Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banning dogs from the Prom..

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Anyone else find the news on the ront of the Galway Indo a bit bizarre? The plan to ban doggies from walking the prom and other such areas like Blalyloughane and Silver Strand...

http://www.galwayindependent.com/local-news/local-news/%27barking-mad%27-by%11laws-put-mutts-off-beaches-/

Is this for real? I actually thought it was a joke...

I think its just the beach itself, I don't think they're banned from the prom. More's the pity... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Okay just the beaches then? still seems a little ridiculous in my opinion. how on earth do they intend to sheriff this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

And i thought only the Yanks had stupid laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Don't agree with any law that bans people from walking dogs in such places but they need to clamp down on people who don't clean up their dogs' crap. Stepping in dogsh*t is not cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=56203875&postcount=13

What I find weird is that the vote on the above bye-law isin't until the 23rd June, which includes the dog law... unless they split it into different sections and are voting on different dates?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I thought ye were trying to stop ugly girls from your debs!!!! :D

I thought ye were trying to stop ugly girls from your debs!!!! :D

Tsk!! I just think it would be much more in the line of health and safety(as was mentioned in the article) to put more pooper scoopers in place like the aussies have on their promenades..obviously the county council couldnt be arsed with discussing lisbon so have decided to pick something random..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

If you are able to control your dog it should be no problem
    "if dogs are considered to be causing a danger or nuisance to people using the beach."

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Just a law to fine people not picking up their dogs poo from the footpath/beach would do I think.

padi89 wrote: »
    If you are able to control your dog it should be no problem
    "if dogs are considered to be causing a danger or nuisance to people using the beach."

Thats what i thought..the IF
    ..I just cant see them actually being able to be on guard all the time between 9am and 8pm..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

JohnCleary wrote: »
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=56203875&postcount=13

What I find weird is that the vote on the above bye-law isin't until the 23rd June, which includes the dog law... unless they split it into different sections and are voting on different dates?

City Council.....County Council.......City Council.......County Council

You should know the difference by now!

Zzippy wrote: »
    City Council.....County Council.......City Council.......County Council

You should know the difference by now!

D'oh! :o

Weird thing was that the dog/beach thing was in the same bye-law, drafted by the COUNTY Council

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

cornbb wrote: »
    Don't agree with any law that bans people from walking dogs in such places but they need to clamp down on people who don't clean up their dogs' crap. Stepping in dogsh*t is not cool.
    Agreed.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Aurora Borealis

Ridiculous idea! Personally love nothing more than seeing dogs bounding along the prom but I do love dogs. In any even as long as the owner keeps their dog under control then there should no problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

What a lot of nonsense. If the council employed a dog warden and enforced the fines, it could afford to build a whole new city.

Fine people for not clearing up their dog's poos, and for not having a licence, and for not having the dog on a lead where there are cars. The fines are in place, but they're never enforced.

biko wrote: »
    Just a law to fine people not picking up their dogs poo from the footpath/beach would do I think.

There is a law already. Think its a few hundred euro fine.
    Tsk!! I just think it would be much more in the line of health and safety(as was mentioned in the article) to put more pooper scoopers in place like the aussies have on their promenades..obviously the county council couldnt be arsed with discussing lisbon so have decided to pick something random..

There are bags like that on the prom as far as I can remember. It's just that nobody enforces the law properly.

Does this mean that there'll be no ugly chicks allowed on Galway's beaches during the summer? :D

/gets coat....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

cornbb wrote: »

trying looking where you step next time.

in all seriousness though, the council don't half make it hard to do this. they are supposed to supply them brown bag scooper things, yet the dispensers on the prom are ALWAYS empty, and even then it can be hard to source a shop or somewhere that has them in stock. bit of give and take would be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭claw14

"The dispensers on the prom are ALWAYS empty"
    Well bring a scooper/bag with you. Now I am not a dog owner but I like dogs. But I do have a young kid. While it's great to see a dog freely running along the beach it doesn't half put the wind up ya when a dog that’s bigger than your child makes shapes towards him.
    I know everyone on here is responsible and keeps their dog on a leash and cleans up after them, but I'm pissed off with the few people out there :rolleyes: who let their dogs sh#t and p#ss all over the place. On the prom, in your garden, on the beach.
    So like all things Irish the dog law will not be enforced and is a bit over the top, but something has to be done !!!!!!

2cents worth.................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

I bring bags with me, and wipes to clean my hands. Not so difficult.

The only difficulty is where it's hard to find litterbins.

• Advertisement

luckat wrote: »
    I bring bags with me, and wipes to clean my hands. Not so difficult.

The only difficulty is where it's hard to find litterbins.

Nothing like walking the prom with a bag of sh1te over your shoulder :p

Advertisement