Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with abs class...

Options
  • 12-06-2008 8:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36

Hi guys,

I did an abs class the other day & I really felt the benefit. Although my neck is killing me ever since. This seems to happen every time I do this class & it drives me crazy! Is there anything I can do to avoid this happening or do I just have to put up with it? I heard before about pretending you're holding an orange under your chin & I try to do that but it still happens...

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

If it's a class, get the instructor to look at your form during the exercises. It sounds like you're putting too much pressure on your neck and straining it. One of the best techniques I've found is to find a spot on the ceiling and keep looking at it, you really need to try to keep your neck and shoulders square like they are when lying flat on the ground...

As per usual, if the problem persists seek professional advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 karry1412

Thanks a million! I'll try your tips & I'll say it to the instuctor before the next class :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

this mind sound daft but its worked for me and others I have recommended it to in the past.

When doing your crunches etc. keep your tongue on the roof of your mouth and focus on one point directly above your forehead on the ceiling through out the movement.

This helps to neutralize and take the pressure of your neck during the movement.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

Also, you don't NEED to do a full crunch to get the same effect, keep your eyes mid-thigh to knee level max, curl head towards knees clowly as you raise up, then shoulders. Don't hold the neck stiff, and on the way back down let the shoulders hit the floor first, then slowly curl your head back to the floor, rinse and repeat :)

Advertisement