Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Garda crackdown for a week.

Options
  • 12-06-2008 9:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

de papure

LEARNER drivers who fail to display L-plates or drive unaccompanied on a provisional licence will be among the primary targets of a Garda blitz on driving offences.

Operation Safeguard, a six-day Garda crackdown on motoring offences, swings into action tomorrow.

“The emphasis of this Garda traffic operation is to promote and improve a compliance culture amongst the public, through the comprehensive enforcement of all facets of road traffic legislation,” said a Garda spokesman.

While provisional licence holding drivers will be a primary focus, the initiative will be far-reaching and comprehensive.

The continuing campaign against drink driving will also be included.

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Heard this on the radio. I never see any extra Garda presense when they announce these crackdowns. Does not affect me anyway and besides, Im off back to the US this weekend until July! Yay for me :D

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Does this mean that in reality the gardai won't be out in force?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

Probably this just means they will be hidden behind more bus stops!

Heard from my Bro in law (robo-traffic-cop) he rang to warn my other half, because he thought she was still a learner driver with no L plates up that they have being told to do random traffic stops checking for licence's?

Don't know or care how true this is!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

I hope they do something about this, this time - when I heard this on the radio this morning, the next car I saw behind me was an unaccompanied learner on his phone....

Paddy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Can they please also do something about the muppets who put L Plates up, but with the L pointing the wrong way (usually on its side)?

I mean, if they can't even get the L Plate on the right way around, how can they be trusted to drive a car?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

As far as I can tell they're flat out for the week, checkpoint after checkpoint and random tuggings.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

random tuggings.

?

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    ?

It means pulling over cars with L plates totally at random as they move from checkpoint to checkpoint or whenever they see one as they drive along.

You give them a tug by turning the blues on and flashing your headlamps to move them into the hard shoulder for a nice chat.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

As far as my housemate (GTC) is concerned, they're flat out for the week, checkpoint after checkpoint and random tuggings.

maybe I'm missing something here, but, why are they only doing it this week? If it's illegal tomorrow, it's illegal everyday - what's with the part-time policing ?

Rarely do I agree with Conor Faughnan, but I heard him on this subject on ...2FM?....this morning, and he was spot on: if you have a 'learner permit', you have to have L-plates and an accompanying driver, Full Stop. Quit whinging to the GTC about 'I have to get to work' etc, and just do your test.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Clare_Guy

Gardai... out in FARCE! :p

• Advertisement

galwaytt wrote: »
    maybe I'm missing something here, but, why are they only doing it this week? If it's illegal tomorrow, it's illegal everyday - what's with the part-time policing ?

I know what you mean, but I gather the issue is the way the checkpoints mean they don't get time to do anything else. They have to obey the higher officers, like superintendents.

GTC had recently posted about how much he disliked not being able to catch bad drivers like before, they just don't have the time anymore with these money-grabbing checkpoints.

The whole thing's a mess! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭bustershark

I think it's a bit irish to say that the gardai are going to strictly enforce the law for the next 6 days and they need to have a "cool" operation name to do so. What exactly is it the traffic corps are employed to do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

I know this operation is suppsoed to "start" tomorrow but has anyone noticed a larger presence today?

Also I like the way we get a nice warning before these things start, shouldn't thye just do the operation (or even better police it all year) without making a big song and dance about it.

Again I think it could be another case being seen to do something rather than actually doing anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The warning makes sense, there will be rush to the tyre shops etc today/tomorrow and so media will have done the cops job for them in part.

After all no-one likes a sneaky speed camera do they?

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭dugout16

I thought there was a bit of a chance being given to L drivers until end of June to get things sorted. What about someone who is doing their test in the next couple of weeks and gets stopped in the next few days. Be hard on them...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

dugout16 wrote: »
    I thought there was a bit of a chance being given to L drivers until end of June to get things sorted. What about someone who is doing their test in the next couple of weeks and gets stopped in the next few days. Be hard on them...

Well thats just TS, they'll have to wait until they pass their test or drive accompanied

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

mike65 wrote: »
    The warning makes sense, there will be rush to the tyre shops etc today/tomorrow and so media will have done the cops job for them in part.

Exactly!
    Shock and awe tactics.
    The Revenue do the same thing. Announce a big crackdown but give people time to sort their stuff out.
    The work is done for them :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Again the new laws are only effecting people on 2nd provisionals. I am assuming that if somebody is stopped over the coming days on a second provisional they will let on there way as the new laws aren't in force yet.

People on other provisionals shouldn't be driving on their own and never should have been. This hasn't changed and wont be changing in July. Although this wasn't highly enforced before, there has been nothing stopping the gardai from enforcing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭dugout16

craichoe wrote: »
    Well thats just TS, they'll have to wait until they pass their test or drive accompanied

Yeah i know, but i'm just saying that with the past few months people were being told they had until end of June to sort themselves out. Now its being brought forward a couple weeks. Not much good to a person who is doing there test in 2 weeks time and thought they had time left to get their full licence

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭MackQ

mike65 wrote: »
    de papure

Mike.

According to the Garda spokesman the clampdown "... is to promote and improve a compliance culture amongst the public..."

Interesting also that the crackdown "... will also focus on laws banning the use of mobile phones while driving...”

I wonder will the crackdown also focus on members of the Gardai who continue to use their mobile phones while driving. The number of times I have seen this recently is quite astounding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Now its being brought forward a couple weeks.
    No it's not.

If you're on your second provisional, you won't be caught out by this clampdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,556 ✭✭✭✭vectra

MackQ wrote: »
    I wonder will the crackdown also focus on members of the Gardai who continue to use their mobile phones while driving. The number of times I have seen this recently is quite astounding.

Regular occurance here in my town :rolleyes:

Also
    Crackdown for a week.. ..!!
    Does that meant they will sit down for the rest of the year as the do ? :confused:

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

Yeah i know, but i'm just saying that with the past few months people were being told they had until end of June to sort themselves out. Now its being brought forward a couple weeks. Not much good to a person who is doing there test in 2 weeks time and thought they had time left to get their full licence
    If they are doing their test in a few weeks, they should have a letter saying so. Show the guards the letter, and you should get away with it. Although, I would say that the baklog is now cleared, hence the "crackdown".
    No excuse really, everyone I know who had a provisional for years (including my GF) has had the test by now. Especially if they applied when told to do so.
    BTW, she failed the first attempt (cranky tester!!) and got it the second time round, so plenty of time was given and they did get rid of the backlog alright.:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Checking tires as well?? How petty of them. I'll happily drive my car and will only change the tires if advised by a qualified mechanic...not a garda reading from his ops book..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

MackQ wrote: »
    The Gardai are exempt from the prohibition on the use of handheld mobile phones while driving.
    MODS: perhaps this should be a sticky? :D

DarkJager wrote: »
    Checking tires as well?? How petty of them. I'll happily drive my car and will only change the tires if advised by a qualified mechanic...not a garda reading from his ops book..
    How often do you consult a qualified mechanic on the state of your tyres?

Weekly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

I know what to look for myself in the tires, but have a service done every 3 months.

I know what to look for myself in the tires, but have a service done every 3 months.
    Then you're a rare person on the roads. Most people don't bother having someone look at their car until something is clunking or slipping.

That's why the Gardai have to do basic checks like tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

MY test date is confirmed for 29th July. Do any of ye reckon it would help if I carried the confirmation date letter from SGS with me during July to prove this just in case I got pulled? I seriously need my car for my job!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

I'll happily drive my car and will only change the tires if advised by a qualified mechanic...not a garda reading from his ops book..

My tyres are fine, just passed the NCT this morning, but if given advice by a garda on any subject, the correct answer is: "Yes Officer, I'm very sorry officer, I'll get it done immediately."

Anything thing else falls under Section 33 of the Offenses Against the State Act: Giving Lip To An Officer in the Course of his Duties, punishable by severe timewasting, legalistic nitpicking and generally being given more hassle than it's worth.

Advertisement