Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holy Crap! We're in Der Spiegel

• 11-06-2008 9:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.spiegel.de/international/europe/0,1518,558893,00.html
    Fastidious lawns in front of tidy little family houses, Japanese station wagons lining the curb, children playing ball in Nike sneakers: Avondale Lane is a middle-class paradise in the southern Irish town of Waterford.

Fifteen years ago the houses here were smaller, the cars sparser and the children dirtier, remembers city council member David Cullinane, 31. His T-shirt reads “Waterford-Alliance” -- a group opposed to the European Union's Lisbon Treaty. Each evening he and others like him go door to door with a few friendly words and stacks of colorful pamphlets. The arguments are varied, but the message is always the same: Say no to the Lisbon Treaty.

“I’m certainly going to vote that way,” promises the stout resident of number 89, a woman in her mid-30s wearing a short tank top and black tattoos on her arm and chest. After all, she says, no one has taken the time to explain to her what the treaty is actually good for.

Cullinane is there to fill the void. It is a bad treaty, he argues, because it diminishes Ireland’s influence in Europe, jeopardizes the country’s neutrality, promotes nuclear energy and the military, lowers wages and undermines employees’ rights. “You can count on me,” the woman calls after Cullinane as he moves on to the next house.

Bloody cheek!

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Woodgate

Yeah, her tattoo's were red not black.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Cheek in what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Dirty children, makes it sound like Dickens!

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I spent my childhood in the fields :( Am I filth?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭BBM77

Ich nehme Der Spiegel würde sein ein Papier, das rechts sich lehnt!

• Advertisement

Ich weiß nicht

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

mike65 wrote: »
    Dirty children, makes it sound like Dickens!

Mike.

sure who else would you get to clean the chimneys?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

I know I may be guffawed at , but at this moment in time I feel very much like that woman, although I will be doing alot of reading into it tommorow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

I know I may be guffawed at , but at this moment in time I feel very much like that woman, although I will be doing alot of reading into it tommorow.

guffaw guffaw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Hang on a second.....the germans think Avondale is Middle class???? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

After all, she says, no one has taken the time to explain to her what the treaty is actually good for.

Ok so the leaflets, websites and bits on the tv, radio & newspapers are no good to her eh? Its everyone's duty to ensure they are informed using the information available

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

Cabaal wrote: »
    Ok so the leaflets, websites and bits on the tv, radio & newspapers are no good to her eh? Its everyone's duty to ensure they are informed using the information available

I think she's waiting for someone to come into her cocoon, sit her down and explain it word for word

Sure how else would she know what its all about :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,574 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

"
    Fifteen years ago the houses here were smaller, the cars sparser and the children dirtier, remembers city council member David Cullinane, 31"

Firstly way to go David, enforce a European stereotype there why dont ya.

Secondly, one of the main reasons why Ireland has moved on to better times is our association with the EU, the same association that Mr Cullinane's 'political party' is advocating a no vote against

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Ich weiß nicht

Mike.

Ich verstehe nicht!

KevIRL wrote: »
    "Fifteen years ago the houses here were smaller, the cars sparser and the children dirtier, remembers city council member David Cullinane, 31"

+1 on the stereotyping...

And anyway, do journalists actually ever read what they write? The houses were smaller? Have they, like, grown in 15 years?

Houses are generally smaller than 20-30 years ago, certainly the plots are.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Don't know about you lads, I grew up in the tenements in run down back streets of 1980's Dublin city, standing on the street corners in my bare feet, selling matches just so I could buy some spuds to feed my 18 brothers and sisters.

My, how things have changed !! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Das was Cullinane uber damaligen Zeiten gesagt hat ist komplett wahr. Wir hatten gar nichts sowie gar nichts zu tun. Das is alles.

Which said Cullinane times more uber at that time is completely truely. We did not have to do nothing at all as well as nothing at all. Is all this.

Indeed! :D

Mike.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Secondly, one of the main reasons why Ireland has moved on to better times is our association with the EU, the same association that Mr Cullinane's 'political party' is advocating a no vote against

Well said,
    Jesus he's only 31 he's not a character out of Angela's Ashes ffs...if he grew up in the 30's that would be saying something but he's 31!

Which said Cullinane times more uber at that time is completely truely. We did not have to do nothing at all as well as nothing at all. Is all this.

Indeed! :D

Mike.

Pretty much summarises the state of machine übersetzen. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭ec18

merlante wrote: »
    Das was Cullinane uber damaligen Zeiten gesagt hat ist komplett wahr. Wir hatten gar nichts sowie gar nichts zu tun. Das is alles.

English Please?

Bebelfish says:

ec18 wrote: »
    English Please?

Roughly:
    The stuff that Cullinane said about (life in) those days was spot on. We had nothing and had nothing to do. That is all.

Don't agree with the dirty faces bit so much though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭ec18

thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

merlante wrote: »

Don't agree with the dirty faces bit so much though...

Sure our mammies always wiped our faces by spitting on a tissue or cloth and then scrubbing your face back when I was a nipper. :eek:

deisemum wrote: »
    Sure our mammies always wiped our faces by spitting on a tissue or cloth and then scrubbing your face back when I was a nipper. :eek:

The point is, we had clean faces. :)

These days parents have a never ending supply of 'wipes' to clean faces. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,574 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Its a 'No' from Waterford anyway.

And by the looks of it a 'No' from the country :o:o:o:(:(:(

Its a 'No' from Waterford anyway.

And by the looks of it a 'No' from the country :o:o:o:(:(:(

well atleast Carlow/Kilkenny voted yes....though doesn't matter overall, lets see them get their "better deal" now :rolleyes:

Advertisement