Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Late application for courses

• 11-06-2008 10:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭

So, a friend of mine has just lost his job this week and has decided to go back to college.He is interested in going to WIT as a mature student.Was just wondering if any one knows the procedure for late applications.Does he still have to go through the CAO as a mature student or can he jus pick up a form out in the main campus.I know I'm being veryy lazy by posting up here about it but I'm calling out to the main campus tomorrow with him to see if we can find out any thing about it, I just thought that maybe some one here went through a similar thing and might have a few tips for him, as he came to me for advice but I'm afraid I had none to give him.Cheers in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Just on the way out, but I think its to late to apply as a mature student (I think). CAO is out of the question for now. We discussed this a while back so when I get back later tonight ill post back with a more up to date answer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭ec18

Cao isn't actually out of the question. If you already have your LC you can apply as a late applicant till around the 20th July

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

Yeah ec18 is right, if you have a leaving cert you can apply up till that date, but you will incur a late registration cos, not a vast amount, just administrative fees

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

cheers for the help guys.Went out with him today and the woman at reception was very friendly and helpful as well.She gave him the usual booklets and info about how to get in contact with the cao so now it's all up to himself to apply and stuff.Once more thanks for the replys and the info I appreciate it and I know for a fact he really does too.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

ec18 wrote: »
    Cao isn't actually out of the question. If you already have your LC you can apply as a late applicant till around the 20th July

I thought you had to have your CAO filled out before that date, and can make ammendments up until 20th of July? If you dont, you cant apply that late using the CAO? Or is it a different system for mature students?

• Advertisement

that only applies people sitting there LC for the first time and you have till first of June to change you mind.

ec18 wrote: »
    that only applies people sitting there LC for the first time and you have till first of June to change you mind.

Ah okay.

Apparently, from looking back over an older topic on it, the deadline to apply as mature student was Feb 1st via the college and CAO seems out of the question?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055239513

Sully wrote: »
    Apparently, from looking back over an older topic on it, the deadline to apply as mature student was Feb 1st via the college and CAO seems out of the question?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055239513
    D. Late Applications (Exception to Timetable)
    Exceptional Closing Date : 17:15 22nd July.

Subject to the exclusions below, and subject to the usual conditions for Change of Mind, if you are currently an undergraduate student in any year in any one of the HEIs ( and entered that HEI through the CAO system), you may submit a Change of Mind, in paper form only, to arrive in CAO not later than 17:15 on 22nd July.

The Change of Mind Form must be stamped by the Admissions Office of the HEI where you are a student.

(If you did NOT enter your current course through the CAO system, you must first contact the Admissions Office of the HEI to which you wish to apply. That Admissions Office will inform you whether you may submit a Change of Mind.)

Exclusions:

1. Such a Change of Mind may be made only for entry to a course (or courses) other than your existing course. If you wish to repeat the year in the same course, you must arrange this within your HEI and it is not a matter for application through CAO.
    2. University College, Cork will accept such a Change of Mind only from a person who is currently a first-year student in University College Cork.
    3. University College, Dublin will accept such a Change of Mind only from a person who is currently a first-year student in University College Dublin.
    4. NUI Galway will accept such a Change of Mind only from a person who is currently a first-year student in NUI Galway.
    5. Dublin City University, Trinity College Dublin and the University of Limerick, have special procedures in place in the case of current or previous students who wish to apply for entry to another course in the same HEI. Such applicants must contact their Admissions Office to determine the application procedure.
    6. However, if you are a student in another HEI and you wish to apply to any of the three HEIs in (e) above, you should submit your paper Change of Mind through CAO.

Source CAO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

Mature student deadline for WIT was February 1st through the CAO. Some colleges you have to apply to direct and have a later closing date (eg. UL was April), but most colleges go through the CAO.

It's too late to apply for this September as a mature student, but if you have the leaving you can submit a late application to the CAO. You will be judged solely on your LC results and compete with the school leavers from this year on points.

I've applied for this year as a mature student. My first preference is UCC, with WIT second. WIT sent me an application form which I had to return to them in April with details of my education, work experience, etc. and why I wanted to do the course.

• Advertisement
Advertisement