Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Really slow wireless speeds...

Options
  • 12-06-2008 8:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭

I have NTL 12mb broadband currently being picked up by a Belkin wireless card. The connection is continuously dropping and I often have terrible speeds (it's apparently running at 1mb at the moment according to the icon in the system tray). I'm being told the signal strength is "excellent" too. My PC however is in a corner upstairs at the back of the house while the wireless router is downstairs at the front of the house, would just the distance/walls between the PC and router be causing this? Or is the card faulty? We have another PC that seems to be running fine so I don't think it's the actual broadband not working properly. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Get a loan of a wireless laptop, and move around ...

see if signal picks up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

barnesd wrote: »
    We have another PC that seems to be running fine so I don't think it's the actual broadband not working properly. Thanks.

Where is this PC located and does it have a wired or wireless connection to the router? The distance you're talking about, downstairs front to upstairs back, is probably enough to significantly degrade the signal from any standard wireless router.

I've never trusted the signal strength rating reported in Windows. I had a similar issue until I moved my router upstairs. Excellent signal strength, 54M connection, but only getting 1-3Mbps (and very variable) on my 7M broadband.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭barnesd

jor el wrote: »
    Where is this PC located and does it have a wired or wireless connection to the router? The distance you're talking about, downstairs front to upstairs back, is probably enough to significantly degrade the signal from any standard wireless router.

I've never trusted the signal strength rating reported in Windows. I had a similar issue until I moved my router upstairs. Excellent signal strength, 54M connection, but only getting 1-3Mbps (and very variable) on my 7M broadband.

The other PC is actually very close to mine in terms of distance, they're basically on the 2 sides of a wall. Mine is tucked away though, while the other one is in an open room and faces the stairs. I'd imagine it's harder for a signal to reach mine. I've been planning on reshuffling the room so I reckon I'll do that to put the PC in a more open spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Any chance you could run an Ethernet cable from the router to your PC? Tuck it along the skirting board or something? That's the ideal way to connect as you'll have no issues. Otherwise, try and get the PC as close to the router as possible. If the router downstairs is on a phone table, or on the ground, see if you can hang it higher up, near the ceiling, if possible.

Advertisement