorry - was posting in a rush!

Have you checked the 'xda developer forum'?

I think a lot of the usual phone unlock shops can unlock it - they put a generic rom on afaik... The 'Phone Hospital' in Ballina unlocked my vodafone HTC tytn in no time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement