Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Filthy Bundoran -Ballyshannon Bypass

Options
  • 11-06-2008 11:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭

As I was driving from Sligo to Ballyshannon today, I noticed that a group of men(possibly from the council..I'm not sure) were cutting the grass verges on both sides of the Bundoran to Ballyshannon bypass.
    Nothing unusual there you might think only this newly shortened grass was revealing the most shocking amount of litter I have ever seen on a road side. I would estimate that there were about 10-20 plastic bottles along with numerous other assorted papers, tin foil etc etc.dumped there..... EVERY METRE!

What a grand impression this must give a first-time visitor to Bundoran. I would hate to think what that might be.

It must have taken a sizable amount of people to have deposited this unsightly crap there and the impression your average foreign visitor would have of us after seeing this may well be" What a dirty bunch of louts these people must be" or words similar to that.

Bundoran above all places should be ever vigilant when it comes to this problem. Tourism, after all is their premier industry there and it surely is in their interests to do their utmost to promote it and its surrounds in a better way.
    The Urban District Council should be more active in their efforts to do something about this disgraceful problem.

Implement and impose heavy fines for anyone caught dumping stuff out of their cars. More anti-litter signs maybe....Something......ANYTHING!

God knows we hear enough of their waffling on local radio about the most trivial of topics... It's about time they got their collective finger out once and for all and sort this out before the town becomes a total laughing stock.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Don't be thinking it's just Bundoran and Ballyshannon. Go anywhere in Ireland and you'll see the same thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Jabby

smashey wrote: »
    Don't be thinking it's just Bundoran and Ballyshannon. Go anywhere in Ireland and you'll see the same thing.

Of course you would find it in most places in Ireland. But this is supposed to be one of our most important tourist towns and it is vital that it pulls out all of the stops to keep the bloody place clean don't you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Jabby wrote: »
    Of course you would find it in most places in Ireland. But this is supposed to be one of our most important tourist towns and it is vital that it pulls out all of the stops to keep the bloody place clean don't you think?
    You can pull out all the stops you like but until such times as the population is better educated in litter control, you'd be wasting your time.

I'm surprised there wasn't at least 2 fridges in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭donegalman1

maybe they were trimming the grass to collect all them 21c bags!!! There'd be a few quid there

Its unlikely many litter louts will change, but I'd love to know how much of the bag tax is being used to seriously combat litter. I wouldn't use it to clean up cos then that would be the irish way of us all paying for other people

Advertisement