Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Show Respect for your Fellow Europeans who can't vote

Options
  • 12-06-2008 9:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭

We are the priveleged few. PLEASE PLEASE use your vote. We are the only people in Europe who can vote. Lets show our fellow Europeans that we respect them.
    This is not an advocation of the YES side by the way. FYI I'm voting NO for the very same reasons of respect for my fellow Europeans

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

this is not the right forum...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭galwaybabe

Sniipe wrote: »
    this is not the right forum...

What is the "right" forum? Are there no voters in Galway?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

zzzzzzZZZZZZZ

Sherifu wrote: »
    zzzzzzZZZZZZZ
    That's what I'm worried about! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

galwaybabe wrote: »
    That's what I'm worried about! :(

yeah me too, had to travel for an hour and a half this morning before my course to vote. Hate when people don't vote cause they couldn't be bothered or whatever. They are usually the ones that complain about the effects of it in the long run then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

We are the priveleged few. PLEASE PLEASE use your vote. We are the only people in Europe who can vote. Lets show our fellow Europeans that we respect them.
    This is not an advocation of the YES side by the way. FYI I'm voting NO for the very same reasons of respect for my fellow Europeans

Of course they can vote. Their ratifications of the treaty are dependent on the actions of their own democratically-elected parliaments. You're implying that they've had no say at all! Is it not a bit presumptuous of you to vote no "on behalf of" other Europeans, when their own democratically-elected governments have largely ratified the treaty by large margins?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_of_Lisbon#Ratification

If they have a problem with the treaty let them take it up with their own democratic systems, don't be assuming anything on their behalf.

cornbb wrote: »
    Of course they can vote. Their ratifications of the treaty are dependent on the actions of their own democratically-elected parliaments. You're implying that they've had no say at all! Is it not a bit presumptuous of you to vote no "on behalf of" other Europeans, when their own democratically-elected governments have largely ratified the treaty by large margins?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_of_Lisbon#Ratification

If they have a problem with the treaty let them take it up with their own democratic systems, don't be assuming anything on their behalf.

They have no say at all. Do you really think that the people who voted no in the French and Dutch referendums for the Constitution feel that they have had a say. Horse ****e

They have no say at all. Do you really think that the people who voted no in the French and Dutch referendums for the Constitution feel that they have had a say. Horse ****e

The French national assembly and Senate both passed the treaty by margins of over 5-1. These assemblies were elected by the French people. That is how they have had their say. If the French have a problem with how their representatives voted, it is a matter for them internally, to take up with their own democratic system. Do you really think that your presumption that they would all like you to vote no on their behalf is more democratic? Are you a better representative for the French, Dutch or any other nation than their own national assemblies? Is that the only reason you're voting No, are you not voting based on any of the issues that will affect Ireland?

The French national assembly and Senate both passed the treaty by margins of over 5-1. These assemblies were elected by the French people. That is how they have had their say. If the French have a problem with how their representatives voted, it is a matter for them internally, to take up with their own democratic system. Do you really think that your presumption that they would all like you to vote no on their behalf is more democratic? Are you a better representative for the French, Dutch or any other nation than their own national assemblies? Is that the only reason you're voting No, are you not voting based on any of the issues that will affect Ireland?
    I think beyond Ireland. This vote is about the future of Europe not Ireland for feck's sake! It is the insular attitude of people like yourself that give us Irish a bad reputation

I think beyond Ireland. This vote is about the future of Europe not Ireland for feck's sake! It is the insular attitude of people like yourself that give us Irish a bad reputation

In my last post I could just have easily have said "are you not voting based on any of the issues that will affect Europe?" and I would have made the same point. So don't try to tarnish me as insular or anti-Europe.

Your assertion that you "think beyond Ireland" is completely beside the point, your insistence on voting "on behalf of" other Europeans, and not on the actual issues that affect everyone, is illogical and is not in the spirit of democracy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bass Cadet

I'm all for a pan-european nuclear-armed 'Euro-Army' so we can take over the world and I can at last fulfill my potential and become a Space Cop...Yass!

In my last post I could just have easily have said "are you not voting based on any of the issues that will affect Europe?" and I would have made the same point. So don't try to tarnish me as insular or anti-Europe.

Your assertion that you "think beyond Ireland" is completely beside the point, your insistence on voting "on behalf of" other Europeans, and not on the actual issues that affect everyone, is illogical and is not in the spirit of democracy.
    I suggest you have a read of this and this
    and while you're at it have a gander at this

I suggest you have a read of this

Where does it say that there's a No sentiment among French voters, and that they would like anyone else to vote No on their behalf? That poll suggests that French people wanted a referendum, it does not indicate which way they would have voted. As I said previously, if they feel aggrieved at not being allowed to have a referendum, that is between themselves and their governments and an assumption that you should vote one way or another on their behalf is completely illogical and undemocratic.
    and this

What has that page got to do with the issue we're discussing? I'd be obliged if you could quote some relevant passages. I find it ironic that you claim to "think beyond Ireland", claim to be doing what is best for Europe, and link to a page entitled "Lisbon Treaty is Coup d´Etat. Free Europe will be restored by breaking up of the EU" to back up your position.
    and while you're at it have a gander at this

Ditto, this page is entitled "United against EU". Show me the relevance.

So have you made an attempt to inform yourself of the issues surrounding the Lisbon Treaty or are you still insisting on voting based on an illogical assumption of what other people would want?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

i'm not using my vote, who wants it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

DRakE wrote: »
    Ill take it Al then I can vote Yes and No so I cant lose! :) :pac:

DRakE wrote: »

Vote Atari Jaguar ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

danniemcq wrote: »
    yeah me too, had to travel for an hour and a half this morning before my course to vote. Hate when people don't vote cause they couldn't be bothered or whatever. They are usually the ones that complain about the effects of it in the long run then

G'man Danny, I had to drive down last night and up again this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

jesus fair play poOk, you had slighty further (well few hours more) than me to travel!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I voted for Captain Planet on my ballot card :D We can chaaaaange the world!...seriously though who gives a toss about Europe..full of those annoying damn Europeans..oh look at me I have culture and my girlfriend has a mustache...pfffffffff..who needs em!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

Wompa1 wrote: »
    my girlfriend has a mustache...pfffffffff..who needs em!

pics? :confused:

• Advertisement
Advertisement