Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Overtaking

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭WHITE_P

Zube wrote: »
    You have back-pedalled away from your "shirty oncoming drivers won't use the hard shoulder" comment when people pointed out how bonkers it was, but I meet people driving that way every week.

No I haven't back pedalled as you put, as I've already said, I've moved onto the hardshoulder on many occasions to give someone who made a mistake the opportunity to complete their manoeuvre safely, without ever feeling the need to flash them (if i'm not mistaken, the flashing of lights in the manner described is seen as aggressive driving in the ROTR, see Road Rage and Aggressive driving, page 138), but then I'm always watching for potential hazzards to me, not only directly in front of me but to either side of the road also (scanning as its called in the Roadcraft book).

Better to move over and live to see another day that be an arrogant pratt and get killed because you think you are right.

As I said earlier, an instructor on a defensive driving course I did a few years back was also of the opinion that its better to move over, than assume right of way and crash. His point was made in reference to meeting oncoming traffic that had started the manoeuvre prior to you coming into sight, and this is where I'm coming from, not some muppet who overtakes in the face of oncoming traffic, with a born to die attitude, and from the OP I don't get the impression that Andrewf20 is driving in this manner either, but then he is the only one who can answer that.

So nothing bonkers in my suggestion, just self preservation working as it should.

What part of the bog are you meeting all these type of drivers, just so I'll know to avoid that part of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭Conar

Driving, like Whipe_P is describing, is innevitable.
    Even when walking around all day you'll eventually make a mistake and trip over a stone or something.
    Its not due to you being reckless or anyting just a slight error in judgement.

Too many people on the road drive passive aggressively and I think that is the point he is repeatedly trying to make.
    Yes sometimes someone is still over your side of the road for a little longer than they should be but where is the point is freaking them out with flashing lights and/or your horn blaring.
    Be the bigger (and safer) person and just move left slightly to make everyones day a little safer and stop being so judgemental. If you are coming towards a stretch of road where oncoming traffic is commonly overtaking as its the first safe stretch to do so in miles, then be prepared for it and be ready to move in if neccessary. Its just the sensible way to drive IMO.

Surmen over :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Having read through most of this thread, either one of two things is going on,

1. OP is actaully forcing his way through traffic. Apart from this been poor road mannors, it is also dangerous and he/she will come to and bad ending.

2. Saying they were "Forcing" their way was a poor choice of wording and probably meant to say something along the lines of "cause other road users to increase breaking distance."

As for pulling into the hard shoulder, please explain how, from the position of over takening can you see what is ahead of the car you are overtakening? Other drivers may be in a better position to see upcomming dangers then you can.

Brest example I'v seen, Old N4 at BlueBerry resturant heading west, van goes to over take several cars, long strech of road, broken lines, ended up having to stop on the wrong side of the road because a car wanted to turn right. thankfully most other drivers seen what the van was trying to do and the car turning so no one hurt, but could have ebnn very bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

WHITE_P wrote: »
    And that's not taking the moral high ground and being aggressive.

As I said earlier no one is infalible when it comes to driving, but there really is little point in exacerbating an already bad situation by being a pratt.

Just for the record I've never put anyone in the situation where they have had to pull onto the hardshoulder while I overtook another car on my side of the road, in fact the few times in 22 years of driving that I have been flashed, I have been comfortably back on my own side of the road and relaxed enough to respond with nice big wave.

Funny you mention Carlow, because I had to come to a dead stop in the road one time near Carlow as a woman driver coming the other way overtook a line of traffic, I don't think she even saw me as she passed the front of my car with inches to spare, there was no hardshoulder on that occassion that I could have moved into either.

What you should have done in that situation is flash your lights and beep your horn. Also waving your fist in a menacing fashion would have helped no end.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,152 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Twice in the last 10 days I've had to slam on my brakes coming around corners to find people my side of the road overtaking, and of course i flashed them! I should not have to alter my speed at all to facilatate people passing out.

Did you ever think maybe your only 100m away from them because there already after slowing down? I dont know about you but i dont particularly like seeing a ton of metal comming head on towards me, especially if they are less than 2 seconds away from crashing into me!!

People driving bumper to bumper is wrong , but being on the wrong side of the road relying on somebody to let you in because there is on comming traffic is much worse!! If they are bumper to bumper your just going to have to wait it out untill there is sufficient time and room to pass both out,

• Advertisement
Advertisement