Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheating in the exam - heres a grey area

Options
  • 11-06-2008 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

The Dept. is constantly wining about people going into the toilet and cheating, all that sort of the thing, hiding notes in your pocket, on your phone etc etc etc.

A guy in our year is "dislexic".
    Gets to type up his whole leaving cert on a computer, with an always on wireless internet connection in the school. He's supervised by a techer in our school in a small room far away from the examination hall.

Now if that's not the ultimate grey area, where the dept. is over offering concessions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Hmm in the rules for Reasonable Accomodations it says that the wireless on the laptop must be switched off, so I ant see how wireless would help him there! Also with a teacher in the room I imagine it'd be quite hard to openly look stuff up on the internet!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 dshalloo

This cropped up a while back in our school also. The student involved had to send his laptop to the dept of education hes not dislexic, but they disabled internet, spell check and other features on it too

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

It can be done - I know one of the supervisors in out school makes the person outside the door to take down the time that a person leaves to go to the toliet, and the time they came back and their name. In our centre the lads just get up and say that they are going to the toliet, and nothing is said.

It probably won't help that guy, since his dsylexia would hinder him in actually finding the sites, but it could be done!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

He will have a not printed on his cert to say that he was specially accommodated. I was about to say that is a bad thing, but I would probably be called condescending even though Im just stating the truth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭Peslo

turgon wrote: »
    He will have a not printed on his cert to say that he was specially accommodated. I was about to say that is a bad thing, but I would probably be called condescending even though Im just stating the truth.
    Condescending!!! :pac:

But true. . .:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

dshalloo wrote: »
    This cropped up a while back in our school also. The student involved had to send his laptop to the dept of education hes not dislexic, but they disabled internet, spell check and other features on it too
    Couldn't he just have all the notes in a hidden folder on the computer or am I missing something here?

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭EmmetF

I know one of the supervisors in out school makes the person outside the door to take down the time that a person leaves to go to the toliet, and the time they came back and their name.

The supervisor writes the time on ours but I don't see how that stops people from cheating. The time it takes to have a piss would prob be the same as glancing over some notes. Meh, imperfect world.

EmmetF wrote: »
    The supervisor writes the time on ours but I don't see how that stops people from cheating. The time it takes to have a piss would prob be the same as glancing over some notes. Meh, imperfect world.
    Or taking a really large dump.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Has anyone here cheated in the LC?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

Small wireless earpieces can be easily obtained now. If you have a friend sitting same exam who leaves exam early(register for an exam that he/she does'nt need to sit for matriculation/cao points ) he/she can get answers and transmit the information to your earpiece quite discretley from outside exam hall. This has definetly happened in exams in republic of ireland.
    Also if you had a small camera in a pen to image the exam paper and broadcast the image to an accomplice outside he/she could send information to your earpiece. Blockers will have to be installed in years to come.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

I know a guy who wrote loads of information on his thighs,arms and abdomen for some exams, equations,theorems etc and went for dump as required and had loads of usefull data on his body. I did'nt cheat in any exams by way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 *pda

his dsylexia would hinder him in actually finding the sites

em..he's dyslexic, not stupid.

dshalloo wrote: »
    The student involved had to send his laptop to the dept of education hes not dislexic, but they disabled internet, spell check and other features on it too
    They can't do anything that somebody who knows a thing or two about computers can't undo! Coz if they did, they'd invalidate the warrenty. They'd have to be willing to pay for a new laptop if anything ever happed to it where it would normally be covered

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

bigkev49 wrote: »
    Has anyone here cheated in the LC?

I went to the jacks to look at some scribbled notes for Stair na Gaeilge.
    I knew several of them inside out, one of them came up...
    ..and i had the other written down.

Didn't feel bad about it. It's pot luck what comes up there in Stair, and its not like other subjects where SOME of everything should be going in.....we had to learn that stuff ourselves, nightmare stuff. Didn't feel guilty at all.

For what its worth, I did avail of the toilet facilities too :pac:
    So technically, I went to the toilet, found something in my pocket, and gave it a read.

*thats it but. I've done a bit of study, nowhere near anything worth a pat on the back but a bit, and i want to see what it was worth!

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭EmmetF

I'd just like to comment on your sig, PrivateEye. Ehh "At the heart of Europe" you say... I really don't think we'd be as much the heart of Europe than the Tuesday night cummy tissues of Europe if "No" wins...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 804 ✭✭✭BMH

PrivateEye wrote: »
    I went to the jacks to look at some scribbled notes for Stair na Gaeilge.
    I knew several of them inside out, one of them came up...
    ..and i had the other written down.

Didn't feel bad about it. It's pot luck what comes up there in Stair, and its not like other subjects where SOME of everything should be going in.....we had to learn that stuff ourselves, nightmare stuff. Didn't feel guilty at all.

For what its worth, I did avail of the toilet facilities too :pac:
    So technically, I went to the toilet, found something in my pocket, and gave it a read.

*thats it but. I've done a bit of study, nowhere near anything worth a pat on the back but a bit, and i want to see what it was worth!

You went to a Gaelscoil and felt the need to cheat in Irish?

While this isn't an area to discuss the Lisbon Treaty Emmet, HOW in the name of whoever-you-believe-in are FG justified in saying we're at the heart of Europe by reducing our own say and influence within it ;)

Theres an area to discuss Lisbon, this isn't it- needless to say, even though I'm from a staunch FF (since the 20s!) house, I'll be ticking Níl tomorrow morning. 450 Million people without a vote? Vote wisely please. I'd like to keep a commisionare, and keep things as they are. If its not broke...

Now, BMH.

Yeah, I've attended Irish schools all my life.
    Do you know everything about Wuthering Heights because you went to an English school?

Stair na Gaeilge, and how much of it you know, has nothing to do with your ability to speak Irish. It's learning dates and info on useless outdated rubbish. I want to advance the language, learning about rocks and the influence of X on Y is nothing to do with Irish.

HOW THE HELL WOULD IT MAKE A DIFFERENCE IF YOU'RE IN AN IRISH SCHOOL OR NOT WHEN IT COMES TO MEMORISING SOMETHING LIKE STAIR NA GAEILGE?

Gaelscoils use the language across all courses, we didn't sit around for six hours a day memorising stair.....mad isn't it.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭A-Bit-Dodge

Stair na Gaeilge, and how much of it you know, has nothing to do with your ability to speak Irish. It's learning dates and info on useless outdated rubbish. I want to advance the language, learning about rocks and the influence of X on Y is nothing to do with Irish.

Correct and right. And the 30 marks are ALL allocated to information, I think there is 2 makrs out of the 30 that go for Gaeilge so Stair is complete information.... That being said I dont condone your peeking...

Am, is it cheating to repeatedly say all the Sequence and Series formulas in yer head and right them on the inside of your log tables STRAIGHT AWAY when you go inside??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Diarmsquid

While this isn't an area to discuss the Lisbon Treaty Emmet, HOW in the name of whoever-you-believe-in are FG justified in saying we're at the heart of Europe by reducing our own say and influence within it ;)

Theres an area to discuss Lisbon, this isn't it- needless to say, even though I'm from a staunch FF (since the 20s!) house, I'll be ticking Níl tomorrow morning. 450 Million people without a vote? Vote wisely please. I'd like to keep a commisionare, and keep things as they are. If its not broke...

Now, BMH.

Do you know everything about Wuthering Heights because you went to an English school?

HOW THE HELL WOULD IT MAKE A DIFFERENCE IF YOU'RE IN AN IRISH SCHOOL OR NOT WHEN IT COMES TO MEMORISING SOMETHING LIKE STAIR NA GAEILGE?

Gaelscoils use the language across all courses, we didn't sit around for six hours a day memorising stair.....mad isn't it.
    Well I think the point he's making is that you're at advantage, in the Irish exam as a whole, since you go to an Irish school, and that it's ironic that that's the subject you need to cheat in.

And don't try to justify cheating, it makes you look pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭eoin2nc

Diarmsquid wrote: »
    Well I think the point he's making is that you're at advantage, in the Irish exam as a whole, since you go to an Irish school, and that it's ironic that that's the subject you need to cheat in.

And don't try to justify cheating, it makes you look pathetic.

Here here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Correct and right. And the 30 marks are ALL allocated to information, I think there is 2 makrs out of the 30 that go for Gaeilge so Stair is complete information.... That being said I dont condone your peeking...

Am, is it cheating to repeatedly say all the Sequence and Series formulas in yer head and right them on the inside of your log tables STRAIGHT AWAY when you go inside??

Im pretty sure you're not allowed have your own log tables for the exams. You could have just written them down on your answer book at the back or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭A-Bit-Dodge

What?? We HAD to bring our own, only the ordinary got Log tables!!!

Eh...all higher level students in my centre brought in their own tables... Is that not right?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

What?? We HAD to bring our own, only the ordinary got Log tables!!!

Eh...all higher level students in my centre brought in their own tables... Is that not right?

Well either that or it's an automatic fail, not sure tbh :p

Made no effort to 'justify' cheating, I just stated going to an Irish school has NO effect on your ability to learn off useless facts of information. I know people who've cheated so far in maths, english, business, god knows what else...it's not right,obviously. I don't condemn or condone anyone doing it myself, but thats just me.

(**not implying i know anyone whos cheated in ALL of the above, that would be shocking. Just throughout the exams various people have gone to the 'toilet' if you get my point....)

I don't think there's even a need to justify it to be honest. I got an extra bullet point while taking a piss. I wouldn't call the police over it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Diarmsquid

Made no effort to 'justify' cheating, I just stated going to an Irish school has NO effect on your ability to learn off useless facts of information. I know people who've cheated so far in maths, english, business, god knows what else...it's not right,obviously. I don't condemn or condone anyone doing it myself, but thats just me.

I'd still have to disagree here.
    Your standard of Irish is higher than most since you go to a Gaelscoil, so the ability to write Irish, be it useless facts of information or otherwise, comes easier to you. Also, since you don't have to spend as much time studying for paper one, which focuses on the language, you should have no excuse for not looking over the Stair notes (before the exam) like the rest of us.
    I don't think there's even a need to justify it to be honest. I got an extra bullet point while taking a piss. I wouldn't call the police over it :rolleyes:

Who's to say that extra bullet point didn't push you up a grade and deprive someone of their place on a college course? If it's so irrelevant, then why bother in the first place?

It's not how much you cheated, it's the cheating in the first place I have the problem with, and in my opinion, yes, there is definitely a need to justify it. You cheated in the Leaving Cert. Sin é.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Bloke in my school and I swear their is absoloutly nothing wrong with him. But he is in a room on his own with one of OUR school teachers as his supervisor. I am pretty sure she would help him out. The way I look at it though is if he can't do the Leaving Cert, in a quite room (And I am in the room he is meant to be in and it is silent) how the hell is he meant to go to a workplace, he isn't going to get a room on his own to do his job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

It probably won't help that guy, since his dsylexia would hinder him in actually finding the sites, but it could be done!!!

Do you know anything about Dyslexia?

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭devinejay

In paper one of maths I forgot the bloody constant of integration so just before paper two my friend grabbed my hand and wrote "+c" on it in case implicit differentiation came up. I was in permanent marker and all over my hand. I was wondering if that was considered cheating or if the examiner would say anything. She didn't seem to notice. Wouldn't that be a bundle of laughs if I got in trouble!! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭tramoredude

ZorbaTehZ wrote: »
    Do you know anything about Dyslexia?

I know all about SexDyslia

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 804 ✭✭✭BMH

Now, BMH.

I just found your choice of subject a bit odd, that's all.

And if it's not too late, we lose our commissioner in 2009 anyway, and they don't represent national interests so it really doesn't matter if there's an Irishman there or not.

Advertisement