Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Garda crackdown for a week.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

Fizman wrote: »
    MY test date is confirmed for 29th July. Do any of ye reckon it would help if I carried the confirmation date letter from SGS with me during July to prove this just in case I got pulled?

Can't hurt to have it in the glove box. I wouldn't wave it about like a Get Out of Jail Free card, if I were you, though. Unless your on your second provisional, you're breaking the law, so act suitably humble if stopped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

seamus wrote: »
    Then you're a rare person on the roads. Most people don't bother having someone look at their car until something is clunking or slipping.

That's why the Gardai have to do basic checks like tyres.

If you've had as much car trouble as I have, it defintiely costs less to get a regular service!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Bakharwaldog

Zube wrote: »
    Can't hurt to have it in the glove box. I wouldn't wave it about like a Get Out of Jail Free card, if I were you, though. Unless your on your second provisional, you're breaking the law, so act suitably humble if stopped.

What if i had a learner permit (i got one instead of a 2nd provisional)?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

c_k_m wrote: »

It will probably do you as much good as my grannies rhubarb crumble recipe if you get caught driving unaccompanied :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Can the court system even sustain any kind of "blitz"? Or is the govt plan to transfer the backlog from driver testing onto the legal system?

This I gotta see.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭caoimhemo

Im on my 3rd provisional , waiting on a date for my driving test
    Am I legally obliged to have a full licenced driver with me?
    I will be doing 4 trips to the school tommorow and there are usually checks nearby so I dont want to get into trouble
    Anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

caoimhemo wrote: »
    Im on my 3rd provisional , waiting on a date for my driving test
    Am I legally obliged to have a full licenced driver with me?

you always were

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭caoimhemo

peasant wrote: »
    you always were

Woops:o
    Ive never had a problem before and Ive been stopped lots of times in check-points
    Ill have to find someone to come with me then
    thanks

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

c_k_m wrote: »

Same thing really. You should have the number next to the class stating that its your second licence/permit.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,903 ✭✭✭✭L1011

delly wrote: »
    Same thing really. You should have the number next to the class stating that its your second licence/permit.

Its not. Second learner permit holders aren't allowed unaccompanied, second provisonals are - for a few more weeks only.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Well my other half filled in an application form for a second provisional and got a permit, so technically she got something she didn't apply for. Meh, i'll blame the government.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

delly wrote: »
    Well my other half filled in an application form for a second provisional and got a permit, so technically she got something she didn't apply for. Meh, i'll blame the government.

Well technically they could have told her to go off and fill in the new form. Just because the form was an application for X, does not mean its currently valid for X.

I filled in a form for a €5 replacement licence and got charged a tenner, they don't update stuff ;)

Actually, check the restrictions field (or whatever its called) to see if the 998 or whatever code is on it for cannot drive unaccompanied. Its possible they're basically giving the equivalent of a second provisional on learner permit stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

It's probably irrelevant but I had never been pulled over by the gardai, but I was pulled over by the gardai last night and they were pretty eager to see if I had a full or provisional license (I'm only 18) and mentioned something like " Oh you have a full license " this was around midnight, giving me a talk about no matter how empty the roads are, too just take it easy ( nice bloke.. ). Then 5 mins later I had to go through 2 checkpoints for tax / nct / insurance. The checkpoints had over 8 people at them. :confused::eek: They were out in action anyway, that's for sure!

MYOB wrote: »
    Its not. Second learner permit holders aren't allowed unaccompanied, second provisonals are - for a few more weeks only.

got this from the RSA website

google "Introduction of Learner Permit and Changes to the Driver Licensing System (Revised 29th October 2007)" and ull find it
    Summary of changes as it applies to provisional licence holders.

• A person while holding a second learner permit or second provisional licence can drive unaccompanied in the period up to 30 June 2008.

looks like some learner permits can drive

and i found this later on in the document
    Q: My first provisional licence is about to expire and I will be renewing it after the implementation date for the introduction of the learner permit; will the learner permit I receive be considered a first time learner permit?

A: No, as you already held a provisional licence you are not considered to be a first time learner permit holder.

Ah right, I must have missed that bit of the revision.

As of course originally second provisional holders lost the right within days and permit holders were never going to get it...

ya I still amnt too sure, i wouldnt like to challenge a gard if he stopped me...mite even get a print out of the rules in case..allthough thatd probably get u in more ****

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Why are people afraid to challenge the gardas?

If you know you're in the right then why be taken for an eejit?
    (moreso aimed at the comment about the tires)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

ClioV6 wrote: »
    Why are people afraid to challenge the gardas?

As I said, the punishment for talking back to a Garda is severe timewasting, legalistic nitpicking and generally being given more hassle than it's worth.

There are a ton of things that they don't bother checking or enforcing until you give them lip. Right now my NCT disc is stuck in a sunshade instead of in the window. If I yes sir/ no officer, I may drive on. Give them any lip and it could be a fine.

Even if they don't find anything, they could keep you at the roadside for quite a while if they don't like your attitude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭masterwriter

peasant wrote: »
    It will probably do you as much good as my grannies rhubarb crumble recipe if you get caught driving unaccompanied :D
    how good is that, do cops like it;)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Zube wrote: »
    Even if they don't find anything, they could keep you at the roadside for quite a while if they don't like your attitude.
    Yes, and don't forget the classic "I pay your wages!" or "I bet you're only driving on Chief's Permission".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭dugout16

Whats the penalty for being stopped and not having your licence with you?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

dugout16 wrote: »
    Whats the penalty for being stopped and not having your licence with you?

1 point

Source: http://www.penaltypoints.ie/licence_offences.php

Provisional licence holder driving without being accompanied by and under the supervision of qualified person

Penalty Points on Payment of Fixed Charge: 1

Penalty Points on Court Conviction: 3

http://www.penaltypoints.ie/licence_offences.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

Noob drivers are getting owned atm... mate of mine not even a week on his prov and he has points for no tax ( its literally in the post as we speak ) and failure to display L plates ( dropped his old fella to pick up his car)....

unlucky bugger's.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

It's 1 point. That 2 and 5 on conviction is driving without haveing a licence as opposed to having a valid licence but it just not being with you in the car,

S.I.R wrote: »
    Noob drivers are getting owned atm... mate of mine not even a week on his prov and he has points for no tax ( its literally in the post as we speak ) and failure to display L plates ( dropped his old fella to pick up his car)....

unlucky bugger's.

Tax ain't a penalty point offence

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Was driving unaccompanied today, ran into a check point, garda asked for my liecenced. didnt say anything bar "try not to drive unaccompanied over the next week" and let me off lol! sound man.

R_H_C_P wrote: »
    Was driving unaccompanied today, ran into a check point, garda asked for my liecenced. didnt say anything bar "try not to drive unaccompanied over the next week" and let me off lol! sound man.

nice:D:D..he could have been a prick

• Advertisement

Stekelly wrote: »
    It's 1 point. That 2 and 5 on conviction is driving without haveing a licence as opposed to having a valid licence but it just not being with you in the car,

Yeah re-read the offences your 100% Correct ;)

Advertisement