Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going to Smart

Options
  • 11-06-2008 8:29pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I am at last in a position to get Smart Telecom.
    Had to work my way frm BT back to Eircom etc.......
    Anyone know how long the change takes.
    Any way to spped it up?
    Are thier speeds as good as they say?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Are you back with eircom now? If so, it generally takes about 2 weeks, I think mine was 9 days from order to the modem arriving. Speeds are always good, never been any drop off and I'm on 7Mbps.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Sounds good cant wait...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

What speed you getting

I guess that's aimed at me, since koolkid hasn't got broadband yet. I get 6-6.5Mbps pretty much all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭pjproby

surely you were able to go straight from bt to smart.
    i did.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

jor el wrote: »
    I guess that's aimed at me, since koolkid hasn't got broadband yet. I get 6-6.5Mbps pretty much all the time.

What i meant is what package has KoolKID ordered

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I have ordered 6 meg Barnicles,
    PJ Proby any time I asked I was told you needed to transfer the line back to Eircom before you could change to Smart.
    Anyway done now cant wait. Thanks for all the replys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Get0fix

Hey Koolkid.
    Please let me know once you have changed across and what the service is like. I'm currently on NTL 6mb and looking to move to Smart to make use of their uncapped offers.
    I have heard and read good things about Smart, but would like your opinion as a new customer, so please post back here when you get it.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

Get0fix wrote: »
    I have heard and read good things about Smart, but would like your opinion as a new customer, so please post back here when you get it.

My only gripe about Smart is that there is no support outside 9-5/Mon-Fri. If something goes wrong outside those hours (as happened to me last weekend) you are screwed.

After using BT I dont think this will be a problem. I lost count of the ammount of times I called them regarding no internet. They would constantly tell you there was no problem their end & I even had one CSR telling me I should uninstall my firewall only to discover an hour later that there was really a fault their end.
    Smart have to be better than that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

Don't get me wrong, Smart are the best of the bunch from what I have seen (I'm a former BT/Imagine/DigiWeb metro customer).

pjproby wrote: »
    surely you were able to go straight from bt to smart.
    i did.

You should be able to alright, but given BT's propensity for ignoring customer requests, I wouldn't (and didn't) chance it.
    My only gripe about Smart is that there is no support outside 9-5/Mon-Fri. If something goes wrong outside those hours (as happened to me last weekend) you are screwed.

You can still use the support forums (unless your broadband is gone completely of course) and I have gotten responses evenings and weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

jor el wrote: »
    You should be able to alright, but given BT's propensity for ignoring customer requests, I wouldn't (and didn't) chance it.

My brother went directly from BT to Smart without a problem :D

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭sirspamalot

I agree. Smart are the best I have dealt with and my wife works for BT Broadband (eek!)

I suffered a complete loss of service a month ago and it took 3 weeks to fix the issue .(Eircom engineer unplugged the wrong cable at the exchange, 'wouldn't ackowledge it) but SMART have refunded a months' fee and upped my speed to 8MB/1MB for the next 6 months. Plus, they called me back when they said they would.

Even my wife won't do that.

Regards,

S.

Well my line switched to Smart today & I'm enjoying lovely fast 6meg broadband.
    Modem hasn't arrived yet but its working fine on Zyxel so I'm a happy bunny!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Get0fix

Great stuff - well enjoy, post some speed tests when you get a chance. Also, where are you based?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭corkproducers

Anyone know if you can switch from Perlico to Smart directly?

We have a BT Voyager 2110 wireless modem with Perlico, i think we are the owners of it, would it be possible to configure this to use with smarts broadband?

Edit:

Found the settings needed for smart here:

http://support.smarttelecom.ie/bbsettings.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭tom_ass19

im also thinking of changing to smart but not too sure about it. Im a gamer and im just sick of getting lag every day. So would smart be the best option for me. Id just be getting the 4mb line

tom_ass19 wrote: »
    im also thinking of changing to smart but not too sure about it. Im a gamer and im just sick of getting lag every day. So would smart be the best option for me. Id just be getting the 4mb line

The upload rate is only 256Kb (well it says this in the faq, but in the new package leaflet it only says 200kb, not sure how true that is).

So that works out at 32KB's or KILOBYTES per second, which is the unit we're used to seeing when browsing.

So you gotta decide if it will be enough for the games youre using.

Smart offer a 1 meg upload addon for €10 a month

• Advertisement

The upload rate is only 256Kb (well it says this in the faq, but in the new package leaflet it only says 200kb, not sure how true that is).

So that works out at 32KB's or KILOBYTES per second, which is the unit we're used to seeing when browsing.

So you gotta decide if it will be enough for the games youre using.

ah oki. well the game ill be playing is counter strike source if that gives you an idea if it will be oki. Im not too sure myself so any advice is appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

The upload speed needed for online gaming is always greatly exaggerated, 256kbit should do the job just fine. If it were me I would get the 4mbit/256kbit package and try it out, if it seems like you could use more just upgrade to the 1meg upload.

cheers nice one man

Yep, especially for counter strike source, it shouldnt use much at all.

Advertisement