Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hardest food to cook is....

• 12-06-2008 9:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭

sausages.

Pighead loves his sausages but why the hell are they so damn hard to cook? Pigheads a man who values his health so its strictly grill cooking all the way. You have to watch over them constantantly as if you leave them for even a minute the fcukers get burnt.

Then you have to turn them inch by inch every couple of minutes but they always roll back to their original position just to annoy you. They spit out fat and grease which always hits you on the face (and elbowsif your wearing a short sleeved shirt).

The skin breaks and they get all curly making them even harder cook. Why are they so damn hard to cook?

Whats your hardest food to cook?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Pavlova. I've tried to make it on a number of occasions but it's beyond my culinary skills. I just can't do it.

Pighead, get big thick sausages, cut them in half and cook them in a George Foreman. That way all sides get cooked and you don't have to watch them and turn them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Curvy Vixen

Or you could do them the way most food outlets/restaurants/truck stops do them and boil them first to actually cook them, then deep fry them for a few minutes to brown them! Simple!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Eggs

I cant boil them, poach them or fry them. the bas.tards and i love them :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Turn down the grill and lower the shelf height if you can.

Hardest food for me is roast beef. I always judge the time wrong. Always. Either comes out nearly sodding raw or way overcooked. I just can't get it right. GAH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

watna wrote: »
    Pavlova. I've tried to make it on a number of occasions but it's beyond my culinary skills. I just can't do it.

Pighead, get big thick sausages, cut them in half and cook them in a George Foreman. That way all sides get cooked and you don't have to watch them and turn them.
    Excellent, must try that watna. Sounds too good to be true though! Whats the story with people pricking sausages with a fork before cooking them? Does that improve the sausage cooking experience or are they doing it just for show?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,870 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Rice.

The boil in the bag stuff I can do no bother but the regular shit just always turns to mush for sime reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Looby_Loo

Pighead wrote: »
    Excellent, must try that watna. Sounds too good to be true though! Whats the story with people pricking sausages with a fork before cooking them? Does that improve the sausage cooking experience or are they doing it just for show?

Breaking the skin helps reduce the curling up when they are cooking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

As far as I know it's to stop them bursting.

EDIT: Ooh, Looby Loo, quick off the mark!

This thread is probably the greatest idea Pighead has ever had. In the real world whenever Pighead has posed this question he has been ridiculed laughed at, spat at and ignored. And thats just from Mam.

On the internet people are far more giving and non judgemental. As soon as work is finished Pighead is going to go to the shop and buy some sausages. Go home and prick them with a fork (Thanks Looby_Loo), turn down the grill and lower the shelf height (Thanks MAJD) and then sit back eat and enjoy (Thanks PIghead). Then ion Saturday there shall be a George Foremans grill purchased and more sausages shall be cooked and enjoyed. (Thanks watna)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

square sausages ftw!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

According to Nigel Slater pricking sausages lets the tasty juices out so isn't a good thing.
    I roast sausages in the oven - 200C for 30-40 minutes,turning only once - they cook evenly all around and don't set off the smoke alarm like grilling does. :) You can splash them with Worcestershire sauce for extra stickiness and yumminess too.

Yes Pighead, this thread is bordering on genius ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

whiskeyman wrote: »
    square sausages ftw!

Apparently there actually is such a thing - in Scotland. I have a friend there who's promised to bring some over when she visits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Ohh Pavlova, Impossible

I cant boil potatoes, I can roast them, steam them microwave them but they either turn to mush or are still hard in the middle if I boil them in water...:o

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I find if you turn the sausages a couple of times shortly after they're put on they don't curl up and are easier to manage. Don't prick them, this allow all the lovely juices and fat to escape.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Thumpette

Pighead is funny! In appreciation of his funniness i grant him a lifetime of happy sausaging!

May all your sausages be perfect pighead :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭IronMan

You should never have to prick sausages. If you have to prick them to stop them bursting, then they have too much water, and are quite probably made of pigs eye, scrotum, and bell end and should be avoided at all cost. Anything less than 97% pork meat is not a sausage its an abomination.

You don't know what you're talking about IronMan. The scrotums the best part of a sausage. Everyone knows that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭IronMan

I'd have to disagree Pighead old sage. I purchased a hotdog at the corner of Stephens green only last Saturday night. It contained scrotum, diseased trotter meat, and elbow grease, and I could not finish it. And after consuming 10 pints of stout, the taste buds can be assaulted by the most primitive of tastes and still not suffer ill-effect.

what brand sausage do you buy Pighead?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Forget all this healthy eating nonsense when it comes to sausages .. there's only one way to cook sausages properly and that's to fry them long and slow, anything up to 30 mins. That way they don't burst, they remain nice and moist and flavoursome and they develop that gorgeous sweet caramelized exterior. You need proper sausages though with a high meat content, not those nasty fluorescent bright pink monstrosities that are more cereal than meat.

• Advertisement

IronMan wrote: »
    I'd have to disagree Pighead old sage. I purchased a hotdog at the corner of Stephens green only last Saturday night. It contained scrotum, diseased trotter meat, and elbow grease, and I could not finish it. And after consuming 10 pints of stout, the taste buds can be assaulted by the most primitive of tastes and still not suffer ill-effect.
    Hmmmm strange, maybe the scrotum had gone off.

Quality you asked to see Pigheads sausage:
    spi101.gif

Hmmmm strange, maybe the scrotum had gone off.

Quality you asked to see Pigheads sausage:
    spi101.gif

Ahh Pighead, I am disappointed in you...

You need to get down to a butchers.. I know of a great one in Ardee "Callaghans" not only does he do an award winning banger but the nicest white pudding in the whole world!! (Just make sure you have a packet of Rennie at the ready"

Whats wrong with Galtee Traditional Gold Pork Bangers? They're great. They've even got citric acid in them.

And as for the Ardee suggestion, thanks but no thanks! That place is the scariest town in the world. The kids are all wearing Guns & Roses T-Shirts and they all look like they may be related. May send Mammy Pighead in to check these award winning bangers out though. She ain't scared of the inbred.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

IronMan wrote: »
    You should never have to prick sausages. If you have to prick them to stop them bursting, then they have too much water, and are quite probably made of pigs eye, scrotum, and bell end and should be avoided at all cost. Anything less than 97% pork meat is not a sausage its an abomination.

If it is 97% pork scrotum and bell end is it a juicy banger or an abomination?:D Most irish sausage contains rusk, probably about 10% by volume.

Pighead - try cooking sausages long and slow on a low heat in a pan on the stove. 25 minutes, start the pan on a high heat then reduce to low for a delicious sticky, oozy saussie. (Sorry Alun, didn't see your post)
    Xavi6 wrote: »
    Rice.

The boil in the bag stuff I can do no bother but the regular shit just always turns to mush for sime reason.

Forget all that rubbish about measured rice and water - cook rice in a large pan of salted boiling water until done, drain through a colander and cover for 10 minutes then fluff up with a fork. Works every time.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

damn that matar paneer!

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭MREGAN

This thread I thought was a joke. Until I read everyones comments. I can see your points but I wouldnt say sausages are hard to cook just require a bit of attention in the cooking.
    Whats wrong with Galtee Traditional Gold Pork Bangers
    This is a joke. No offence to galtee or any other brands but you can put any part of the pig in and call it pork. Any of these packet sausages are the worst you can get. Butchers sausages all the way

MREGAN wrote: »
    This thread I thought was a joke. Until I read everyones comments. I can see your points but I wouldnt say sausages are hard to cook just require a bit of attention in the cooking.

This is a joke. No offence to galtee or any other brands but you can put any part of the pig in and call it pork. Any of these packet sausages are the worst you can get. Butchers sausages all the way
    Listen pal, Pighead won't hear of anybody badmouthing Galtee Traditional Gold Pork Bangers. Pighead has tasted many sausages in his time (quiten down at the back) and when cooked correctly( which admittedly isn't too often) the Galtee bangers are comparable with any butchers efforts. You Madam are a Sausage Snob.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,529 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Minder wrote: »
    Pighead - try cooking sausages long and slow on a low heat in a pan on the stove. 25 minutes, start the pan on a high heat then reduce to low for a delicious sticky, oozy saussie. (Sorry Alun, didn't see your post)
    ..and use a ridged pan, to stop them rolling all over the place.
    Minder wrote: »
    Forget all that rubbish about measured rice and water - cook rice in a large pan of salted boiling water until done, drain through a colander and cover for 10 minutes then fluff up with a fork. Works every time.
    I find that under-cooking the rice (by a minute or two), straining it, (leave the water in the saucepan, rest the colander/sieve on top of the saucepan and replace the lid, then leave the rice like this until you need to serve, produces the best results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Alun wrote: »
    Forget all this healthy eating nonsense when it comes to sausages .. there's only one way to cook sausages properly and that's to fry them long and slow, anything up to 30 mins. That way they don't burst, they remain nice and moist and flavoursome and they develop that gorgeous sweet caramelized exterior. You need proper sausages though with a high meat content, not those nasty fluorescent bright pink monstrosities that are more cereal than meat.

Exactly the way I cook mine. Always much sure they go on a very hot pan aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Listen pal, Pighead won't hear of anybody badmouthing Galtee Traditional Gold Pork Bangers. Pighead has tasted many sausages in his time (quiten down at the back) and when cooked correctly( which admittedly isn't too often) the Galtee bangers are comparable with any butchers efforts. You Madam are a Sausage Snob.

That made me laugh, but joking aside, I see the ingredients are listed on the Galtee saussies and include BHA/BHT. Didn't know what that was so I looked it up. :eek::eek::eek::eek:

They may taste like pumpkin pie..........

Advertisement