Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is my motherboards DIMM slots broken?

Options
  • 11-06-2008 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭

Only 1 out of 4 of my memory slots seem to work. the last one is the only one that i can put ram in in which i get the computer to post. The rest of them wont post when i put the ram into them.

It seems strange that 3 out of 4 dont seem to work. Could this be a bios problem?

I am trying to build two simple enough gaming comps for young cousins.

The mobo is xfx nvidia 650i ultra. I have google'd away but have not found any reason for the slots not to work. It could be a simple problem or a very technical one. Either way i have no idea.

If anyone has had any experience with this it would be great if you could help out.

I have purchased two motherboards in the last 2 months off ebay which were being sold as new and they both have big enough problems.

Last time i order comp parts off ebay id say.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭takumi

could be the memories, try switching same mems on different slots maybe?
    if not maybe something is caught on the board. maybe a screw. had that problem once. , if all else fails then return the mobo i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭bogwalrus

i was on to the xfx support (who replied very quickly) and they said the board is picky about ram or something. They said i should update the bios and see if it is still broke. If so look up recommened ram for the board. Pretty annoying really. I do believe the slots are just broke. I will try giving them a propper cleaning before i buy any new ram.

thanks for advice though:)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

bogwalrus wrote: »
    i was on to the xfx support (who replied very quickly) and they said the board is picky about ram or something. They said i should update the bios and see if it is still broke. If so look up recommened ram for the board. Pretty annoying really. I do believe the slots are just broke. I will try giving them a propper cleaning before i buy any new ram.

thanks for advice though:)

Don't clean them, any traces of cleaning solution can void the warranty.

Advertisement