Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems getting a deposit back.

Options
  • 12-06-2008 12:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

Hope someone can help with this.

My girlfriend recently booked some accommodation for her Hen night. She booked a house to stay in for 1 night and gave a deposit of €100 to hold it. She has had to cancel it since and has asked for her deposit back and was told she can't have it. The cancellation was made at least 6 weeks before the date it was booked for. I know with hotels you usually only need to give 24 - 48 hrs notice of cancellation but I'm not sure about guest houses.

Any help or a link to a website with info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

There's no hard and fast rule on deposit, save for what you agree to up front. Generally speaking though, you are not entitled to a refund if you are the one to break the booking, regardless of notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Should be listed in the terms and conditions of her booking whether the deposit is refundable or not. If they won't give it back and she has nothing to refer to that says it is refundable, it's tough luck. After all, what is the point of a deposit?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

As someone who used to work in the hotel, we were obliged during every single booking to mention the cancellation policy at least twice. She should have been informed of any cancellation policy either verbally or in writing.

Advertisement