Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

who did grinds?

Options
  • 11-06-2008 9:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 47

just wondering do a lot of people do grinds... i did honours maths grinds this year and last year, i'm not certain i got an a in the exam but i sure as hell didn't panic or freak out!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

I did grinds in biology, got my exam tomorrow and I still think im screwed, just wanna pass the honours paper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 florencexxx

Yep, grinds in Honours Maths, Physics and Chemistry. Maths and Physics saved/will save my life, Chemistry was a bit of a waste

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭22diamonds

been doing grinds in maths and spanish since 5th year, and english grinds in 6th year. It's not that I was falling behind my class, I just unfortunately got a few useless teachers! :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I did OL Maths grinds and I honestly came on leaps and bounds. I'm was terrible at understanding the questions, let alone actually doing them. I didn't do excellent in my paper but I know I passed and that's good enough for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭MattD

I did not get a single grind all year. Although, one in maths might have been useful..

Im still proud that i didnt resort to grinds and stuck to my own abilities and knowhow and didnt waste my money.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Rosstafarian

MattD wrote: »
    Im still proud that i didnt resort to grinds and stuck to my own abilities and knowhow and didnt waste my money.

That was unnecessarily cutting :eek:.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

I dont see the sense in getting grinds in any subject bar a language or honors maths.

Otherwise, they are a total waste of money.

Sure the institute grinds are a social scene on a friday night.

Proud to say, i did not spend one penny on grinds this year.

Either did I but I'm not proud to say it....i just don't care.... why is this even a thread...? It seems like it was just started to put down grinds and people who got them....?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Should I be ashamed that I need help in maths? No. I needed help and I got it. You two are sounding awful high and mighty. Medals in the post for not needing grinds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭MattD

Just because im proud doesnt mean im automatically putting you down :confused:

Im saying i take pride in that i didnt feel the need to do any grinds during the year. i trusted myself and did the work that i could do. Maybe 'waste' was a strong word to use.

I really didnt want to put anyone down, and there was no need for yous to take it personally

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Didnt do any grinds, would have been too lazy + dont like spending all my parents money!! Did classes in Applied Maths though outside school.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭tabouli

I took Irish grinds in fifth year, but gave them up in sixth year because I physically didn't have the time to go anymore. Probably should have kept them up though...:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭MaltEagle

I went to the Institute over Easter!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

I've never had grinds. To me they seem like a bit of a waste of money, only because most people I know who took them didn't pay attention the first time round in class or do the homework or anything.
    But I can understand that some people do actually need them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

I did higher level maths and physics grinds this year.

I don't know if the maths grinds actually helped me with maths, but it definately gave me more confidence in my ability.

Physics helped a lot in understanding everything because our teacher didn't have a clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

Stand by what i said.

One-one grinds, i can understand.

But i know some people that have spent upwards of 2grand of the social scene that is the institute, its a farce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 plug-in-baby

did grinds in biology math english geog ! we have awful teachers in school:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Bryan4president

Got grinds in Physics. Teacher is clueless!! She spent 3 months on light. Its the easiest chapter in the bloody book. :mad:

Nope, no grinds for me.

MattD wrote: »
    Just because im proud doesnt mean im automatically putting you down :confused:

Im saying i take pride in that i didnt feel the need to do any grinds during the year. i trusted myself and did the work that i could do. Maybe 'waste' was a strong word to use.

I really didnt want to put anyone down, and there was no need for yous to take it personally

As I said I didn't take grinds either, so it's not personal in any way. But I'm just saying there's nothing wrong with needing a bit of help or just making sure you do everything you can to get the grade you want... And if you're willing to pay, why not? It certainly can't do any harm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

I never did grinds, I never really needed 'em enough to justify spending the money.
    Some people have said that they're "proud" of not getting grinds - I think that's an extremely stupid and condescending thing to say, as if getting grinds is something to be ashamed of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Livo

Either did I but I'm not proud to say it....i just don't care.... why is this even a thread...? It seems like it was just started to put down grinds and people who got them....?

no i started it just to see how many people got them! they saved my life and a lot of trauma, cos i know the honours maths class would have driven me mad after a while without some outside help... our teacher's lovely but the classes are kinda intense and boring at the same time...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

luvlad wrote: »
    whoever got grinds is a retard
    I believe the only correct response to that is: :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭jennyq

My Irish teacher was off for a big part of 5th year & we had an absolutely dire sub so I got grinds for 6th year 'cos I was a bit worried that I was behind. I would have probably still been okay without but I happened to get them from a really good teacher & got loads of extra notes with loads of detail. It was especially good to get some different stuff for the oral so I wasn't saying the same as everyone else. If you're looking to get a really high grade I'd recommend it cos it means that you've just got that bit extra, but I guess it depends on how good the teacher is how much value they'd be.

whoever got grinds is a retard

okay ouch that's unnecessary. just because you need help in something does NOT make you a "retard". your post is both insulting to the disabled and to those of us who maybe aren't as perfect as you obviously are. get off your capall ard and realise that not everybody is at the same level - some of us need a helping hand to get through the courses we find tougher. in my case it wasn't even that i needed or wanted an a - it was because i knew i could do the honours maths course if i just got some help with it, and i would've gone spare without it.

seriously dude, there's no need to be so mean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 luvlad

Livo wrote: »
    okay ouch that's unnecessary. just because you need help in something does NOT make you a "retard". your post is both insulting to the disabled and to those of us who maybe aren't as perfect as you obviously are. get off your capall ard and realise that not everybody is at the same level - some of us need a helping hand to get through the courses we find tougher. in my case it wasn't even that i needed or wanted an a - it was because i knew i could do the honours maths course if i just got some help with it, and i would've gone spare without it.

seriously dude, there's no need to be so mean.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:Du need help at dat too

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:Du need help at dat too

Obviously a troll.

....hilarious :rolleyes:

retardsssssssssss

Sad. Sorry luvlad but you need grinds on how to not act like a prick.

• Advertisement

Mr.S wrote: »
    Just ignore him.

Good idea.

Advertisement