Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BSD/Linux question

• 12-06-2008 7:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭

Is BSD a Linux distro or is it a completely different operating system in its own right? If it is a seperate operating system, how does it differ from Linux?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Wiki

Unix timeline map

This might answer some of your questions. More info on the differences between the typer of BSD here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

BSD is a complete operating system, because it contains all the standard userland and components such as the kernel knitted tightly in a standard base system.
    Linux is not an os, it's a kernel packaged with base tools like the gcc compiler, make ect to form the base system . All other components like KDE, GNOME, ect are userland utilities which don't come in the base install in both systems.

I used FreeBSD, but tbh, I moved over to Slackware Linux and haven't looked back since. FreeBSD makes a good server os, but the hardware support is not as good as Linux, and there appears to be a bit more momentum behind the GNU /Linux movement.
    If you want vendor support and proprietary plugins like Flash ect, BSD will most likely fail you on the desktop side.
    As a server, it has nice features like Jails and more streamlined kernel compiles, but the makefiles for major apps in the ports system are broken.

Remember that BSD people cater to fill a specific niche. Normally web serving.
    "They" are not really interested in trying to overtake the evil overlords such as Microsoft for example. :P
    Linux is making strides to cater for both the real techies and the average user in mind. BSD generally does not focus on widening it's user base to the same degree. Linux is documented a bit more aswell:)

Linux += 1 from me, it suits my needs as both a desktop and server solution.

Advertisement