Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Scolari is new Chelsea manager

• 11-06-2008 9:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭

just announced

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Yep just heard it on the beeb commentary, looks like Ancelotti was a smoke-screen. I wonder how Portugal will react to it being announced in the middle of their campaign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

woodyg wrote: »
    just announced

mneh, beat me to it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,521 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

So I just heard on the match on now. Wonder what he'll bring to the league now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

Dammit, just beat me to it.

I'm not particularly happy. I've always liked him, and he's a really good manager. Being a United fan, I'm not pleased to see him at Chelsea :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

That's mad, Ted

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

just saw on the ESPN soccer net thing i'm keeping up with the match on.

good manager - maybe will attract some of the brazilians. hopefully not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

I'm gonna wager at least 2 more people will come in and make a thread about this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Can expect to see Deco at Chelsea next season so. May explain how they were so quick off the mark to sign Bosingwa too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

Great choice, best of luck Big Phil, hopefully Carvahllo will stay now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

woodyg wrote: »
    just announced

I think he is a good National manager and has done well with Brazil & Portugal but not so sure if he will be up for the challenge at Chelski.

As a manutd fan, this certainly hasnt got me worried about next season. I can't see him last more then 1 season to be honest either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

Does he even speak a word of english?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

mayordenis wrote: »
    just saw on the ESPN soccer net thing i'm keeping up with the match on.

good manager - maybe will attract some of the brazilians. hopefully not.

ronaldhino to chelsea now also deco will head and shev is defo gone.
    drogba may still go but lamps will stay id say.

As a pool fan i aint happy as i think he's a very good coach but sure see what happens

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_3678920,00.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Probley makes Deco's moves a certain now..Im happy..good choice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

glad its not Rijkaard , more managerial entertainment at the bridge next season then.

good choice for chelsea, will have the usual translation issues of course.

surprising timing of this announcement though, thought we'd hear nothing til after the Euros

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

pvt.joker wrote: »
    Does he even speak a word of english?!

Does anyone at Chelsea?

I suppose The Bosigwna signing was a give away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

My instinct reaction is a bit huh! - what's with the timing?

Given the fuss Scolari made re the England manager's job and not making an decision then, tis strange.

Also i wonder if he'll still be saying to Ronaldo that he should go to Madrid?:D

Doesnt exactly strike massive fear in me as a Liverpool supporter, especially if he makes Boswinga first choice on the team sheet :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Interesting...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Uefa cup here we come :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

good luck to that, if he loses a game he will probably get sacked tbh....:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Good choice for the rest of us.

Mike.

We could have have done a whole lot worse.

Thank god it wasn't Manchini or Rijkaard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Big Risk. Really good international manager, but his club record isn't the best. As a Liverpool fan, i'm happy with that appointment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

This will go a long way in keeping Carvalho, and imo, Essien at the club.

I would imagine that Big Phil didn't put up the same fuss as he did with the England job because of what Roman will be splashing out on him. I would imagine he will be the highest paid manager in the world, pippin the recently acquired title from Jose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Are people crying about Avram now?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Are people crying about Avram now?
    i want him back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

Ronaldo is obviously gonna move to Chelsea now.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

I think he's a little over rated as a manger to be honest, especially considering his achievements at club level are virtually unknown. he could well do a good job though despite my reservations, but i don't expect to see the overnight success that the special one brought with him. interesting to see how he get's the team playing. he's a poor enough coach defensively, that's my biggest concern about him, so he might make for an interesting season for the Chelsea fans.

I think he's a little over rated as a manger to be honest, especially considering his achievements at club level are virtually unknown. he could well do a good job though despite my reservations, but i don't expect to see the overnight success that the special one brought with him. interesting to see how he get's the team playing. he's a poor enough coach defensively, that's my biggest concern about him, so he might make for an interesting season for the Chelsea fans.

I would agree to an extent. Possibly a reverse Sven?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

He's def going to tell Ronaldo to go to Madrid now so he won't have to manage against him in the league!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Anyone got info on his club record? A quick glance at wiki doesn't show many big clubs on his CV... He's no Trappatoni! :D

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Does anyone at Chelsea?

Chelsea TV Just confirmed he has v good english.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

Soby wrote: »
    Probley makes Deco's moves a certain now..Im happy..good choice

Ah ****e, that's probably true. Are Chelsea just stockpiling my favourite midfielders (Ballack, Essien and possibly now Deco)?

Next thing they'll sign Scholes and Anderson.

smuckers wrote: »
    Chelsea TV Just confirmed he has v good english.

Must have had some lessons, because I heard him interviewed on Sportsweek about 6 months ago and he had limited English at best. marginally better than Cappello.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Possibly a reverse Sven?

yeah, pretty much what i'm thinking.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

DaveMcG wrote: »
    Anyone got info on his club record? A quick glance at wiki doesn't show many big clubs on his CV... He's no Trappatoni! :D

You don't consider Gremio, Palmeiras and Cruzeiro to be big clubs?

They are some of the biggest clubs in South America ffs.

He won the Copa Libertadores with Palmeiras, among other honours.

He has the International, and Club pedigree.

DaveMcG wrote: »

I remember when he was linked with the England job, Sky Sports News showed his club record, and honestly, it was not impressive at all. He's only managed in Brazil and not huge clubs if i recall

DesF wrote: »
    You don't consider Gremio, Palmeiras and Cruzeiro to be big clubs?

They are some of the biggest clubs in South America ffs.

He won the Copa Libertadores with Palmeiras, among other honours.

He has the International, and Club pedigree.

Big difference to the Premiership. He could do well, i'm not saying he's a sh!te manager, but really only proven internationally. As i said before, it's a risk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

kmart6 wrote: »
    He's def going to tell Ronaldo to go to Madrid now so he won't have to manage against him in the league!

Ronaldo to Chelsea possibly.Now that would be fun :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

with a bit a luck he will encourage caravlho to stay on

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

It will all end in tears ill tell ya.
    Deco to chelsea. Like dont the have enough midfielders already?

Who will move?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

Why is this not in the Chelsea Thread?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055305123

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

monkey9 wrote: »
    Big difference to the Premiership. He could do well, i'm not saying he's a sh!te manager, but really only proven internationally. As i said before, it's a risk

And once again the Premiership gets put on a pedistal.

Just because South Amerian football is far away and we get less exposure doesn't make it inferior. To win the Copa Libertadores is a pretty big achievement and those clubs mentioned are massive.

Of course he's proven at club level, he's just not proven in front of Sky Sports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

some other guys opinion
    some Big Phil's chess game stunts:

1) In 2001, got a demoralized Brazil side in tatters, even under jeopardy of not qualifiyng to World Cup - first time in history - and drove them to lift it in 2002.

2) In 2001, barred almighty Romario - for what he got his car stoned by a furious mob - denying even claims of Brazil's President, and became World Champion breaking all records.

3) In 2003, got the Portuguese squad under a xenophobic clima, then summoned an unknown brazilian Deco to top position in field, defyed almighty media, and lead Portugal to heavens never dreamt of, besides driving the whole country into euphoric delight of glory and madness of pride.

4) In two life-or-death games against Brits, slapped England's Sven twice, both in World Cup and Euro semis.

5) Twice won Libertadores Cup (South American Clubs Cup) against the argies, a facade which is top rank success and glory, even for highly demanding Brazilian standards.

6) Barred almighty national portuguese idol Figo in semis against England, and won the game for this swift move winning unanimous recognition.

7) Ah ! And his top achievement ever, that CANNOT be surpassed by any title in Europe:

Two times Brazilian national champion !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Great choice. We all should be quaking in our boots imo. With him at Chelsea and God at Inter it's going to be tough on the rest of us.

I would agree to an extent. Possibly a reverse Sven?

Would a reverse Sven not have a beard though, you know the way the 2 of the guys from ZZ top were bald with beards, and the other had hair and no beards.....or am I getting this a bit wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Hahaha classic stuff lads. He is very over rated because of his club record which i haven't a clue about!!! Seems to be the popular tag line. Brilliant stuff.

Lets look at it then.

Brazillian league champion.
    Brazil cup (fa cup counterpart) x 3
    Copa Libertadores (south american champions league) x2

Took Portugal to the final of the EC oh and lets not forget that silly little tournament they call the World Cup. He won that you know.

Just because its not on sky sports lads doesn't mean its rubbish football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭jackdaw

SCOLARI !!! YES !!!!

iregk wrote: »

Just because its not on sky sports lads doesn't mean its rubbish football.
    Jesus there was enough about him on it this morning, that I feel like I could write his biography.......man i hate that station.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

Seems to be a good appointment. :) Although the timing of the announcement is a bit puzzling/hypocritical. I guess chelsea announced it, not him though.

Interesting that people are saying he's not a good defensive minded coach. Apparently he used be a defender! :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement