Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2008 tv commentary

• 11-06-2008 6:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

While the before and after is a simple knockout win for RTEs panel what about the match commentary?

For me RTEs selection is pretty damned bad McGee and Hamilton prime offenders while co-commentators/pundits Kinsella and Cunningham are beyond the joke, though Trevor Stevens is grand you can tell he has a bit more media savvy.

ITVs is grand if you like Clive Tyldsley (I don't, but David Pleat tends to know his stuff) while the Beebs comes out just about on top despite the threat of Motty/Lauro.

Mike.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Kenny Cunningham could make me uninterested in a 5-5 Spain vs Holland match. The only good thing about im commentating is that I cant see him raising his eyebrows everytime he thinks hes made a good point.

Numpty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

I like George Hamilton. Darragh Moloney is good too. Jimmy McGee isn't great, but he wouldn't make me change the channel. Kenny Cunningham and Mark Kinsella are dire.
    Clyde Tyldsley is alright, doesn't bother too much when England or an English team aren't playing. As said, David Pleat is good.
    BBC harp on about the English team so much I don't even bother anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Cant stand the RTE commentry team bar Darragh Moloney maybe although they do have the best punditry team, so I suppose they cant have it all. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

I'm sticking with commentators I can't understand rather than listen to rte.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Whichever two are on RTE now are shocking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

bbc 5 live commentary through the red button ftw

i grew up listening to matches on 5 live (static and all), and it still has that magic for me now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Whichever two are on RTE now are shocking.

Ricardo Ronaldo is the latest blunder by jimmy mcgee

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

rte commentary is where they fall down for me big time, ITV ok apart from Pleat, overall I'd go with BBC except for Mark Lawrenson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭genericgoon

Roar wrote: »
    bbc 5 live commentary through the red button ftw

i grew up listening to matches on 5 live (static and all), and it still has that magic for me now

Alan Green's usually interesting at least. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

lmao! did anyone just hear what that tool on RTE just said now! doing a roundup of players and stuff he says David Villa who plays for Seville has just increased his value lol! great research ffs!!

IDIOTS!

• Advertisement

Where is Dunphy, Bill and Brady, too much rotation on rte coverage imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Alan Green's usually interesting at least. :D

the man's a legend, and the best in the business, along with martin tyler

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Green_%28broadcaster%29

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Where is Dunphy, Bill and Brady, too much rotation on rte coverage imo.
    Its all about sqaud rotation, cant expect Eamo, Bill and Brady perform at the top level every match! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Roar wrote: »
    the man's a legend, and the best in the business, along with martin tyler

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Green_%28broadcaster%29

Cant stand Green or Tyler both believe their own hype.

Green makes conterversial comments in every game to get noticed and Tyler doesnt even know he is at the game half the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Seriously Peter Collins rwo days in a row

For shame RTE for shame

Bring Back Billo Now - It's not hard he's just sitting there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Its all about sqaud rotation, cant expect Eamo, Bill and Brady perform at the top level every match! ;)
    True, it's a marathon not a sprint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Commentators I like:

Darragh Maloney
    Jimmy Magee(I respect him)
    Peter Drury
    John Champions
    Clive Tysley(or whatever it is)
    Steve Wilson
    Johnathon Pearce
    Lawrenson(sometimes)
    Mark Bright(Brighty)...he's not bad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,849 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

THe only decent guy RTE has is Souness and he's analysis not commentary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Cunningham and Kinsella are awful to listen to.

Nah Dunphy is better than Souness.

I don't know if its an Irish thing, but the biggest problem with Giles, Brady and Dunphy is that they are so negative about the bad parts of the game. They never credit some sublime piece of play, rather they always look for an error.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I tend to avoid the BBC at all times for fear of hearing one syllable from John Motson. Either ITV or RTÉ will do me for the commentary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭Requiem4adream

Commentators I like:

Darragh Maloney
    Jimmy Magee(I respect him)
    Peter Drury
    John Champions
    Clive Tysley(or whatever it is)
    Steve Wilson
    Johnathon Pearce
    Lawrenson(sometimes)
    Mark Bright(Brighty)...he's not bad

I usually agree with your posts but MARK BRIGHT!!! Truly shocking call. Did you hear his analysis of Sverkos's goal ??? "tap-in" were the words used! 12 yards out under pressure and keeper to beat lmao!

I usually agree with your posts but MARK BRIGHT!!! Truly shocking call. Did you hear his analysis of Sverkos's goal ??? "tap-in" were the words used! 12 yards out under pressure and keeper to beat lmao!
    It was a tap in for a player of Mark Brights calibare! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

David Pleat, what a turd, did you hear him today, about five times "Ummm err the Republic Of Czechzlovakia...."
    And i cant stand Clive Tylsley and his general Man United flag waving, no matter who is playing!!

Cheers for that.:D

I don't know why I like him, I just think he works for small matches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I don't think Jimmy Magee and his two cohorts are actually in Austria/Switzerland.

It's just a hunch I have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Talksport covered the 2002 WC from a sofa with a Sony Trinitron.

Mike.

mike65 wrote: »
    Talksport covered the 2002 WC from a sofa with a Sony Trinitron.

I meant Magee and Cunningham and Kinsella.

Obv Hamilton/Houghton are out there.

And I'm doubtful on Alkin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

DesF wrote: »
    I don't think Jimmy Magee and his two cohorts are actually in Austria/Switzerland.

It's just a hunch I have.

wouldn't be the first time. RTE seem to do this a lot. you can tell because the sound and the picture are never properly synced up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

an absolute cracker from George Hamilton tonight...."looks like Switzerland and Turkey have come off the worse in a 1-1 draw.....if that makes any sense...ahem....."

No it didnt really, George. Jimmy Magee nods off half the time during games, Darragh Moloney is so OTT sometimes, but then compared to the TV3 crowd, theyre legends.......i.e. yer man Trevor "I pronounce soccer teams as I see them, like Reee-al Madrid" Welch, oh christ!

Another givaway is when subs are being readied, usually a commentator will spot this before the broadcast director cuts to the technical area.

Mike.

mike65 wrote: »
    Another givaway is when subs are being readied, usually a commentator will spot this before the broadcast director cuts to the technical area.

Mike.

all time favourite though, is when they mix it so badly that the commentators start shouting goal before the player has even shot. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

I would really support research that looked more closely at suicide in ireland because I think it would find that ray houghton's commentary is the root cause of every single case (yes even the ones before he started commentating).

leninbenjamin the gap on my telly between rte analogue and bbc on the digital is so long I can watch a live goal twice! :pac:

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,098 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I would really support research that looked more closely at suicide in ireland because I think it would find that ray houghton's commentary is the root cause of every single case (yes even the ones before he started commentating).

lol! +1

With the depressing negative shite he comes out with, sometimes i wish he'd just say what was really on his mind;
    -"They're all crap, I've have done it way better, me."

• Advertisement

No Bill again today, no Brady and Whelan again :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

As long as Jimmy Magee is nowhere near the mic ill watch any channel

No Bill again today, no Brady and Whelan again :mad:

When did Whelan get the promotion?

Melion wrote: »

You need Bill there to stir the **** though, Collins is one one smug git imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

I love Jimmy Magee:) I hate George Hamilton:mad: I want Bill back:(

• Advertisement

DesF wrote: »
    When did Whelan get the promotion?

I've just seen him for the Euros, hope he is not going to be a perm fixture.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

kerash wrote: »
    I love Jimmy Magee:) I hate George Hamilton:mad: I want Bill back:(

I hate Jimmy Magee. I like to think i have a decent knowledge of football but he totally confused me during the portugal game yesterday. What the hell is outside right(not right wing according to Jimmy), inside left and left half? It was like he was watching the hurling from last weekend instead of Portugal. Oh and he was commentating on the Czech national anthem while Ronaldo was on the screen singing. And he cant pronounce players names, and who the hell is Ricardo Ronaldo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,388 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

He is like a mannequin.
    See how he keeps on pulling at his jacket every so often.

I quite like Collins tbh, dont get me wrong he is no Bill but there is alot worse out there. Id say Bill, Brady and Souness will be back for the Group of Death games tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

I hate Jimmy Magee. I like to think i have a decent knowledge of football but he totally confused me during the portugal game yesterday. What the hell is outside right(not right wing according to Jimmy), inside left and left half? It was like he was watching the hurling from last weekend instead of Portugal. Oh and he was commentating on the Czech national anthem while Ronaldo was on the screen singing. And he cant pronounce players names, and who the hell is Ricardo Ronaldo?

Ah Jimmy, the 'Memory Man' knows so much it sometimes all comes out at once! stick with him tho and you'll learn a thing or two about a thing or two! Ricardo Ronaldo made me lol, just one of the reasons i love him:D

I've just seen him for the Euros, hope he is not going to be a perm fixture.
    He does be on The Premiership iirc.
    Old Skool positions, Outside Right would be what the two men behind the striker, who play wide are, ie Ronaldo and Giggs behind Rooney.

striker
    OL
    OR

Striker

IR
    IL

See the difference?

Half backs, and Half forwards were basically midfielders, but the Centre Halfs, what do you think that means.

We still call the right and left full backs, the right and left fulls don't we?

M
    They are some of the positions that would have been in the old W (called the WM) tactical system.

Alf Ramsay, iirc, "invented" 4-4-2, before that WM was the tactic that damn near every football team employed.

Magee is old skool to the bone.
    He is like a mannequin.
    See how he keeps on pulling at his jacket every so often.
    I hate him so much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I'm missing Bill too. What's going on? Wish Brady was there instead of Whelan too.

Commentators I enjoy listening to:

George Hamilton (legend)
    Clive Tyldesley (best ITV have to offer)
    Motty (getting on a bit but I still like him)
    Lawro (love the quips)
    Jim Beglin (wish ITV would let him come home!)

Commentators I can tolerate:

Darragh Moloney ('Oh what a super goal!' Yeah he's OK)
    Ray Houghton (I think he's decent)
    Trevor Steven (didn't like him at first but he's grown on me since)
    David Pleat (he's also getting on a bit but he's fine)
    Jimmy Magee (getting tougher to tolerate at this stage I'm afraid)
    Mark Bright (again I can only just about tolerate him)

Commentators I cannot stand:

Jonathan Pearce (go back to Robot Wars)
    Kenny Cunningham (big turn-off for me. Sorry Kenny)
    Mark Kinsella (he's not up to it I'm afraid)
    Stephen Alkin (his voice grates)

Is the guy from RTE who also does the GAA games out there? He does some games for the Premiership coverage. I like him. Also I'm really missing Barry Davies from the BBC. He was a bloody legend. The Beeb didn't give him enough respect.

I'm missing Bill too. What's going on? Wish Brady was there instead of Whelan too.

Commentators I enjoy listening to:

George Hamilton (legend)
    Clive Tyldesley (best ITV have to offer)
    Motty (getting on a bit but I still like him)
    Lawro (love the quips)
    Jim Beglin (wish ITV would let him come home!)

Commentators I can tolerate:

Darragh Moloney ('Oh what a super goal!' Yeah he's OK)
    Ray Houghton (I think he's decent) :eek:
    Trevor Steven (didn't like him at first but he's grown on me since)
    David Pleat (he's also getting on a bit but he's fine)
    Jimmy Magee (getting tougher to tolerate at this stage I'm afraid)
    Mark Bright (again I can only just about tolerate him)

Commentators I cannot stand:

Jonathan Pearce (go back to Robot Wars)
    Kenny Cunningham (big turn-off for me. Sorry Kenny)
    Mark Kinsella (he's not up to it I'm afraid)
    Stephen Alkin (his voice grates)

Is the guy from RTE who also does the GAA games out there? He does some games for the Premeirship coverage. I like him. Also I'm really missing Barry Davies from the BBC. He was a bloody legend. The Beeb didn't give him enough respect.

I cant stand listening to Houghton he drives me up the wall, the only plus point of him him being on the panel to pick the new Irish manager was that he couldnt commentate on any of the Irish matches! :) I agree with you about Barry Davies, he was absolute quality.

I cant stand listening to Houghton he drives me up the wall, the only plus point of him him being on the panel to pick the new Irish manager was that he couldnt commentate on any of the Irish matches!

I think it's just the camera thing. It seems after however many years he's been at it he still hasn't learned to relax and just talk. on the rare occasion he does this he's actually all right. but most of the time he just tries to hard and ends up making a fool of himself with nonsensical 'when I used to' stories.

Same with Cunningham. knows a lot about the game, and would be a decent enough if someone at RTE had the cop to go and coach him on how to speak to the camera. such a monotonous voice.

still i'd take these boys over BBC/ITV anyday, at least they try to analyse the game. actually, i guess that's not fair. Martin O Neill, and Strachan when you can understand him, are pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

cunningham could and should be used as a cure for insomia!

• Advertisement
Advertisement