Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Areas around Barrow Street

Options
  • 12-06-2008 9:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭

So my lease is up for my apartment in Portmarnock at the end of next month. Looking to move into the city. I work near Grand Canal Dock dart station (Barrow Street) and want to find somewhere either on the dart line (max 10-15mins walk from dart station) or somewhere within walking distance of Barrow Street (Walking distance = 30mins or less, preferably).

Would any of you have any ideas of areas? The lot in my office are all ones who travel in from Mulingar/Carlow every morning so are absolutely bot-all use!

I've been looking at places like Ringsend, Irishtown, Sandymount etc but that's about where my limited knowledge ends!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Well the city centre is in strolling distance from barrow st but you may spend a little extra because of the location. I'd check out sir john rogersons quay which has an abundance of new apartment builds around it. Not very well served at the moment shop wise but I'm sure that will change soon,it's the next boom area I'm sure, only a stroll from pearse st and the grand canal dock. The feerymans could be your local,they do nice cavery too. I'm not sure what the specif apartment complexes are called but their is a lot of them, If you go from barrow to pearse turn left and look right,behind the new dock is the area I'm referring to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I do know a bit about Barrow st.
    To give you a general idea of the area, Grand Canal st upper is like the border between where the posh live(to the west of it) and traditional working class/gentrified area to the east of it(Barrow st up to the docks, all old style terraced housing with apt blocks dotted in).
    Go further north and you'll find old corpo housing as you head into the inner city though Pearse st can be a culture shock for outsiders, i've never had any problem walking down there.

All perfectly safe areas in my opinion. Ringsend might seem to some as a culture shock too but its grand.
    South Lotts down to Sandymount is ok too, i'd recommend around here over the others for proximity to GCD station.

Advertisement