Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2008 tv commentary

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

still i'd take these boys over BBC/ITV anyday, at least they try to analyse the game. actually, i guess that's not fair. Martin O Neill, and Strachan when you can understand him, are pretty good.

All about opinions but I quite like BBC when, Peacock,Dixon and Keown are on, basically anyone except for Hansen,Lawro,Sheraer :mad:

Really enjoy MOTD when Adrian Chiles does it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Guys, alas RTE, BBC and ITV have they bad points, but it could all be so much worse - we might have to watch it on TV3 and listen to Trevor Welch!!!! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

OPENROAD wrote: »
    All about opinions but I quite like BBC when, Peacock,Dixon and Keown are on, basically anyone except for Hansen,Lawro,Sheraer :mad:

I agree actually. and now that i think of it, they actually have a good few pundits i like. it's just a pity that 90% of the time it's the other three f*ckers. and Linekar... *shudder*

but still, they are always slightly more reserved on the English TV channels than here. For example Souness is far more outspoken on RTE than he ever is on SKY.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

I'm missing Bill too. What's going on? Wish Brady was there instead of Whelan too.

Commentators I enjoy listening to:

George Hamilton (legend)
    Clive Tyldesley (best ITV have to offer)
    Motty (getting on a bit but I still like him)
    Lawro (love the quips)
    Jim Beglin (wish ITV would let him come home!)

Commentators I can tolerate:

Darragh Moloney ('Oh what a super goal!' Yeah he's OK)
    Ray Houghton (I think he's decent)
    Trevor Steven (didn't like him at first but he's grown on me since)
    David Pleat (he's also getting on a bit but he's fine)
    Jimmy Magee (getting tougher to tolerate at this stage I'm afraid)
    Mark Bright (again I can only just about tolerate him)

Commentators I cannot stand:

Jonathan Pearce (go back to Robot Wars)
    Kenny Cunningham (big turn-off for me. Sorry Kenny)
    Mark Kinsella (he's not up to it I'm afraid)
    Stephen Alkin (his voice grates)

I'd agree almost exactly with those. Clive Tydesley is okay when he's not commentating on an English team, and I'm not a huge Trevor Steven fun but apart from that I agree 100%.

Does anyone dislike Jim Beglin? Out of all the commentators out there are the moment, I think he's the best. He's good to listen, doesn't go on too much, and his analysis is really good. Hooray for Jim Beglin!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Tom65 wrote: »
    I'd agree almost exactly with those. Clive Tydesley is okay when he's not commentating on an English team, and I'm not a huge Trevor Steven fun but apart from that I agree 100%.

Does anyone dislike Jim Beglin? Out of all the commentators out there are the moment, I think he's the best. He's good to listen, doesn't go on too much, and his analysis is really good. Hooray for Jim Beglin!

Jim Beglin would be my favourite commentator, Cunningham being the worst YAWN, Jimmy Magee grates at times although he isn't the worst in the world, Mark Bright is surprisingly competent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

I like Jimmy Magee, George Hamilton is the worst commentator Ive ever heard, I nearly threw something at the tv when he spent 20 minutes not understanding why a draw was a decent result for Turkey. Usually I dont mind as long as they dont say anything too stupid and I know not to expect anything too bright from the co commentators.

Used to love Pearce when he woked on radio for Londons Capital Gold or Arsenal Gold as I used to call it as we were always the commentary match,his commentary was superb,really really good, he used to get so hyper, nothing like what he is now on bbc though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Used to love Pearce when he woked on radio for Londons Capital Gold or Arsenal Gold as I used to call it as we were always the commentary match,his commentary was superb,really really good, he used to get so hyper, nothing like what he is now on bbc though.
    He used to be class on Channel 5, he could come out with anything. Far more restricted on BBC. I still quite like his commentary, at least he's knowledgeable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

what about floating heads?

• Advertisement

grenache wrote: »
    He used to be class on Channel 5, he could come out with anything. Far more restricted on BBC. I still quite like his commentary, at least he's knowledgeable.

Have to agree I still like him on BBC and he does know his stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Predhead

IMO, Jimmy Magee is an absolute ****ing idiot. Woeful commentary and crap sayings.

George ''and it's Ronaldo...no...er it's Van Der Sar'' Hamilton isn't great but I still like him for some reason.

Ray Houghton is a clown of the highest order. All ''contributes'' is ''he should've done this''. And basically regurgitates what Dunphy and the panel says and comments on certain stigma's. Ronnie's known for taking a dive but even if it's an actual hard challenge/foul, no matter what, he'll say ''ah he's gone down too easily there''. Fool.

I don't think Kenny Cunningham is too bad actually.

To call Motson stupid would be a bit unfair. He's senile. Retire now please.

Lawro is rubbish. No insight whatsoever. Stupid 'jokes'.

I could go on but I'll wrap it up with:

I like Barry Davies. Packie Bonner as a presenter is pathetic. TV3 in general have no business broadcasting football the same way I've no business turning out for Utd every week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭JæKæ

As said, David Pleat is good.

I disagree-he takes the fun out of football. His latest gaffe was calling the Czech Republic 'Czechoslov...The Republic of Czechoslovakia'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Predhead

JæKæ wrote: »
    I disagree-he takes the fun out of football. His latest gaffe was calling the Czech Republic 'Czechoslov...The Republic of Czechoslovakia'

:pac:

David Pleat is good.

Ah David Pleat and the famous bit of commentary back on that famous night of May 26th 1989

" I think it is poetic Justice that having lead the league for so long that Arsenal get a result on the night even though they are not to win the league" :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,944 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Jimmy Magee is a pain in the hole. At least I don't have to listen to Frank Stapleton.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

Jimmy Magee is the man. He always cracks me up. "Ricardo Ronaldo" hahaha.
    The best was the 2006 WC when he thaught the Ivory Coast flag was the Ireland flag. He always comes up with something hilarious to say usually when he's not trying to be funny.

The worst is very hard to choose. But I'd have to go with Kenny Cunningham. Probally the most depressing voice on television at the moment. He's always moaning about someting during a game. And his voice is just so boreing. He reminds me of that boreing priest in Father Ted.

Ray Houghton is another awful moaning idoit. Thanks for 88 Ray now pi** off back to Scotland.

Like Ronnie Whelean funnly enough. Didnt think I would but I think he's done alright.

One thing all the pundits & commentators on RTE & BBC have in common is a real lack of knowledge on European players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Danger_Dave

I would really support research that looked more closely at suicide in ireland because I think it would find that ray houghton's commentary is the root cause of every single case (yes even the ones before he started commentating).

LOL, the guy is a joke, Ronaldo will score wonder goal from 30 yards out and he'll say " wrong option , he should have passed it to the wing "

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,944 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

He just called Zambrotta "Zambrotti" ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,161 ✭✭✭rednik

I like listening to 5 live commentaries with Alan Green and Mike Ingham. But recently that wa**er from Cork Conor McNamara has been commentating on football and rugby. He's that highly thought of at the BBC he doesn't appear on the 5 live website. I wonder will TV3 bring him back when they start showing champs lge again. They're viewing figures were never great but with him they will never get better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I like Conor McNamara, easily the best sports guy on TV3 until he left.

Mike

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭gogglebok

Jimmy Magee maykes the odd mistake, but it doesn't taint the essence of the man. Other pundits commentate on the match. Jimmy commentates on the cosmos, and lets the match unfurl behind him. Yesterday he gave us a little discourse on hot dogs on trays, and how they seem quintessentially American even in a European's hand.

"As we sit there's a fly buzzing out his melodies near the window. The shafts of sunlight falling on its back lend it a shimmering beauty, Mark, that truly belies its reputation as a noisome pest, the carrion crow of the insect world. Houseflies are bigger here than at home, Mark, did you notice that? I wonder is it a matter of nutrition, or is there some Darwinian principle of selection at work."

"Holland have scored, Jimmy."

"So they have, my boy, so they have."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

Darragh Maloney - It must have been collect one box top and become a commentator, because he seems incapable of collecting two. Seriously though his knowledge of football is non-existant, he tries to crack the worst jokes in the world. The only good thing about him commmentating, is the mute button and the fact Clive is on the other channel.

Ray Houghton - Ah yes. Ray. "Defin-aaaaatly". Himself and Darragh have a formidable partnership....as the worst commentary team in the world. I can't think of two people I'd rather listen to less. For someone who has played the game, his lack of knowledge is amazing. His constant criticism of Ronaldo is terrible too....

George Hamilton - I actually think he is ok. Possible because Maloney makes him look good. Except when Ireland are playing, and he gets excited at winning a corner, and is completely biased.

Jimmy McGee - Grosso running down the wing, followed by 50 replays of him doing so, including a close up of "Grosso 3" on the back of his jersey, and Jimmy keeps talking about what an exceptional run from Luca Toni. Well done Jim. He kept saying Deco was playing left half? Sorry there Jim, wrong sport.... this is modern day football, not from the 1900s. Still better than Maloney though. Why does he keep calling Lobont, Labon-ince? And Ujfalusi, wee-falusi? "And now, heres the Czech national anthem" after we get a shot of Ronaldo singing the Portugese anthem... and calling Czech Republic, the Republic of Czechoslovakia. How is he a commentator? Does he actually have a set of eyes?

Kenny Cunningham - I don't mind him really. Its better when he is commentating because I don't have to watch him raise his God damn eyebrows every five seconds.

Mark Kinsella - Sounds remarkably like Kenny Cunningham? He's not so bad. He's God-like when you compare him with Ray Houghton.

Clive Tyldsley - He's not bad at all. At least he doesn't confuse players, try to crack rubbish jokes, and seems to know a bit about football, generally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I find Jon Champion the best of the ITV crowd, being a freelance he also pops up on BBC tv and fivelive and Setanta. Busy fella.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

gogglebok wrote: »
    Jimmy Magee maykes the odd mistake, but it doesn't taint the essence of the man. Other pundits commentate on the match. Jimmy commentates on the cosmos, and lets the match unfurl behind him. Yesterday he gave us a little discourse on hot dogs on trays, and how they seem quintessentially American even in a European's hand.

"As we sit there's a fly buzzing out his melodies near the window. The shafts of sunlight falling on its back lend it a shimmering beauty, Mark, that truly belies its reputation as a noisome pest, the carrion crow of the insect world. Houseflies are bigger here than at home, Mark, did you notice that? I wonder is it a matter of nutrition, or is there some Darwinian principle of selection at work."

I know it's two days later, but big ****ing LOL!!

Over here, I get onem an commentary teams by some freelance guys named John Helm and Steve Banyard. I think I remember Helm's name from MOTD back in the day. They're pretty good. The punditry here is rubbish though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

was that jimmy magee commentating on the germany match?!? he kept on calling Fritz "Frings" and he was talking some mad crap about sending the managers to bed without supper or somethin like that and "Thomas Frings is such a strong player". who??!?!?! how does that muppet have a job doin that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

That legend Mark "il work anywhere for a few quid" Lawerson came out with a few classics during the Germany Austria game last night. Some of the Austrians missed a header, and he was "ooh new shampoo" wtf??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

gogglebok wrote: »

Brilliant :pac:

Jaysus he was having a shocker in the Austria Germany game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Trevor Steven is the only one of the RTE commentry/co-commentators team that has some level of competency in what he does....

George Hamilton: "Well my goodness that was a goal and a half!!!" huh? Well he caught himself out there one day (last WC06 I think) when at the half-time whistle he proclaimed "Well that was a half and a half!!!!"

Jimmy Magee: This perplexing yet mildly amusing creature emerges every 2 summers from his cryogenic cold storage capsule to commentate on football from this strange future world of 2008 A.D........except he thinks its 1957

Darragh Moloney: Cant seem to comment on anything without putting "....unbelievable!!!!" at the end of his sentences

Stephen Alkin: Shouldnt this guy be doin Monday Night Soccer?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

I try to kill the TV volume and listen to 5Live whenever possible. Their commentators are not all great but generally I prefer them to any TV crowd. Greeney and Ingham are unbeatable as a combo imo but unfortunately Waddle seems to be their star analyst this time around. Collymore has always impressed me and I wish they used Gabriele Marcotti (more?) for this tournament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Roar wrote: »
    the man's a legend [Alan Green], and the best in the business, along with martin tyler

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Green_%28broadcaster%29

Alan Green is a grade A tw*t. Can't stand him. /// I support Everton by the way ;)
    I'm missing Bill too. What's going on? Wish Brady was there instead of Whelan too.

Commentators I enjoy listening to:

George Hamilton (legend)
    Clive Tyldesley (best ITV have to offer)
    Motty (getting on a bit but I still like him)
    Lawro (love the quips)
    Jim Beglin (wish ITV would let him come home!)

Commentators I can tolerate:

Darragh Moloney ('Oh what a super goal!' Yeah he's OK)
    Ray Houghton (I think he's decent)
    Trevor Steven (didn't like him at first but he's grown on me since)
    David Pleat (he's also getting on a bit but he's fine)
    Jimmy Magee (getting tougher to tolerate at this stage I'm afraid)
    Mark Bright (again I can only just about tolerate him)

Commentators I cannot stand:

Kenny Cunningham (big turn-off for me. Sorry Kenny)
    Mark Kinsella (he's not up to it I'm afraid)
    Stephen Alkin (his voice grates)

Is the guy from RTE who also does the GAA games out there? He does some games for the Premiership coverage. I like him. Also I'm really missing Barry Davies from the BBC. He was a bloody legend. The Beeb didn't give him enough respect.

With regards to commentators, I have to agree with the BBC's Barry Davies. He had such a distinctive voice and was a very good commentator.. Miss him commentating I have to say. Was watching a game on ESPN classic there last night and he was commentating. Classic!

With regards to the current batch across the channels I like:

John Motson
    George Hamilton

I'm not mad about anything that ITV has to offer. I think their football programs in general are quite poor with second rate pundits usually.

Jimmy Magee is a legend and his sports knowledge is remarkable, but he is getting on a bit. Forgetting names etc. I loved listening to Murray Walker for the F1, but he got the same near the end of his career. I'd say this might be the last gig for Jimmy the legend!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Bill - "What do you think of Group B gentlemen?"
    Souness - "Looks abit like World War II, Bill".

Souness - "Croatia were a little bit tippy tappy for me".

Dunphy - "Real Madrid are offering ronaldo €250,000 a week after tax, he has a model girlfriend, he's 23, he's good looking, I hate him"

Dunphy - "Sergio Ramos is like Paul McShane on steroids".

Dunphy – “Luca Toni is a poor mans Peter Crouch”

Quote by Jimmy Magee, in the Portugal v Czech game.
    He was talking about the midfielder for Portugal who had just taken a shot at goal.

"He is clearly a privileged spectator as that is the first thing he has done all day"

Jimmy Magee again : and the ball is passed wide to Ricardo Ronaldo '...Kinsella was too polite to correct him then a min later he says...'I just promoted the Portuguese goalkeeper to the wing'.

Jimmy Thegee again: "This must be the most attacks by an Italian team in an international match in the first 16 minutes than anyone can remember"

Dunphy - "Holland look good but they haven’t played a proper team yet"
    Brady - "They beat Italy 3-0 and France 4-1, two WC finalists. What do you mean a proper team?"
    Dunphy - "Sweden"

Mark Kinsella after 15 minutes of the match between Austria & Germany..............

"I see what the Austrians are tryin to do here, they are tryin to stop the Germans playing football"

Mark Kinsella when the challenge was made on lahm (which resulted in ballacks stunning freekick)...........talkin bout the austrian who brought lahm down "he really needed to make that tackle........doesnt matter bout the free kick lahm was on a good run".............ballack riffles one home.........."ya see needless freekicks cost ya

Jimmy again: klasnic has socred for poland, they lead one nil" then it shows the replay and he realise it was a goal against poland and he says " of course that was Klanic of portugal who got the goal

BILL:
    "Just one interesting point.Italy have now qualified for the quarter final with 4 points ,when last time they failed to qualify with 5 points.Whatever that means,i don't know" Smile

Souness - "I agree with Liam......"
    Dunphy - "Its Eamon"
    Souness - "Sorry, whats your name....haha....good job Liams not here"

Rte discussing Italys second goal against France

Souness: Henry didn't want 2 know too concerned in covering his manhood that he turned his back on d ball

Dunphy: Tink it was a bit low to b worried about his manhood

Giles : Eamonn how do u know his manhood doesnt go down dat low

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

during the Italy Romania game with 20 mins to go Jimmy named all the attacting options italy had on the bench except for Fabio Quagliarella unfortunately for jimy thats who Donnadoni decided to bring on.
    Jimmy pronounced his name 4 different ways for his first 4 touches of the ball before settling on one of them.

I like Jimmy McGee though he has done every euro championship and the the world cups since the 60's you cant buy experence like taht sure he forgets the names and is confused by these new positions but he exudes a genuine love for the game that the others lack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Jim Ross ftw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Jimmy Magee will always have a place in my heart after his comments at France 98 during a Brazil match: 'there's plenty of Brazilian talent on the pitch, (camera cuts to two Brazilian fans in bikini tops and shorts in the crowd), and there's plenty of Brazilian talent in the stands too!!'

The same match gave rise to this legendary goal and commentary :)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBKSqYkVRRc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Not really a comment on the commentry but those graphics that rte put on before the games are pure ****e.
    They are trying to copy sky sports but its just so cheap.

And is there any chance that they could give control of the replays to the pundits?
    Hearing dunphy grunt and gasp when they get it wrong is hilarious but it looks so unprofessional.

Have a look on youtube for the RTE USA 94 footage and look at the set design and graphics they used then.....todays look brilliant by comparison! Dunphy with his brown curly hair :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Jimmy Magee will always have a place in my heart after his comments at France 98 during a Brazil match: 'there's plenty of Brazilian talent on the pitch, (camera cuts to two Brazilian fans in bikini tops and shorts in the crowd), and there's plenty of Brazilian talent in the stands too!!'

The same match gave rise to this legendary goal and commentary :)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBKSqYkVRRc

Ah I remember that! What a legend!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Haven't heard Mark Bright myself so far, but apparently he described Schweinsteiger's goal last night as 'a tap-in' :rolleyes:

Haven't heard Mark Bright myself so far, but apparently he described Schweinsteiger's goal last night as 'a tap-in' :rolleyes:

For a player as good as The Pig Farmer, it was a mere tap in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

Bring back Mr. Bojangles, Ron Atkinson. For every corner he ever commentated on...

'The big guns are coming up from the back'

Yeah come back big Ron, all is forgiven. Who else could leave us with utterly unforgettable quotes such as:

"I think that was a moment of cool panic there"
    "Beckenbauer really has gambled all his eggs"
    "He sliced the ball when he had it on a plate"
    "Someone in the England team will have to grab the ball by the horns"
    "I tell you what, if the Cameroons get a goal back here they're literally gonna catch on fire"
    "Davor Suker - first touch like a camel"
    "The Spaniards have been reduced to aiming aimless balls into the box"
    "Chelsea look like they've got a couple more gears left in the locker"
    "He had acres of time there"
    "He was lightning slow"
    "Tony Adams - He's a rock that the team has grown from"
    "A ten foot keeper really should have stopped that"
    "The keeper was unsighted - he still didn't see it"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

I like everyone on RTE except Houghtan and Whelan!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Andy Gray :(, Tommy Smyth and Derek Rae on ESPN/ESPN 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Just noticed that at half-past ten tonight there's a programme on BBC 1 about commentators...
    On the Ball: the Story of Sports Commentary
    Adrian Chiles narrates a celebration of 80 years of the finest British sports commentary. On the Ball features a blend of memorable sporting moments and interviews with sport stars

Might be worth a look.

Just noticed that at half-past ten tonight there's a programme on BBC 1 about commentators...

Might be worth a look.

The latter half of the program will be a Motson love in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

monkey9 wrote: »
    Rte discussing Italys second goal against France

Souness: Henry didn't want 2 know too concerned in covering his manhood that he turned his back on d ball

Dunphy: Tink it was a bit low to b worried about his manhood

Giles : Eamonn how do u know his manhood doesnt go down dat low

What the hell??

RTE bigging up Russia now, am I correct in thinking they thought they were crap at the start.

Might be worth a look.

Watching it now, quite good imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭genericgoon

RTE bigging up Russia now, am I correct in thinking they thought they were crap at the start.

Do you mean at the start of the tounament becuase Im pretty sure at least one of them backed them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Is there anything that can be done about Houghton ? Would we get anywhere if we all complained to RTE ? Absolutely everyone I know cant stand him. If he is commentating, I switch to BBC or ITV.

• Advertisement
Advertisement