Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Whats the averaage life of a laptop hard drive?

• 11-06-2008 10:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭

Folks,

My 4yr old laptop hard drive needs replacing according to Dell call center and i am just curious to know "Whats the averaage life of a laptop hard drive?":confused:

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 12,385 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

My dads laptop was bought over 4 years ago. As far as I know its working grand. Not used to excessivly now though. Got a new one there about a year ago.

My old laptop was about 3 years old when it packed it in, but after replacing everything possible, the cause of its death still aludes us all.

Needless to say, ive spare ram and Hard drive for it now.... i think. They might be resurecting a different laptop now.
    They grow up so fast!

Oh, and my GFs laptop is prob about 5 years old and going strong, all original parts.

Why do dell think it needs replacing??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Its a man made item,can fail at any time.
    Saying that theres a pc at home with windows 95 on it,never had one issue with the pc or any of its components.Its about 12 years old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Dell got me to run some tests on it over the phone and the tests showed 3 problems on the hard disk.

They are sending me out the XP and system restore cd's as i lost my originals.

If a restore doesn't fix it then they reckon i need a new hard disk. It's a 4yr old Dell Inspiron 6000 and it gets a huge amount of use.

Last week it was getting very slow and then when i would go online it would make a noise like a machine gun and would keep doing so and it also would usually crash.

I spent 45minutes on the Dell helpline yesterday scared to see my next phone bill :confused:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Hard drives are one of those components that last 1 week to 10 years, although the former is a rarity. Laptop hard drives are a different beast as they are subject to a different environment in the fact that they get moved about a bit. If the laptop has been moved a lot while powered on, then the changes of failure are a lot higher.

Either way if the hard disk report has thrown up errors, then its best to replace ASAP.

Advertisement