Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

EMERGECY!! Driving test in the morning and need bulb!!

Options
  • 11-06-2008 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know where i could get a parking light bulb at this hour of the evening for a 99 Opel Astra??? gf has her driving test at 8am but her inside parking light is blown. Living in Clondalkin.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭landydef

halfords liffey valley or tallaght close at 9

• Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Or else, borrow one.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

Most garages (petrol stations) carry a good range of the most common bulbs, bring the old one and try to match it up.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Cheers all. Got one in the local garage. Had panic hat on and wasnt thinking :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

I have an unopened bulb here but i dont know what part of car its for.

I had bought it for a 2001 yaris.

Unfortunately i am all the way over in santry.

You got one!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Glad you got it sorted Scruff.
    Is it necessary to have lights on during the test?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

kbannon wrote: »
    I think they test them don't they ?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,902 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You must demonstrate you know how to use them, and if a bulbs broken when doing that, you've failed the test. Plus, if it rains during the test....

However, parking light bulb might not be illuminated or noticeable depending on the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭tdc

yeah the instructor checks that theyre all working before you set off. glad to hear you got it sorted!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

They check front lights, indicators and brake lights. It they are not working, the test is abandoned. It is probably possible to get away with a blown parking light though (although certainly not worth the risk).

For anyone doing the test, have spare bulbs for all the above and arrive at the test centre about 20 minutes beforehand and check them. It's madness to risk your test being abandoned for something that could easily have been rectified.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

They check front lights, indicators and brake lights. It they are not working, the test is abandoned. It is probably possible to get away with a blown parking light though (although certainly not worth the risk).

For anyone doing the test, have spare bulbs for all the above and arrive at the test centre about 20 minutes beforehand and check them. It's madness to risk your test being abandoned for something that could easily have been rectified.

that is what happened to my lady :) we checked the lights a day before, but when she started the test one of them didn't work, so she failed :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Lucifer

same happened to a friend, he checked all lights, headed off for test center. when the tester checked them the brake lights were not working at all, he even checked himself with the tester pushing the pedal with the ign on. Nothing he could do, but then when he got home he checked them and they have worked ever since! (he is sure the ignition was on and even tried with the engine running)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

Lucifer wrote: »
    same happened to a friend, he checked all lights, headed off for test center. when the tester checked them the brake lights were not working at all, he even checked himself with the tester pushing the pedal with the ign on. Nothing he could do, but then when he got home he checked them and they have worked ever since! (he is sure the ignition was on and even tried with the engine running)

How could he be sure they've worked ever since? Does someone else drive him around in a trailer, towed behind his car?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

yup they test them alright. She passed the test too! Finally can get rid of the loser plates off our car :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Gil_Dub wrote: »
    How could he be sure they've worked ever since? Does someone else drive him around in a trailer, towed behind his car?
    LOL :D

Advertisement