Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hardest food to cook is....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭MREGAN

Listen Pighead your taste buds must not be working. I wasnt bad mouthing Galtee just saying Butchers are better. Pighead should broaden pigheads horizons and get out more. There is more to life than Galtee. Try your local butcher you will be surprised. If Galtee is your thing then enjoy and get a MRS/MR Pighead to cook for you. Problem solved ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Exactly the way I cook mine. Always much sure they go on a very hot pan aswell.
    Yep, that's it .. hot pan to start with to brown them off a bit and get them going, and then gradually reduce the heat until they're just barely sizzling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I like my sausages burnt so I never have a problem with having to watch them. I like the idea of cooking them slowly for a long time though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

janeybabe wrote: »
    I like my sausages burnt so I never have a problem with having to watch them.

BBQ for you then, because a barbequed sausage is not cooked unless you can write with it. Unwritten rule #01 of barbequing.:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Minder wrote: »
    BBQ for you then, because a barbequed sausage is not cooked unless you can write with it. Unwritten rule #01 of barbequing.:D

If you pour boiling water over your sausages and leave them sitting in it for 10 minutes before putting them on the BBQ they cook well and stay succulent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Minder wrote: »

Exactly! Although I can burn them nicely when frying or grilling them too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭coffee to go

To the folks who have issues with rice, I always sucked at it too, until my Canadian wife showed me how to cook it properly.

Easy directions for two people (in the style of Gordon Ramsey):

Take mug.
    Fill mug to top with water.
    Pour into saucepan.
    Fill mug again with water.
    Pour into saucepan.
    Add pinch of salt.
    Put on lid.
    Bring water to boil on high heat.
    Fill same mug with rice.
    Add rice to boiling water.
    Stir.
    Replace lid - Tilted if doesn't have a vent).
    Wait for water to come back to boil.
    Reduce heat to low (2 on our stove)
    Allow to simmer until all the water has absorbed (about 10 minutes - Poke end of wooden spoon down through rice to see bottom of pot to check).
    Serve.

None of this colander malarkey!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Superquinns Sausages + BBQ = :pac:

I have to agree that when cooking sausages in a frying pan I require assistance or else I turn into a snivelling mess on the kitchen floor.

damn that matar paneer!

What happens to it on you?
    I can't make paneer taste as good as from restaurents.

Everything I cook almost always mysteriously works.
    Even meat which I know nothing about.

Consequently if something doesn't come out tasting good, I get ridiculiously upset.
    I look at enjoying my meals as my most basic human right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Pighead wrote: »
    The skin breaks and they get all curly making them even harder cook. Why are they so damn hard to cook?
    Frying a sausage perfectly is like making love to a beautiful woman. You must cover her in oil, turn up the heat slowly and always, always, always keep her on the move.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,529 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Frying a sausage perfectly is like making love to a beautiful woman. You must cover her in oil, turn up the heat slowly and always, always, always keep her on the move.
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Whats wrong with Galtee Traditional Gold Pork Bangers? They're great. They've even got citric acid in them.

Try Paul Rankin sausages, they're excellent!
    MREGAN wrote: »
    No offence to galtee or any other brands but you can put any part of the pig in and call it pork. Any of these packet sausages are the worst you can get. Butchers sausages all the way

Not entirely true. Sausages can't be called 'pork' sausages unless there's a certain minimum amount of pork in them, any less and they're just called sausages, without the pork bit! And you needn't think that butchers don't lob in a good dollop of crap aswell.

Though I do agree with you that what can be called 'pork' is debatable!

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Beerlao

Xavi you need to rinse your rice a few times to get rid of the starch, that'll stop it turning into rice pudding. you'll know the starch is out of it when the water doesn't turn into a cloudy mess when you chuck the rice in.

i'm crap at flipping over an egg when frying it without the yolk going everywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

Shaws or Clonakilty sausages are the business!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

gucci wrote: »
    Shaws or Clonakilty sausages are the business!
    Nope, both horrible. Any half-decent UK sausage is miles better than the fatty and gelatinous muck we get here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Agreed. Go to Borough Market in London, if you want some good sausages. Amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭antoniosicily

cuts of pig with low fat, they tend to become tough in a short time

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Steak. I've been trying for 20years. Rump, T, Strip, expensive, cheap, heavy pan, light pan, grill pan, gas, tenderised, electric, oil, butter. Every bloody combo and still i can't cook steak the way I like it. Rare as. Fat crisply done, outer burnt, 1mm in and it gets bloody and soft. Is there a magic secret to how it's served in Paris? I've never been convinced of the quality of irish steak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

humberklog wrote: »
    Steak. I've been trying for 20years. Rump, T, Strip, expensive, cheap, heavy pan, light pan, grill pan, gas, tenderised, electric, oil, butter. Every bloody combo and still i can't cook steak the way I like it. Rare as. Fat crisply done, outer burnt, 1mm in and it gets bloody and soft. Is there a magic secret to how it's served in Paris? I've never been convinced of the quality of irish steak.

Blow torch.

seriously are you leaving it out to get to room temp for 30 mins before you put it near any heat ?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Blow torch.

seriously are you leaving it out to get to room temp for 30 mins before you put it near any heat ?
    I have done and usally do. Unless in hurry. I don't buy it often as i can't cook it. Never tried blow torching but wouldn't expect to get results from that method. it wouldn't get warmed in centre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Spastafarian

Nope, both horrible. Any half-decent UK sausage is miles better than the fatty and gelatinous muck we get here.

No way! High pork content sausages just taste like ground pork. Ground pork sucks. Sausages with about 50% pork and loads of grain or whatever else are the best. Man I miss those sausages since I've come to australia. You can't get anything but those UK style sausage shaped pork burgers here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

No way! High pork content sausages just taste like ground pork. Ground pork sucks. Sausages with about 50% pork and loads of grain or whatever else are the best. Man I miss those sausages since I've come to australia. You can't get anything but those UK style sausage shaped pork burgers here.

I just had a conversation with a fellow Irish person about this who is staying for the weekend. Sausages here (in NZ) just aren't the same. They mostly eat beef ones here. They're really not the same. I'd KILL for a superquinn sausage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Oh I certainly missed my bit of sausage in Oz/Nz. They are muck there. The pies make up for it though :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

blowfish sushi. if you don't prepare it right it actually could kill you (seriously, certain parts are poisonous). :D

sausages - cumberland ring ftw. blasted initially in a pan at max heat, then take it off after it starts to brown and back onto a low heat after it's stopped spitting, turning occasionally till golden brown. oh, and if you didn't actually buy it in or around the cumbria area, it doesn't count. ;)

rice - basmati ftw, anything else is muck. 2.5 cups/mugs buckets or whatever of water to rice and simmer till the water drops below the level of the rice in the pan. strain with a colander (keeping the strained water) and then put the water back in the pan (top up with more boiling water if needed), the colander over the top and then either the pan lid or tinfoil over the top of the colander to seal in the steam from the water and leave it to steam for 10 minutes. the result is the kind of rice you normally get in restaurants etc. light and fluffy but not stodgy or dripping wet.

steak - i've always like striploin, it's got good fat content through the meat so it's easy to make a good job of cooking it without too much hassle and it also cooks well on the bbq, but whatever takes your fancy. put 50/50 butter and olive oil in a pan and get it good and hot and throw in your steak, browning both sides to your liking (as quickly as possible) and then you're going to need some tongs to hold the fatty edge down on the pan to render the fat properly and brown it off nicely. take it off the heat, hopefully it won't be cooked on the inside if your pan was hot enough, you're going to do that over a low heat in the oven (about 180 degrees) checking every 4-5 mins to see how well it's done.

now, this is the good bit. how do you know when it's done to your liking?
    Hold your left hand out open and relaxed, and press the flesh of your left thumb with your right index finger. It should feel quite soft, and this is how a rare steak should feel when you press it with your finger.

Now lightly touch your left thumb to your left index finger, and press the flesh of your thumb with your right index finger. This is how a medium-rare steak should feel when it’s ready. Next, lightly touch your left thumb to your left middle finger, and pressing the flesh of your left thumb will feel like a medium steak when it’s ready. Touching your left thumb to your left ring finger will make the flesh of your left thumb feel like a medium-well steak, and touching the left thumb to your left little finger will make the flesh of your thumb feel like a well-done steak.
    once you've ovened it to your liking (mind the hot pan handle!) leave it to rest for a few minutes out of the oven to allow the muscles in the steak to relax before serving.

also try and use the juices that have come out of it in your sauce somewhere for a bit of extra flavour. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

WindSock wrote: »
    Oh I certainly missed my bit of sausage in Oz/Nz. They are muck there. The pies make up for it though :pac:

True, I had a steak and cheese one yesterday. It was steakily delicious!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

As has been said, the best way to cook sausages is to cook them on the lowest heat for a long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Gordon wrote: »
    As has been said, the best way to cook sausages is to cook them on the lowest heat for a long time.
    What if you were really late for work but absolutely had to have a sausage sandwich before you left the house? Is there any speedy methods you're aware of to cook those bangers?

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,128 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

George foreman is your friend in this case. Few minutes to heat up and then lob in your sausies for 5-10 min.

For the BGRH regulars, drip the fat back over them from the waste tray. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

What if you were really late for work but absolutely had to have a sausage sandwich before you left the house? Is there any speedy methods you're aware of to cook those bangers?
    Invent a Sausage's Maid?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭lorna100

palovas v easy to make - just make sure every utensil used is 100% free of fat or grease - even remenants in the mixing bowl will mess it us. beat whites til there stiff.

thats it really, oh make sure your ovens the right temp.

Advertisement