Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung i900 Omnia - iPhone's biggest competition?

• 11-06-2008 8:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭

Details from http://www.gsmarena.comsamsung-i900-00.jpg
    SAMSUNG i900 - Announced June 9th 2008 - Expected release June/July '08
    2G Network - GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
    3G Network - HSDPA 850 / 1900 / 2100
    Dimensions 112 x 56.9 x 12.5 mm
    Weight 127 g
    Display Type TFT touchscreen, 65K colors
    Size 240 x 400 pixels, 3.2 inches
    Accelerometer sensor for auto-rotate
    Handwriting recognition
    Ringtones Type Polyphonic, MP3
    Vibration Yes
    Memory Phonebook Practically unlimited entries and fields, Photocall
    Call records Practically unlimited
    Card slot microSD (TransFlash), up to 16GB
    - 128 MB RAM, 256 MB ROM
    - 624MHz Marvell PXA312 processor
    - 8 GB/16 GB internal memory
    Data GPRS Class 10 (4+1/3+2 slots), 32 - 48 kbps
    HSCSD No
    EDGE Class 10, 236.8 kbps
    3G HSDPA, 7.2 Mbps
    WLAN Wi-Fi 802.11b/g
    Bluetooth Yes, v2.0 with A2DP
    Infrared port No
    USB Yes, v2.0
    Features OS Microsoft Window Mobile 6.1 Professional
    Messaging SMS, EMS, MMS, Email, Instant Messaging
    Browser WAP 2.0/xHTML, HTML, RSS feeds
    Games Yes + Java downloadable
    Colors Silver
    Camera 5 MP, 2592х1944 pixels, autofocus, image stabiliser, video, flash; secondary videocall camera
    - Built-in GPS receiver
    - Java MIDP 2.0
    - FM Radio with RDS
    - MSOffice document viewer
    - MP3/AAC/AAC+/WMA/OGG/AMR player
    - DivX/XviD/WMV/MP4 player
    - TV Out
    - Voice memo
    - Built-in handsfree

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,255 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Looks good, I might get myself one of these if the price is better than the I-Phone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Ok - this is my next phone :Drool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,252 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

The LG KU990 (Viewty) has outsold the iphone nearly 10 to 1 in europe....aka the iphone killer!!

Samsung have a bit to go yet before they catch up wit LG in the touchscreen department...

Nice phone, pity it's not an lg;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Nice phone and should be more fully featured than an iPhone. I would say the biggest thing the iphone has going for it is it's OS. It's less clunky than the windows OS. Plus as it's basically a cut down version of the Mac desktop OS it will likely improve far quicker.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

The LG KU990 (Viewty) has outsold the iphone nearly 10 to 1 in europe....aka the iphone killer!!

Samsung have a bit to go yet before they catch up wit LG in the touchscreen department...

This is an upgrade option for me but no GPS and I found the interface very clunky. Nice phone though especially for watching movies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭art

That "today" screen they are showing there is a mess, real turn off. Nice enough look to the hardware but not impressive software.

art wrote: »
    That "today" screen they are showing there is a mess, real turn off. Nice enough look to the hardware but not impressive software.

The youtube video links in gsmarena demonstrate the "today~" screen much better showing how you configure it with a swipe of the finger.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Frankmagnet

Will windows mobile 6 work with a macbook, Thinking of getting both the onmia and macbook at xmas and wondering if they are compatible?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

This is an upgrade option for me but no GPS and I found the interface very clunky. Nice phone though especially for watching movies.

Is it available on an Irish network? I can't seem to find any.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Got one a few days ago. Yep I do like!

Using it for PDA is so handy. One thing, don't upgrade your firmware yet as the rom is kinda buggy.

Getting it to work with 3 for Internet was fine but MMS is tricky.

So far so good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Is this for sale in Ireland now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Dont think so, not seen it anywhere yet anyway.
    I got mine on Ebay.

god's toy wrote: »
    Dont think so, not seen it anywhere yet anyway.
    I got mine on Ebay.

Dammit :mad:

Anybody know when this is coming out over here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

The Nokia Tube is nice.

After enquiring to Vodafone about this phone, this is the response I got:
    Dear Mr
    Thank you for contacting us with your query. Currently we have novplans in releasing the Samsung i900. If you have any further queries, please call us on FreeFone 1907 andwe will be happy to assist you.
    Yours sincerely

Vodafone Customer Care Team

I wonder are any other providers planning on releasing it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

I had a play with this phone in a Vodafone shop oer here in London today...................

Its clunky, thats the best way of putting it. Its not that nice on the eye as a phone and the interface is slow as hell.

Moving between contacts and sms for example, there is massive lag, about 3 seconds.

Once past the Samsung interface, WinMo 6.1 looks utter rubbish, with bad integration of the touch interface.

An example of this is when you have to use the scroll bar to move around!!! Why cant I just drag the screen?

Have a look on youtube to see what I mean about the clunkyness of the interface.

Poor phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭xbox36016

still get a iphone samsung phones are so s.hit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

jimbo78 wrote: »
    After enquiring to Vodafone about this phone, this is the response I got:

I wonder are any other providers planning on releasing it?

as samsung slapped on their touchwhiz ui to improve on the finger-unfriendly wm ui, I would not buy the omnia from any network that then messes with the firmware ;) it can only go wrong - check what happened to samsung's f700 and vodafone: once unbranded it's much much faster!
    Buy the omnia sim free...

as to the complaints about the slow ui reported by some: it IS a wm device, and like windows on your desktop it requires regular unjunking ;)
    I'm not surprised if a phoneshop trial model is slow with countless wm "virgins" trying it! The browser cache alone can quickly accumulate megamegamegabytes of rubbish in no time...
    Treated well, wm devices can be stopped from getting slower/laggy ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Probably because it's about 120e less than the cheapest iPhone, plus it's available on more than one network per country. The Viewty is nowhere near as good as the iPhone for what the iPhone does (web, music, touch screen). Better camera, and better options for video player (ie DivX support) but for the most part, I'd rather have the iPhone each time.

ahem... Samsung and Motorola rule the world-wide touchscreen phone market with shares of 33 and 30% respectively! Apple are piffle players...heck piffle-niche players! Don't believe the hype, man from the big banana ;) !!! LG have waaaaaaay to go also! Us Europeans are not getting half the goodies, and if we did, we'd shrug off the iphone as "that gadget malware device" that it is ;)

• Advertisement

I got fed up waiting for this to be released so just bought a tocco!

Bryn wrote: »
    I got fed up waiting for this to be released so just bought a tocco!
    Im also sick of waiting.
    Is the tocco any good?
    Im torn between it and the Samung U900

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭xbox36016

no get a iphone than

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭NeoRox

jimbo78 wrote: »
    Im also sick of waiting.
    Is the tocco any good?
    Im torn between it and the Samung U900

From my experience with the Tocco no, had two of them in the space of a week. Sound was dodgy on the first on and the battery on the second. Enjoyed the touch screen though. Went back to a nokia, I think they are releasing a touch screen phone either late this year or early next.

Have no experience of the U900

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭jammer84

god's toy wrote: »
    Got one a few days ago. Yep I do like!

Using it for PDA is so handy. One thing, don't upgrade your firmware yet as the rom is kinda buggy.

Getting it to work with 3 for Internet was fine but MMS is tricky.

So far so good.

Where can the firmware be located for the Samsung Omnia. I bought a vodafone omnia here in ireland and I cannot figure out where to get a firmware update.

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭STBR

REALLY?

Wow.

I just bought the successor to the Viewty - the Renoir.

So maybe that'll happen with this too.

What a phone. :D

So much better than th iPhone. Haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭STBR

Get an LG Renoir - It's better than any of the phones mentioned here.

Hands down.

jammer84 wrote: »
    Where can the firmware be located for the Samsung Omnia. I bought a vodafone omnia here in ireland and I cannot figure out where to get a firmware update.

cheers

http://mysamsungomnia.wordpress.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭jimmyjim11

Bryn wrote: »
    Dammit :mad:

Anybody know when this is coming out over here?

Seen one in Vodafone shop € 499 i think RTG with a massive €20 FREE credit :pac::pac:

Any one buy on E-bay ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

strecker wrote: »
    ahem... Samsung and Motorola rule the world-wide touchscreen phone market with shares of 33 and 30% respectively! Apple are piffle players...heck piffle-niche players! Don't believe the hype, man from the big banana ;) !!! LG have waaaaaaay to go also! Us Europeans are not getting half the goodies, and if we did, we'd shrug off the iphone as "that gadget malware device" that it is ;)

Motorola and touchscreen?? :)
    I woulda thought the major players in the touchscreen market would have been Samsung and HTC- (definitely in the wm market anyway) and palm i suppose.

As for the iphone, i dunno but i always thought moto liked to do the non-touchscreen smartphones.
    (now that i think of it, they have got a couple of touchscreen devices that are big-ish in the US don't they).

Advertisement