Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lamb Breast

• 11-06-2008 8:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭

Lamb Breast? any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Stuffing. Roll.
    Oven. Roast.
    Slice. Eat. Done

(with apologies to Gordon Ramsey :))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭ClassicDisaster

Alun wrote: »
    (with apologies to Gordon Ramsey :))

he could very well sue you for that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Think Hugh Fernely whathisname had a recipe involving it on River Cottage Spring last week. It'll probably be on C4 website?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Alun wrote: »
    Stuffing. Roll.
    Oven. Roast.
    Slice. Eat. Done

Watch the sequencing: you recommend eating it before it is done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

I have (as far as I'm aware!) never eaten lamb breast, sounds good though. I'll have to have a google of it.

If it's tender, how about bashing a few pieces and marinading with mint, garlic and lemon for a bbq?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I saw this recipe earlier and thought it sounded interesting.

http://www.recipes.co.nz/parmesan-and-herb-crusted-lamb-schnitzels-?pid=f7d9d9fb-3ac5-4c6b-85b8-e25b4a36da18

It says use lamb "schintzels" but presumably would be nice with lamb breasts. Just flatten them first.

There's some other nice lamb recipes on that site too.

EDIT: Is lamb breast similar to pork steak though? In my head it's smoother than that and could be made in to schnitzels but I could be wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

watna wrote: »
    EDIT: Is lamb breast similar to pork steak though? In my head it's smoother than that and could be made in to schnitzels but I could be wrong.

More like pork belly than pork steak. Breast of lamb has layers of meat and fat that do well when cooked slowly to break down and release the fat.

Tamasin Day Lewis has a good recipe for a Grillade of Breast of Lamb - but it needs several days cooking to enable some of the fat released in the cooking to be picked out.

Stuff it, roll it and slowly roast it or mince it for kebabs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Minder wrote: »
    More like pork belly than pork steak. Breast of lamb has layers of meat and fat that do well when cooked slowly to break down and release the fat.

Thanks for that. I'll be avoiding lamb breast for sure!

Scratch my idea OP, it would be like leather. I was thinking more of pork fillet too.

ok, im thinkin of boning and roling it, cooking in lamb stock, allowing to cool in the stock and then brownining in a pan with oil and butter. and...adding some soryt of sauce, possibly a homemade mint and parsly sauce to cut the fat a bit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Sounds like it is worth trying. At worst, you will live up to your user name. A couple of observations:
    - I'm a bit bored by mint sauce with lamb, but you can get a very good effect if you add mint to it before you roll it.
    - I'd brown it in a light oil like groundnut; the real challenge with lamb is to lower the fattiness, not add to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

ok, im thinkin of boning and roling it, cooking in lamb stock, allowing to cool in the stock and then brownining in a pan with oil and butter. and...adding some soryt of sauce, possibly a homemade mint and parsly sauce to cut the fat a bit?

Fine if it is at the leaner end of the scale, but poaching it will not release as much fat as a slow roast.

Good luck, let's know how it turns out.

ok, did the lamb. was nice but the skin held alot of fat in. im plannimng on doing this dish for a group of 15 people, would removing the very top lair of skin alow the majority of fat to melt out or would it just cause the meat to become dry?

BTW, i dont do mint sauce often, or atall realy, thats why i was thinking mint and parsley vinigerette?

Advertisement