Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Signed contract to nothing..

Options
  • 11-06-2008 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    Just out of curiosity really, what is the legal situation if I have signed my name up to a contract, but am yet to decide what "plan" I want in this contract, so I've signed my name to nothing and will tell the guy what plan I want once I've made my mind up. It's a 12 month contract. The plan dictates the price. I've given my bank details and everything so all I have to do is decide what plan I want and then it will be ready.

Can I legally just say I don't want to go ahead with any, or am I now legally in a contract because I signed my name to it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

cormie wrote: »
    Hi,
    Just out of curiosity really, what is the legal situation if I have signed my name up to a contract, but am yet to decide what "plan" I want in this contract, so I've signed my name to nothing and will tell the guy what plan I want once I've made my mind up. It's a 12 month contract. The plan dictates the price. I've given my bank details and everything so all I have to do is decide what plan I want and then it will be ready.

Can I legally just say I don't want to go ahead with any, or am I now legally in a contract because I signed my name to it?

Just out of curiosity really what is this about: nothing perhaps

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

If this is a question about mobiles, you have a one week cooling off period in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Tis mobiles alright, but I'm just wondering, like they have me signed up now, but for no charge because I haven't picked a plan yet, so if the signature is binding, is it binding to a no charge if I don't tell them what I want? What's the one week cooling off period you speak of? :)

Tis mobiles alright, but I'm just wondering, like they have me signed up now, but for no charge because I haven't picked a plan yet, so if the signature is binding, is it binding to a no charge if I don't tell them what I want? What's the one week cooling off period you speak of? :)

Okay, basically, they could now SAY you signed the contract with the details you have given, and decide for you.

I would like to stress that NO phone comapany I know of would do this though, and it would probably be illegal.

They will not complete the contract til you give them a tariff.

The cooling off period is a legal requirement for if you wish to change your mind, AFAIK. you can basically back out of the contract and recieve a refudn in the first week. Keep all the boxes of the product etc.

That's good to know, thanks for the info :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's not possible to sign something which says, "The details of this contract will be decided later".

It's likely that they have some sort of generic contract which uses the term "your chosen plan" and so forth. Which implies that you have to chose a plan in order for the contract to be binding. If you don't choose a plan, there's no contract.

Also, as was detailed in another thread, unless something of value changes hands (such as money or service), then there's only an agreement, not a contract.

It was actually an agreement I signed :o

It was actually an agreement I signed :o

I know exactly the type of thing you are talking about.

Sometimes in phone retail it speeds things up to credit score someone, or get a signature to increase the networks chances of delivering something.

If you sign something in advance it speeds things up for both you and the network, you shouldnt really but thats the way it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

As Sdoom said it speeds up the process for you when you return.

And as Sdoom also said, having worked for two retails nothing will happen if you haven't bought anything and don't return.

I take it from your post that you have decieded on a phone though, if you change your mind call back into the store and tell whoever you were dealing with as chances are they have put a phone aside for you and (if they are any good) will call you in a few days to get you back in to buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭philcsl

If you have already been connected to the mobile network, most likely changing from ready to go/speakeasy to bill pay then they will have to have selected a tariff as it is not possible to connect any phone to bill pay without a tariff.

If on the other hand you have just signed the paperwork so that you could phone the store to go ahead when you have selected a tariff then you will be fine. The shop will just be processing the credit check as a previous poster has said, this is putting through the application before the final stage to see if there are any additional requirements from the network (deposit or advance payment)

If you have been connected to bill pay and are unsure which tariff you are on just phone the network to confirm, Meteor ph. 1905, Vodafone ph 1907, O2 ph 1909

• Advertisement

Thanks for that :)

Yup, moving from speakeasy to business bill pay. Don't think they are doing a credit check at all, didn't give any bank statements or anything, just a utility bill and photo ID (as well as bank acc #/sort code for direct debit).

It's not a shop either, some rep came out and met me, hope I'm getting the best deal I can so :pac:

Thanks for that :)

Yup, moving from speakeasy to business bill pay. Don't think they are doing a credit check at all, didn't give any bank statements or anything, just a utility bill and photo ID (as well as bank acc #/sort code for direct debit).

It's not a shop either, some rep came out and met me, hope I'm getting the best deal I can so :pac:

Ah, it actually makes even more sense then.

Business applications are notoriously difficult on the inside and the sig will help it go off smoothly.

The business reps tend to get better deals to offer than the retail shops. Gits :)

Not getting too much of a better deal to be honest :(

Thinking of signing up for the o2 release, 99euro per month + vat, free calls and texts, I wanted a data add on of 250mb for 7.50 a month and he wouldn't include it in the 99 for me, but he said he'd give me 40 euro credit on my bill and then of course there's the free phone, but the 40 euro is the only thing offered better than a shop would. Not much when I'd be spending 1200+ vat a year. Ah well :)

Not getting too much of a better deal to be honest :(

Thinking of signing up for the o2 release, 99euro per month + vat, free calls and texts, I wanted a data add on of 250mb for 7.50 a month and he wouldn't include it in the 99 for me, but he said he'd give me 40 euro credit on my bill and then of course there's the free phone, but the 40 euro is the only thing offered better than a shop would. Not much when I'd be spending 1200+ vat a year. Ah well :)

Yup well he can't change the tariffs, it doesn't really work like that. They're set in stone by the high up people. They can give a bit off the bill and a good deal on the phones.

Yeah, don't even need a phone so I'd prefer something else, but I suppose I'll just pick one and try flog it :)

Anyone know the deal with unlocking a bill phone? I know, because I'd spent enough on my speakeasy within a certain time, all I had to do to unlock the last phone I bought was ring up and ask for the unlock code, could I do that with my new bill phone I wonder?

Depends on the model but generally they will unlock it straight away for you because you're tied into a contract. They have your money even if you dont use the phone for the intended purpose, see!

Ah cool yeah :) thanks for the help everyone!

Advertisement