Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Correcting Exam Papers Question

• 11-06-2008 8:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 155 ✭✭

Sorry mods, dunno if this should really be here or in the Jobs forum. My logic is the people here have surely done correcting and know the score.

I got a call today putting me on standby for correcting JC maths (Higher lever, paper 1). Apparently this means I go to the conference and if someone drops out I get the gig. I'm wondering does anyone know the chances of people dropping out in the next week (as far as I know there's two other stand by's before me). As well, does anyone have any idea what the pay for going to the conference is like? (I know I could've asked but I was pretty damn grateful for the call.)

Thanks for any answers.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It's hard to say re the standby thing.
    There could be some people who applied and now can't do it due to illness, family circumstances etc., but then there might be none. There are always people who need to be replaced for various reasons, so you could well be called.

As for attendance at the conference, I don't remember the exact amount but I don't think the actual fee is much. You can add on mileage or public transport rates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

Hey, I'm correcting CSPE this year and they've told me that we all get E206 per day we spend at the conference and E206 as an administration fee - this money is the advance pay which we get about 3 days after the conference ends. We get like E140 a night for travel/accom expenses and this is paid in September along with the fee for correcting the papers which varys by subject.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 155 ✭✭m*pp*t

sitstill wrote: »
    Hey, I'm correcting CSPE this year and they've told me that we all get E206 per day we spend at the conference and E206 as an administration fee - this money is the advance pay which we get about 3 days after the conference ends. We get like E140 a night for travel/accom expenses and this is paid in September along with the fee for correcting the papers which varys by subject.

Well that's more than I was expecting for just the conference bit so cool. Thanks Sitstill. Now fingers crossed I get actual scripts to correct too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭sunflower!

hi! im also correcting CSPE this year and when I rang I was told that we would get between 1000 and 1500 within 3 days of the conference and that then we'd get the rest in sept!!!:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

sunflower! wrote: »
    hi! im also correcting CSPE this year and when I rang I was told that we would get between 1000 and 1500 within 3 days of the conference and that then we'd get the rest in sept!!!:confused:

well normally they give you an advance on what you are due to get paid, probably as an incentive to do the work and then when you send in your claim form when you have finished marking you are paid the balance, normally in september.

if someone is on standby they won't have this advance payment set up as they won't know if they are going to be correcting or not until the day of the conference.

• Advertisement

We get like E140 a night for travel/accom expenses and this is paid in September along with the fee for correcting the papers which varys by subject.

The overnight expenses are only paid if you are more than 80km from Athlone.

sunflower! wrote: »

It's actually very confusing! If we get this much as an advance, then how much are we getting over all??? I was told I'd get about 1500 altogether in September

It's actually very confusing! If we get this much as an advance, then how much are we getting over all??? I was told I'd get about 1500 altogether in September

there's no set amount. expenses aside, you get paid per script corrected. so the more scripts you have the more you get paid. you should get between 300-400 papers. Also each subject has a different rate of pay per paper. So there's no point for example in me quoting the rate for Ag Science which is what i correct because it's probably not the same as CSPE.

1500 is a ballpark figure because if you assume €3.50 per paper (and i don't know what the rate is) and you correct 350 papers, that is €1225 + expenses. There's no point worrying about it now.
    If you get an advance of €1500 now that will be taken off your final total in september and you will be paid the balance. so if your total for corrections and expenses comes in as €1782 and you got an advance of €1500 you will be paid the remaining €282 in September.

To be honest i've never got an advance of more than €1200

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭sunflower!

i asked how much it was per paper and i was told it will be 7.50 but in cspe you are really getting 2 because you will have the action project and the exam paper!! and she did say there was an average of 325 papers per person. A friend of mine applied only two weeks ago and is not a qualified teacher but has been accepted to correct cspe therefore i doubt they have enough correctors so we'll prob be getting more than the average 325!! fingers crossed:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

Ive just been reading the instructions booklet that i got in the post, and it says that in order to avail of overnight expenses you have to stay in athlone the night before the conference starts ....i had only planned on staying one night

where do people usually stay...b&bs or hotels? what are other people doing?

• Advertisement

I booked a hotel for the two nights. I'm coming down from Dublin so it'd be too much hassle to go down that morning. Apparently you just give in your receipt and you get the money back eventually.

Nead21 wrote: »
    Ive just been reading the instructions booklet that i got in the post, and it says that in order to avail of overnight expenses you have to stay in athlone the night before the conference starts ....i had only planned on staying one night

where do people usually stay...b&bs or hotels? what are other people doing?

unless they start looking for receipts they aren't going to know where you stayed. I live 81km from Athlone and I always drive down that morning.

I booked a hotel for the two nights. I'm coming down from Dublin so it'd be too much hassle to go down that morning. Apparently you just give in your receipt and you get the money back eventually.

Just don't go for anything too expensive. overnight allowance is capped at €140, that includes your meals for the day. IE if you claim for an overnight stay you will be given €140 regardless of your expenses. Expenses aren't based on what you spent as such. Otherwise everyone would be going for the 5 star hotel and 4 course evening meal. If you don't know anyone living in athlone just book a B&B

Just don't go for anything too expensive. overnight allowance is capped at €140, that includes your meals for the day. IE if you claim for an overnight stay you will be given €140 regardless of your expenses. Expenses aren't based on what you spent as such. Otherwise everyone would be going for the 5 star hotel and 4 course evening meal. If you don't know anyone living in athlone just book a B&B

Is it 140 per night or 140 altogether? I have to stay for two nights so will I get 280?

Is it 140 per night or 140 altogether? I have to stay for two nights so will I get 280?

140 per night.

Advertisement