Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Because I'm not bitter - (it was 20 years ago today)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

Darn youtube bans at work, what are we bitter about?
    +edit+ Oh ray houghton! the best Scottish footballer ever...to play for Oireland!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Oh my jesus.

It was twenty bleedin' years ago.

"Des" Cahill has "Big Jack" on tonight, and Morning Ireland were doing a feature this morning too.

FFS, people complain about "the brits" going on about their WC win.

But this is just embarrassing.

Not a dig at you Mike, not at all, I just hate this shít of celebrating a win that happened all that time ago.

So what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Yup he's right, Houghton isn't Irish and he certainly sold himself out on that clip

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Says more about the current state of play than anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

DefF I agree entirely (England 66 and all that) but I also know if I didn't start this someone sure would have and I just thought I'd get my punch in from the moral high ground first! :p

Mike.

• Advertisement

May as well celebrate it.

European Championships record

* 1960-1984 - Did not qualify
    * 1988 - First Round
    * 1992-2008 - Did not qualify

zAbbo wrote: »

May as well celebrate qualifying for a tournament twenty years ago?

Whatever you're into mate, but I call that minnowism.

Ireland didn't even come out of the group ffs.

I say we celebrate drawing with Egypt in Italia 90 instead. At least we qualified from the group that time.

So what, we beat England, big swinging mickey.

Oh, right, they are The Auld Enemy.

Fúck sake.

zAbbo wrote: »

European Championships record

* 1960-1984 - Did not qualify
    * 1988 - First Round
    * 1992-2008 - Did not qualify

Wow....go on, start listing out the fantastic nations of football powers that have better European records than us.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Ah Des calm down, a bit of nostalgia is what makes football fans tick.

Ok i understand the TV coverage is a wee bit overboard, but a youtube clip on a football forum isnt exactly going overboard.

Eirebear wrote: »
    Ah Des calm down, a bit of nostalgia is what makes football fans tick.

Ok i understand the TV coverage is a wee bit overboard, but a youtube clip on a football forum isnt exactly going overboard.

I was talking about "Des" Cahill getting "Big Jack" on to the rayjo later.

And I'm telling you, Houghton would probably complain about the defending for the goal anyway. :D

• Advertisement

Swing and a miss lads, I know it's nothing to celebrate.

Don't get me wrong, I was highlighting our abysmal Euros record, only every qualifying once... :(

Looking at it, I know we didn't progress past the first round, but those were the days with only 8 teams in the finals, and we were slightly unlucky coming third

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

You can be certain it'll be on Euro 08 coverage tonight

Billo - Lads can you belive its 20 years ago today?

John - It was a great achivement at the time Bill - a breakthrough

Eamo - Ah Bill c'mon now, it was great at the time but it never did lead to any geniune breakthrough due to the way Jack had us playing.

Chippy - I wasn't even there Bill :(

Mike,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

DesF wrote: »
    I was talking about "Des" Cahill getting "Big Jack" on to the rayjo later.

And I'm telling you, Houghton would probably complain about the defending for the goal anyway. :D

It could be worse, it could be the scotland team who beat england at wembley in 1967.....in a friendly...... :(

(Ok they did rip the complete and utter piss out of them, but still)

mike65 wrote: »
    You can be certain it'll be on Euro 08 coverage tonight

Billo - Lads can you belive its 20 years ago today?

John - It was a great achivement at the time Bill - a breakthrough

Eamo - Ah Bill c'mon now, it was great at the time but it never did lead to any geniune breakthrough due to the way Jack had us playing.

Chippy - If I had knew that was in the bag Bill, I wouldnt have came on the show tonight:(

Mike,

Fixed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Some of those complaining probably do not even remember the time. It was a glorious win in an otherwise desert of crap. The nostalgia is excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

If I had knew that was in the bag Bill, I wouldnt have came on the show tonight :(

LOL :D

Some of those complaining probably do not even remember the time. It was a glorious win in an otherwise desert of crap. The nostalgia is excellent.

I most certainly remember it.

It was a fantastic time, no doubt.

But it was 20 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Yeah 20 yrs ago, but it was the closest we came to actually making a real impact on european football, 8 mins away from the LAST 4! All downhill from there though I'm afraid :( .....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Brian Moore:

.........the boy from Donegal, where some people tell me it's pronounced boner.

:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

May as well celebrate qualifying for a tournament twenty years ago?

Whatever you're into mate, but I call that minnowism.
    But we ARE minnows, Des.

Maybe not ‘celebrate’, but I don't think there's anything wrong with looking back affectionately at Houghton’s goal in Euro 88. It may be highlighting our abysmal qualifying record, but all the same, it was a big moment in our sporting (or soccer, at least) history and as a minnow we don't get many of them... especially not lately.

Here’s to the ‘glorious’ past! I look forward to the 25th of June 2010 and the 18th of June 2014!

But we ARE minnows, Des.

I know that.

Some people don't accept it though, and it is these people who do the most shouting at times like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Noun

minnow (plural minnows)

1. A small freshwater fish of the carp family.
    2. More generally, any small fish.
    3. (soccer) A low-level team, in comparison to their opponents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭jprender

In fairness, it was one of the highest points in the history of the national team.

No harm in remembering a better time.

Could be another 20 years before we do anything similar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

jprender wrote: »
    In fairness, it was one of the highest points in the history of the national team.

No harm in remembering a better time.

Could be another 20 years before we do anything similar.

LOL...20 years until we do something similar? Qualify for a tournament and not even reach the knockout round? We will qualify for 2012, if not for the World cup, cause' their increasing the number of teams.

Des, how are we minnows?

We have finished third and fourth with a 'good' level of points since 2002. But we still finished third.

We didn't qualify for 2004, because we ****ed up BOTH of our home games. If we had beaten the Swiss at home we would have qualifed...

2006, we lost one match against FRANCE!!!!!! The eventual world cup finalists.

2008, was a disaster, but it was the managers fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Oh my jesus.

It was twenty bleedin' years ago.

"Des" Cahill has "Big Jack" on tonight, and Morning Ireland were doing a feature this morning too.

But this is just embarrassing.

Not a dig at you Mike, not at all, I just hate this shít of celebrating a win that happened all that time ago.

So what?

800 years though Des, 800 years;):D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭patmac

800 years though Des, 800 years;):D

I was working in London at the time on the buildings and we had overtime that morning any way the pubs were closed between 2 and 4 in them days and a co-worker called Demo Den said he knew a pub which was open and off we headed to Ladbroke Grove, so just before we entered he said it was best I kept quiet and that my name was Paul. Anyway the game starts and there is me and about 20 other skinheads all members of the notorious Chelsea Headhunters complete with Union Jack teeshirts and tatoos of the Queen sitting at the bar and watching the game. It was not as enjoyable as some people made it out to be with a few trips to the toilet to celebrate by punching the air silently and then heading back to my seat with my best Funeral Directors face on and saying in my best Cockney accent 'fcking terrible innit.' So when the Final whistle went I walked out in disgust at the pathetic England performance and did a little jig outside the pub and headed to Ealing to join in the celebrations and started to speak normally again.

Nothing wrong with looking back at the rare ol' times imo.

Haha great story....can imagine ya out in the jacks celebrating alright!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭jprender

LOL...20 years until we do something similar? Qualify for a tournament and not even reach the knockout round? We will qualify for 2012, if not for the World cup, cause' their increasing the number of teams.

Des, how are we minnows?

We have finished third and fourth with a 'good' level of points since 2002. But we still finished third.

We didn't qualify for 2004, because we ****ed up BOTH of our home games. If we had beaten the Swiss at home we would have qualifed...

2006, we lost one match against FRANCE!!!!!! The eventual world cup finalists.

2008, was a disaster, but it was the managers fault.

Qualifying back then was a lot more difficult, and getting out of the group meant a semi-finals. That team was without a doubt the most successful team. Its a shame you missed it.

We are without a doubt minnows on the European Soccer scene. In the third tier of nations at the very most, which in my eyes constitutes minnowdom.
    I cant imagine Italy, Bulgaria or Cyprus for that matter, are quaking in their boots at the thought of playing us.

We are no longer good enough, so it is good to think of a great past victory.

• Advertisement

As a Bulgaria fan:

I can't imagine Republic of Ireland, Italy or Cyprus shaking in their boots at the thought of playing us.

So what other teams do you class as minnows?

Poland?
    Scotland?
    Denmark?
    Bulgaria?

We are 42nd in the world according to Fifa, and 30th according to ELO....this is not being minnows...this is probably in relation to our size probably standard...we just so happen to have players that tend to be pretty damn good, and produce them regulary enough. Keane, Given, Dunne, Duff etc.

Anyway, I think Des has lost the plot. Its not rejoicing over the victory its just celebrating something that happened 20 years ago to this day. Its not like every year we line the streets with elation celebrating the victory. It was our first win in a major tournament, and it happened to be at the expence of our former colonial master, which makes it a big deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Well someone had to post it....

patmac wrote: »
    I was working in London at the time on the buildings and we had overtime that morning any way the pubs were closed between 2 and 4 in them days and a co-worker called Demo Den said he knew a pub which was open and off we headed to Ladbroke Grove, so just before we entered he said it was best I kept quiet and that my name was Paul. Anyway the game starts and there is me and about 20 other skinheads all members of the notorious Chelsea Headhunters complete with Union Jack teeshirts and tatoos of the Queen sitting at the bar and watching the game. It was not as enjoyable as some people made it out to be with a few trips to the toilet to celebrate by punching the air silently and then heading back to my seat with my best Funeral Directors face on and saying in my best Cockney accent 'fcking terrible innit.' So when the Final whistle went I walked out in disgust at the pathetic England performance and did a little jig outside the pub and headed to Ealing to join in the celebrations and started to speak normally again.

Nothing wrong with looking back at the rare ol' times imo.

That's a good story, I like it.:D

I remember when Ireland played England at Wembley in a world cup qualifier and the "Master Race" went on a rampage through Kilburn beforehand.:rolleyes:

That was a nil nil draw (Lee Sharpe's first game for Negland I recall) which meant Ireland qualified along with England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,579 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Of course its good to remember this one fondly.

- Our first ever major final tournament
    - First game
    - Completely written off
    - Playing one of the teams fancied to win the tournament
    - Playing our nearest neighbours
    - Winning the game 1-0

Its not fair to compare to the English obsession with '1966 and all that'. It pops up now cause its the 20th anniversary and also cause there's a European Championship on.

So lighten up Des et al and enjoy the nostalgia

I remember watching the game on Woodstown beach in Waterford, a fella had a telly set up in the back of his van. We were all doing Ray Houghton headers in the water for about 2 hours afterwards :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Great that it's being remembered. Many of the younger posters just dont realise the huge signifigance of that day. The country went absolutely nuts incl people with no interest in football. Same as Italia 90, when me and my mates reminicse about those days the young lads with their EPL obsessions just dont get it. Magic days and never to be repeated.

That's a good story, I like it.:D

I remember when Ireland played England at Wembley in a world cup qualifier and the "Master Race" went on a rampage through Kilburn beforehand.:rolleyes:

That was a nil nil draw (Lee Sharpe's first game for Negland I recall) which meant Ireland qualified along with England.

You're mistaken there mate. Are you thinking of the Euro 92 qualifier?? WE completely outplayed them and drew 1-1 but they ended up qualifying and we didnt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

As a Bulgaria fan:

I can't imagine Republic of Ireland, Italy or Cyprus shaking in their boots at the thought of playing us.

So what other teams do you class as minnows?

Poland?
    Scotland?
    Denmark?
    Bulgaria?

We are 42nd in the world according to Fifa, and 30th according to ELO....this is not being minnows...this is probably in relation to our size probably standard...we just so happen to have players that tend to be pretty damn good, and produce them regulary enough. Keane, Given, Dunne, Duff etc.

Anyway, I think Des has lost the plot. Its not rejoicing over the victory its just celebrating something that happened 20 years ago to this day. Its not like every year we line the streets with elation celebrating the victory. It was our first win in a major tournament, and it happened to be at the expence of our former colonial master, which makes it a big deal.

Would you consider Guinea to be a minnow of world football?

You're mistaken there mate. Are you thinking of the Euro 92 qualifier?? WE completely outplayed them and drew 1-1 but they ended up qualifying and we didnt.

oh yeah. I had it in my mind that England had already qualified and Ireland needed a point, but the runners up didn't qualify that year. I remember UEFA sent an official along as pretty much every player on the pitch was English ;)

Oh well, such is life. It was a long time ago

oh yeah. I had it in my mind that England had already qualified and Ireland needed a point, but the runners up didn't qualify that year. I remember UEFA sent an official along as pretty much every player on the pitch was English ;)

Oh well, such is life. It was a long time ago

England had not qualified at this stage. We were well in contention to top the group and then blew a 3-1 lead away to Poland iirc. What are you on about a UEFA official being sent?? Of course there would be one there and as for every player being English???:confused: WTF?

The line up that night was: Bonner, Irwin, Moran, O'Leary, Staunton, Houghton, McGrath, Townsend, Sheedy, Aldridge, Quinn.

Townsend and Aldridge the only English born players there. Sheedy Wesh born i think.

Are you on a wind up?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Oh my jesus.

Bit harsh it was a great lift for the country at the time that said you are right in a way, we always complain about the English and someone on this board even had a go at the BBC the other night because they ran an interview with Fabio Capello.

That said back on topic remember it was Kenny Sansom that made the mistake for the goal :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,479 ✭✭✭finbarrk

I was in Stuttgart that day, in the terrace behind the goals, it was some occasion. Some of the people ranting on this post don't realise the significance of the victory.
    It was a great trip but that day in Stuttgart was very tense in town before and after the match. There were a few minor incidents before the match so we decided to get out of town after the match, by train to Heidelberg where we partied the night away in safety!
    Its an occasion that is in my top 5 anyway.

• Advertisement

England had not qualified at this stage. We were well in contention to top the group and then blew a 3-1 lead away to Poland iirc. What are you on about a UEFA official being sent?? Of course there would be one there and as for every player being English???:confused: WTF?

The line up that night was: Bonner, Irwin, Moran, O'Leary, Staunton, Houghton, McGrath, Townsend, Sheedy, Aldridge, Quinn.

Townsend and Aldridge the only English born players there. Sheedy Wesh born i think.

Are you on a wind up?

only pulling your leg pal.

I must be getting my games confused, I was at the match but I went to several key games 15 to 20 years ago.

(I'm English by the way;))

Are you on a wind up?

Just for information O'leary born in England as was McGrath, Kevin Sheedy born Wales, Houghton in Scotland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,577 ✭✭✭mormank

ray is clearly the man!! he did this for us a couple of times against top top teams...

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Just for information O'leary born in England as was McGrath, Kevin Sheedy born Wales, Houghton in Scotland.

Yeah but to an Irish women, who met his dad in Dublin. She just went to London for him to be born.

Stekelly wrote: »
    Would you consider Guinea to be a minnow of world football?

On first sights...yes I would.

But having seen their results of course not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Haha, England haven't beaten us in 20 years. Nice.

Yeah but to an Irish women, who met his dad in Dublin. She just went to London for him to be born.

I was referring to a previous post in which the poster mentioned that only two of the players were BORN in England, I was just telling him that McGrath and O'leary were also BORN in London.

Yeah I know man, just saying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

why the **** was there a 5 minute piece on the news about the England game 20 years ago?

how ****ing embarrasing :(

Yeah I know man, just saying.

;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement