Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Consumer question from Junior Cert 2008

Options
  • 11-06-2008 10:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭

the bare essentials of the question are:
    Margaret buys a microwave from a shop and it does not work.

the question that follows says, and i quote [my emphasis]:

State 2 relevant principles of consumer law which have been broken in this case.

Since when does each seller have to test each product before it leaves the shop?

I would have thought that the question should have asked about the rights of the consumer.

IMO no law has been broken.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

ircoha wrote: »
    the bare essentials of the question are:
    Margaret buys a microwave from a shop and it does not work.

the question that follows says, and i quote [my emphasis]:

State 2 relevant principles of consumer law which have been broken in this case.

Since when does each seller have to test each product before it leaves the shop?

I would have thought that the question should have asked about the rights of the consumer.

IMO no law has been broken.
    by saying "state two relevant principles of consumer law..." they are not claiming that laws have been broken but looking for the legal principles of consumer law that might be relevant this case and in this case those would include that a product must be fit for its purpose and also must be reasonably durable which Margaret's microwave was not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

foggy_lad wrote: »
    by saying "state two relevant principles of consumer law..." they are not claiming that laws have been broken but looking for the legal principles of consumer law that might be relevant this case and in this case those would include that a product must be fit for its purpose and also must be reasonably durable which Margaret's microwave was not.

Disagree This is junior cert business studies not Uni level philosophy
    If its not broken dont fix it so to speak.:D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

foggy_lad wrote: »
    ircoha wrote: »
    Disagree This is junior cert business studies not Uni level philosophy
    If its not broken dont fix it so to speak.:D

Foggy's correct. They are looking for the sales and supply of services laws here, merchantable quality, as described, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭vms7ply9t6dw4b

Whats the complete text of the question? Does it mention anything about actions taken in by the shop you arent being very clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

I told Margaret not to buy anything in Dixons ffs.:mad:

• Advertisement
Advertisement