Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Auctions

Options
  • 11-06-2008 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭

Has anybody had success at a car auction? I would like to sell my car reasonably quickly but do not want to be ripped off either. I am aware that the market is very slow at the moment, however!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭s14driftking

your car will sell at auction but ull be lucky to see half of wat its worth

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Golfwidow

I am afraid I probably agree with you and will only use an auction as a last resort. I know I am probably panicking as need the money pronto. Car is priced to sell but has only been up on carzone since weekend.Have a couple of friends who have had no luck selling their cars except one who successfully sold his car by parking it on the side of a busy road with a sign on the window. I have thought of this also but is it risky?

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Brabus

Unfortunately this is true. You'll be very disappointed with what you would get for your car at an auction. Again I would only use it as a last resort as well.

I'm in the same boat as you trying to sell mine as well cos i want to emigrate to Oz.I have it on carzone & half a dozen other websites as well but nothin doing.I know its so frustrating but i think maybe when we get to july and this vrt thing blows over things might start moving again. I hope.
    The market has ground to a halt.Hopefully not for too long.

Another idea might be if you knew a local independent garage or a mechanic they might be able to help you with selling on the car.

I heard somewhere recently that one county council (think it was Clare County Council) is removing cars advertised for sale on the side of roads as they are a possible hazard to other road users.

As usual beauracracy gone mad.(Think i might have spealt that wrong.)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Do you have a link, is it on adverts.ie?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

Golfwidow wrote: »
    one who successfully sold his car by parking it on the side of a busy road with a sign on the window. I have thought of this also but is it risky?

Apparently. this is illegal. Don't think the police would do anything about it but I've seen County Council notices on vehicles with warnings of them taking the cars and destroying them.

Look for "Section 71 Roads Act 1993"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭stretchaq

car sales are just gone terrible but an auction is a disaster!!!!!!!!! market is slow ive being trying to sell an A4 for a month and im selling it cheap but no real intrest except for p/ex jobs i sold my BMW by parking it on the side of the road but do it at weekends when the council arnt working apparently thay can tow cars away but never heard of it happening yet!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Golfwidow

Thanks for all the advice. also selling the car for a very reasonable price, in excellent condition., nct'd...etc...etc...Might try the side of the road at the weekend. Never heard of adverts.ie! Will look it up...

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Brabus

advert.ie is the sister website to this one that we're on.If you're thinking of advertising on it just to know about the rules theres a seperate thread on there telling you how to go about compiling your ad and responding to queries about your car.
    Good luck with selling your car and let us know if you had any success.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I sold a car last year, (sorry can't remember name, place just off N7) with the jigs and the reels of it I ended up out of the country when the car went under the hammer. I have no idea what the car actually sold for but I got the reserve exactly somewhat suspiciously ( and that was low ) then minus hefty fees left me feeling a bit sour to be honest.

In todays market - I wouldn't bother, drop you price on carzone and the same people are likely to buy it if they are looking for what you have - you save yourself the fees at least.

hth

Advertisement