Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Overtaking

Options
  • 12-06-2008 6:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭

Every now and then I come across someone who is doing under the speed limit on the road ahead of me, and so when I get good visibility and its safe to do so, I will overtake, only then to get horns or lights flashed at me from either people driving towards me (despite having roughly 100m distance between me and them by the time I have pulled back in), or by the person I have just passed. I have to be honest and say it really gets on my nerves.

Do others get this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Can't say that I have.
    I'm not questioned your driving but if it regularly happens to you do you think it's something you are doing?

100 metres is nothing and it can be covered in seconds. Are you cutting it closer than most people?

As for the person you passed, again do you cut it close and almost clip them?
    Of course you'll always get people who get offended at being overtaken and speed up as you do it :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

Andrewf20 wrote: »
    Every now and then I come across someone who is doing under the speed limit on the road ahead of me, and so when I get good visibility and its safe to do so, I will overtake, only then to get horns or lights flashed at me from either people driving towards me (despite having roughly 100m distance between me and them by the time I have pulled back in), or by the person I have just passed. I have to be honest and say it really gets on my nerves.

Do others get this?

Yeah it drives me crazy. Some people just dont like being overtaken. They feel that they are doing a perfectly safe speed so that anyone overtaking them is a stark raving lunatic and should be flashed and have the horn blown at them to show them the error of their ways

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

micmclo wrote: »
    Can't say that I have.
    I'm not questioned your driving but if it regularly happens to you do you think it's something you are doing?

100 metres is nothing and it can be covered in seconds. Are you cutting it closer than most people?

As for the person you passed, again do you cut it close and almost clip them?
    Of course you'll always get people who get offended at being overtaken and speed up as you do it :eek:

I agree, i never have come across this, perhaps it's down to the OP cutting it too fine?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

I wont't say that it happens ALOT but yes it definately happens.
    I'd agree with TheBazman and say that some people just don't like being overtaken.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Scottie99

Horns and lights....................well there not doing it to say hello! Maybe you should consider others on the road and not just yourself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

I get this from time to time as well, after performing a perfectly safe overtaking maneouver. It pisses me off as well for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

I have experienced it myself, even on my bike. I don't know the OP, so he might be doing something wrong, I cannot comment. I know in my own case I was overtaking safely. I think part of the problem is some people do not like to be overtaking, or indeed to see other people overtaking and some people have faulty risk assesment processes.

MrP

• Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Happens to me the odd time too. I dont mind the on comming traffic giving me a bit of stick if it does take me a little longer then expected to pass a car(s).
    But people that I pass and then get flashed by!! Do they not know the rules of the road? If your intention is to not pass the car infront of you, you are supposed to leave sufficient space between you and the car infront:mad:. Countless times ive passed out cars only to find they are tailgating another car, ive nowhere to pull in, and either have to force my way (if oncomming traffic makes me) or continue passing out longer then I want!

If I do find my way inbetween I get a flash, WTF, maybe if you wernt kissing that guys bumper id not have to squeeze in!:mad:

And then there are just the idiots who flash for no justifiable reason other then they really really dont like being passed out! Plenty of space, didnt cut accross them... :confused:

Cant wait for that motorway:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

Countless times ive passed out cars only to find they are tailgating another car, ive nowhere to pull in, and either have to force my way (if oncomming traffic makes me) or continue passing out longer then I want!

Good god man, this is an admission of horribly dangerous driving on your part. You must not start overtaking on the assumption that there'll be room to pull in if oncoming traffic appears!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,106 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

what gets my goat is people who overtake a car travelling at say 95kmph and proceed to overtake at 100kmph

taking bloody ages and turning a safe maneouver into a dangerous one

get in and out people!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

Overtaking is such a funny thing, safe to some unsafe to others, i know the situation where you are waiting a chance to overtake a slow moving car and you've got a person forcing you into the hard shoulder because they think they know better!

But i must say overtake drop it down a gear and go for it quick! With my licence so important for work, i need to only overtake in the correct areas (broken white lines) as not to give an gardai any excuse this is frustrating sometimes to me and other drivers.

I dont give a flip if you want to overtake go ahead, i wont flash at you. What more annoy's me is when your doing for example 100km in a 100zone you pull in to let a guy flying up behind you and they don't say thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

100m is not really enough space to have between you and an approaching car on the opposite side. Lets say both you and the oncoming car are doing 100 km/h that leaves less than 2 seconds margin to avoid a head on collision. And nobody ever exceeds the speed limit when overtaking right, so it could be nearer 1 second.

I'm not surprised the OP is getting flashed for overtaking in this manner, you might want to rethink your driving style.

As for the the other poster who admits to 'forcing' his way back into a line of traffic, the mind boggles. Do you really think you are invincible? There are far too many fatal accidents already, chill out and get to your destination a few minutes later in one piece.

Rant over.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Happens to me the odd time too. I dont mind the on comming traffic giving me a bit of stick if it does take me a little longer then expected to pass a car(s).
    But people that I pass and then get flashed by!! Do they not know the rules of the road? If your intention is to not pass the car infront of you, you are supposed to leave sufficient space between you and the car infront:mad:. Countless times ive passed out cars only to find they are tailgating another car, ive nowhere to pull in, and either have to force my way (if oncomming traffic makes me) or continue passing out longer then I want!

If I do find my way inbetween I get a flash, WTF, maybe if you wernt kissing that guys bumper id not have to squeeze in!:mad:

And then there are just the idiots who flash for no justifiable reason other then they really really dont like being passed out! Plenty of space, didnt cut accross them... :confused:

Cant wait for that motorway:)

Sweet jesus man, do you not know the rules of the road? You only overtake when you have room and time to overtake safely including time to safely move back into your own side, i.e. not have to force your way in between two cars. You say you don't mind getting a bit of stick from oncoming traffic :eek:. Have you considered that in the situation you described, the cars in front of you were maybe waiting for a safe opportunity to overtake the slowest car in front, except they were waiting for a safe opportunity, i.e. when there are no cars coming the other way? It's reckless in the extreme to attempt to overtake a line of cars, regardless of the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

cabrwab wrote: »
    With my licence so important for work, i need to only overtake in the correct areas (broken white lines) as not to give an gardai any excuse this is frustrating sometimes to me and other drivers.

As well as dodging the old points on your license, it might be a good idea to avoid overtaking on solid white lines because you'll get yourself and several other people killed in an unrecognizable, crushed heap of twisted, smoking metal that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

alias no.9 wrote: »
    It's reckless in the extreme to attempt to overtake a line of cars, regardless of the road.

Is it? I honestly didn't know this. I have done it in the past with excellent visibility and a perfectly clear road ahead of me. There was five cars driving quiet slowly. They each had left quiet a small distance between them.
    alias no.9 wrote: »
    the cars in front of you were maybe waiting for a safe opportunity to overtake the slowest car in front

They still need to check their mirrors and signal before doing so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Joe Malone

Zube wrote: »
    Good god man, this is an admission of horribly dangerous driving on your part. You must not start overtaking on the assumption that there'll be room to pull in if oncoming traffic appears!

I think that the one guilty of dangerous driving in the above scenario is the tailgating car, not the overtaking car. Most reasonable drivers drive with the "2 second rule" and leave enough space for cars to overtake etc. Some idiots don't.
    I have come across this idiotic driving countless times. Someone unwilling to overtake a slow moving truck/bus/tractor etc but right up their hole making it difficult for a competent driver to overtake each vehicle one at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Countless times ive passed out cars only to find they are tailgating another car, ive nowhere to pull in, and either have to force my way (if oncomming traffic makes me) or continue passing out longer then I want!

OMG I can't believe what I just read :eek: Why are you overtaking when you can see clearly ahead. Its foolish actions like your that cause accidents and kill innocent people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Joe Malone wrote: »
    I think that the one guilty of dangerous driving in the above scenario is the tailgating car, not the overtaking car.

No, if you can't see whats ahead you DON'T OVERTAKE.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

100m is too close for safety but I know what you mean. There are a lot of nervous drivers out there that would flash at you for much less. Some people just freeze up at the wheel given even the slightest degree of the unexpected. They are quick to judge your manoeuvres (sp) based on their own driving limitations.

But it would be wise to review your driving behaviour if it is a common occurrence. It might just save your life. Take it handy, think twice before overtaking and make sure you are not putting yourself & vehicle under pressure. If you have to say giddy up to the old girl, it is time to change your ways. And I'll take this onboard myself, as someone who has a heavy right foot as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

What i meant Zube is that the road marking in this country can be funny sometime, solid white line straight stretch of road clear visiblity nothing coming but you over take a gaurd see's you points!

My orginal point was that sometimes iam driving close (not bumper touching close) waiting to overtake safely as soon as possible, then somebody thinks they know better overtake, s**t them selves and pull in slamming on breaks etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Happens sometimes to me but its rare. I usually overtake safely and with plenty of room. I do not usually get flashed by the person i overtake, it happens though... And the incoming cars i get flashed the odd time. Its funny as they may be flashing me even though they are so far ahead that 2 more cars would be able to overtake the slow driver safely.

Then again it may not even be the overtaking... maybe its because i always drive with dipped headlights (safer) and there are still people out there who believe headlights are for when its dark and should not be on no matter the conditions until they can not see in front of them.

Just to clarify, ive never come anyway close to on comming traffic, if they flash, its no skin off my nose. There gone once they pass by me and ive never been in a situation where they need to use the hard shoulder to avoid me, never even close to this situation!
    Why are you overtaking when you can see clearly ahead.
    Because I can clearly see ahead, obviously.
    I never overtake without being cautious!
    I always look!

@ alias no.9: I do wait for cars to pass out the slower car infront, but after 2 or 3 empty straight roads when no cars attempt to pass out I feel they've had enough opportunity.

And maybe ive phrased it a bit wrong when I say "countless" times I pass and i find a tailgating car. Got a bit carried away with the typing. Countless times ive passed cars and they leave only the smallest of room for me to fit, enough room but still, 99% of the time theres nothing coming so I indicate to pull in in plenty of time and slowly make my way in, then get flashed! I dont get it, its not like im weaving wildly in and out of traffic, they easilly see me and if they were anyway decent they would make a bit of room, or at least accept that I passed them instead of sheepishly flashing at me.

Edit: @ DonJose: So you dont mind having someone driving a few meters behind you?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I think the most dangerous overtakers (might be exaggeration) are the slow ones.. The other day i was on my way up the M4 on the way home when a car about a km ahead pulls out and overtakes a truck.. no problem except he barely went any faster so i ended up closing the gap pretty quickly... and then while im still about 100m away and he has finally overtaken the truck he does not pull back but stays in the overtaking lane where i have now pulled into so i can overtake the truck and as soon as he sees someone behind him who is gaining on him (im still about 50m behind at this stage) i see him look in his mirror and jam on his brakes!! What an ass!!! I was far enough behind him that it was no big deal but i still had to hit my own brakes just in case as you never know how hard these brake tappers are going to slow down. So i flashed him and he then moved and i overtook him looking at him with clear body language of WTF???

Black night Im the same though, i sometimes have to overtake more than one car as no one is prepared to overtake when its perfectly safe, and since they are packed so close together i can not do it one car at a time so i might do 2 or 3 cars and not see a car in the other direction because its long, straight and perfectly safe to do so. I wish i did not have to and the other cars would either overtake, or keep a distance so other cars can overtake them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Rather than comment on all the high horse nonsense and question the OP's judgement I think I'll answer his question.

I get it sometimes too, some people are irate to be overtaken by anyone. I do find that a lot people bumper hug and don't leave room for another car, and sometimes you have to bully them to move in between them, unfortunate, but they are in the wrong for not following ROTR. (Don't force your way if it's not safe, obviously)

Nothing less than they deserve IMHO, pigs.

Some drivers are so incompetent they cannot judge what safe overtaking is, but they shouldn't get so close to a car they have no intention of overtaking. They force any other car overtaking to stay over the white line for longer than would otherwise be necessary, these are the dangerous drivers I encounter, not the overtakers.

Saruman wrote: »
    Black night Im the same though, i sometimes have to overtake more than one car as no one is prepared to overtake when its perfectly safe, and since they are packed so close together i can not do it one car at a time so i might do 2 or 3 cars and not see a car in the other direction because its long, straight and perfectly safe to do so. I wish i did not have to and the other cars would either overtake, or keep a distance so other cars can overtake them.

Exactly!

DonJose wrote: »
    OMG I can't believe what I just read :eek: Why are you overtaking when you can see clearly ahead. Its foolish actions like your that cause accidents and kill innocent people.

Depends entirely on the skill and judgment of the driver, not arbitrary generalisations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

I've even had one (lady driver) who squeezed up the the car in front so that I couldn't get in.

Otherwise with regard to overtaking, if in doubt - don't.

Ferris wrote: »
    I've even had one (lady driver) who squeezed up the the car in front so that I couldn't get in.

Otherwise with regard to overtaking, if in doubt - don't.

Exactly, different people have different skill levels in driving. Some know they can make it, some think they can, there's an essential difference. Your car, engine and your own skills are the key variables, not an arbitrary set of circumstances governing all situations.

And to all the space hoggers, stay back from the car in front by at least 2 car-lengths for God's sake! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭colsers22

Saruman wrote: »
    I think the most dangerous overtakers (might be exaggeration) are the slow ones.. The other day i was on my way up the M4 on the way home when a car about a km ahead pulls out and overtakes a truck.. no problem except he barely went any faster so i ended up closing the gap pretty quickly... and then while im still about 100m away and he has finally overtaken the truck he does not pull back but stays in the overtaking lane where i have now pulled into so i can overtake the truck and as soon as he sees someone behind him who is gaining on him (im still about 50m behind at this stage) i see him look in his mirror and jam on his brakes!! What an ass!!! I was far enough behind him that it was no big deal but i still had to hit my own brakes just in case as you never know how hard these brake tappers are going to slow down. So i flashed him and he then moved and i overtook him looking at him with clear body language of WTF???

Ah I see this on the M4 all the time.. Most people in Ireland don't actually know how to use motorways.. Even if you're speeding (as most people are on the M4) you should not be cruising in the overtaking lane. It's so dangerous! I've started using the old N4, saving myself 2.70 and probably saving my life.

• Advertisement

colsers22 wrote: »
    I've started using the old N4, saving myself 2.70 and probably saving my life.

At least you'll keep your sanity as well. It can be really frustrating all those morons hogging the overtaking lane.

Advertisement