Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Garda crackdown for a week.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

mick_irl wrote: »
    Can they please also do something about the muppets who put L Plates up, but with the L pointing the wrong way (usually on its side)?

I mean, if they can't even get the L Plate on the right way around, how can they be trusted to drive a car?
    Agree 100% - would dearly love if said people got an instant fail when they turned up to their driving test, with the L plates on the wrong way round... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Kensington wrote: »
    Agree 100% - would dearly love if said people got an instant fail when they turned up to their driving test, with the L plates on the wrong way round... :D

Adding to the the people who cut the white border off them so they have "stealth 'L's" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭afatbollix

but usually the gardai will let you bring it into the station in the next 10 days.. also with your insurance/ tax and nct :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

peasant wrote: »
    It will probably do you as much good as my grannies rhubarb crumble recipe if you get caught driving unaccompanied :D

And all this time I thought you had a full license. Shame.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Jesus I never knew you had to drive with your licence on you. Always thought you had 10 days to produce it in a Garda station. I carry it anyway just to avoid any hassel or suspicision for driving on a learners/provisional.

Learn something new everyday.

EDIT: Wait just looked at the rules which say Failure to produce a licence, does that mean failure to produce on the spot or failure to produce within the 10 days?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Maddison

Just a quick question: I passed my DT in March, I have my certificate of competency & my prov license in the glove compartment, I still havent had the chance to get to the tax office to get new license, can I be done as a prov driver or am I fully licensed??:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Flyer1

For the love of god just send them off !

You're OK to drive on your own but you're not supposed to use motorways until you get the licence in your hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

Maddison wrote: »
    am I fully licensed??:confused:

If asked to produce a license, what are you going to have to show the nice Garda?

a) a provisional license
    b) a certificate of competency
    c) peasant's grannies rhubarb crumble recipe

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Maddison wrote: »
    Just a quick question: I passed my DT in March, I have my certificate of competency & my prov license in the glove compartment, I still havent had the chance to get to the tax office to get new license, can I be done as a prov driver or am I fully licensed??:confused:

I couldn't wait to get my licence! Dunno how you have waited that long!! Just send it off.

On the tyres etc.. Don't think they would be out checking tyre depth. They'd be concerned with blatantly bald tyres, like in any other situation where they would have to stop a car.

In fairness, everyone has had plenty of time to at least have a shot at the test now. There shouldn't be any excuses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 rob_dev

"In fairness, everyone has had plenty of time to at least have a shot at the test now. There shouldn't be any excuses"

I applied for my test about 9 months ago and still have not been called. So what does that say about the driving test system. So offically from today i can't drive unaccompanied. Public transport is a joke in my area and won't get me to work on time, as i need the car to get to work i'll have to drive until i'm stopped/arrested. Once that happens i'll lose my job, as i've no other way to work (over 100 mile round trip)
    How fair is that???
    So my only option is to drive illegally whilst still paying tax, insurance, for a fresh NCT this week and also crazy money for petrol.

Motorists, easy target all round.

• Advertisement

rob_dev wrote: »
    "In fairness, everyone has had plenty of time to at least have a shot at the test now. There shouldn't be any excuses"

I applied for my test about 9 months ago and still have not been called. So what does that say about the driving test system. So offically from today i can't drive unaccompanied. Public transport is a joke in my area and won't get me to work on time, as i need the car to get to work i'll have to drive until i'm stopped/arrested. Once that happens i'll lose my job, as i've no other way to work (over 100 mile round trip)
    How fair is that???
    So my only option is to drive illegally whilst still paying tax, insurance, for a fresh NCT this week and also crazy money for petrol.

Have you rang them to ask about your test?

Have you received a confirmation letter confirming they recevied your application?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭lynchie

How fair is that???

Did you ring them? I know of several people who didnt hear anything for months, then rang them and were told they were not on the list (computer / staff issue). They were offered a test within two weeks, I know of one person who was offered it the next day if he wanted it. Waiting times in several locations in Dublin are down to 5-6 weeks. My brother has his test on the 1st July after applying for it in May.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 rob_dev

I rang them several times and have been told that i am on their list. I have also received a letter confirming that they have received my application. I just have to play the waiting game.
    Even when i pass my test i won't be legal to drive on my own for 2 more years.
    Think it's time to get a bike and be prepared to wipe myself off the road. Only way i can keep my job.:(

I rang them several times and have been told that i am on their list. I have also received a letter confirming that they have received my application. I just have to play the waiting game.
    Think it's time to get a bike and be prepared to wipe myself off the road. Only way i can keep my job.:(
    :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,903 ✭✭✭✭L1011

This is not the case - yet - for permit holders and was never the case for provisional holders. The R-plater legislation doesn't exist yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

"Garda crackdown for a week", so why aren't they out doing this for the remaining 51 weeks of the year ?

They could do with coming out my way for a start and getting rid of all the idiots on the road on quads, scramblers, scooters and mini motorbikes :mad:.
    Had an 8 - 10 year old clown on a quad the other day fly out in front of me while driving, good job for him I've good brakes. Bet you though if I had to hit him I'd be in the wrong !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭dade

MYOB wrote: »
    This is not the case - yet - for permit holders and was never the case for provisional holders. The R-plater legislation doesn't exist yet.

really? i thought they had said this would be the case. any links to confirm this? the reason is the missus has her test coming up and is concerned that even if she passes she wont be able to drive alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

Nope, a full license is a full license from day 1, minute 1.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Jesus I never knew you had to drive with your licence on you. Always thought you had 10 days to produce it in a Garda station.

The original 1961 act specifically allowed you 10 days grace.

The 1994 act amended this to say the Guard may ask for production of a license there and then and if not produced then the driver is guilty of an offence. The amendment gives the guard the option to ask for production of a license within 10 days. In effect it seems to be at the Guards discretion.
    40.—(1) ( a ) A member of the Garda Síochána may demand, of a person driving in a public place a mechanically propelled vehicle or accompanying pursuant to regulations under this Act the holder of a provisional licence while such holder is driving in a public place a mechanically propelled vehicle, the production to him of a driving licence then having effect and licensing the said person to drive the vehicle, and if the person refuses or fails so to produce the licence there and then, he shall be guilty of an offence.

( b ) Where a person of whom the production of a driving licence is demanded under this section refuses or fails to produce the licence there and then, a member of the Garda Síochána may require the person to produce within 10 days after the date of the said requirement the licence in person to a member of the Garda Síochána at a Garda Síochána station to be named by the person at the time of the requirement and, if the person refuses or fails so to produce the licence, he shall be guilty of an offence.
    /....continues
    This was further ammended by the 2006 act to include the wording
    13.— Section 40 (inserted by section 25 of the Act of 1994) of the Principal Act is amended—

(a) in subsection (1), by substituting—
    (i) “learner permit” for “provisional licence”, and
    (ii) “production of and presentation to the member for his or her inspection” for “the production to him”,

and

(b) in subsection (1A) (inserted by section 18 of the Act of 2002) by substituting—
    (i) “learner permit” for “provisional licence”, and
    (ii) “the production of and presentation to the member for his or her inspection” for “the production to him”.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Frank the Manc

Flyer1 wrote: »
    For the love of god just send them off !

You're OK to drive on your own but you're not supposed to use motorways until you get the licence in your hand.

have you a source for this?
    i was advised by my tester that my cert was my full licence and that "some people like to apply for the licence straight away".
    I havnt applied for the licence since october, and always get the "Well i would have sent it off the very next day" from the guards.
    well im not you you <SNIP>

How fair is that???

easy, willing and compliant target is right lad, fuel demos and riots accross europe and the world, what do we do here? we buy the KY for them.
    <SNIP>

this "blitz" has <SNIP> all to do with driver safety and more to do with being seen to be doing somthing after this whole debacle.

and i know for a fact that people were passed in their droves and knwo at least 5 people that definitely should not be on the roads at all, who passed their very first time around.

its a joke, just an updated version of the amnesty form years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭blackbox

What's the story with people driving unaccompanied in a car with L plates on a motorway?

Is it an offence to have L plates up if you are NOT a learner?

blackbox wrote: »
    What's the story with people driving unaccompanied in a car with L plates on a motorway?

No. What if you and your partner share a car, or you use your parents car when one of the group is learning? Plates don't come off and on that often/easily.

I posted this in respose to an AH thread but its just as relevent here so apologies for repeating myself:
    @ L-drivers who are saying:
    "this is unacceptable"
    "this is unfair"
    "I should be allowed do what I like"
    "there's no harm in it"
    "shure its always been like this"

/facepalm.

Even as recent as 5 years ago it was socially acceptable to have a few pints after work and drive home, 10 years ago it was the norm.
    Nowadays if you even mention the concept, you are scorned and ridiculed and branded a baby killing maniac.

When it was announced that drink driving measures were to be rigidly enforced, everyone said:

"this is unacceptable"
    "this is unfair"
    "there's no harm in it"

Go back even farther to the seat belt laws, everyone said:

"this is unacceptable"
    "this is unfair"
    "there's no harm in it"

To all you guys saying that now: "get over it - it's no longer acceptable".

The excuse that "I need to drive to work, I've no other way" is cowpoo - you should have thought of that before you took a job that you could only get to by illegaly driving.

FFS, it's not as if they announced this law yesterday - anyone who hasn't bothered their hole to go pass a test deserves to be put off the road.

Hats off to those of you who actually view their learners permit as a means to learn and who actually abide by the law.

/pulls collar to let steam out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭gabgab

DarkJager wrote: »
    I know what to look for myself in the tires, but have a service done every 3 months.

If it is looked at every three months and tyres are checked you wont have a problem with a gard, legal depths are legal depths, and mechanics tend to be on the side of caution over minimum legal depth

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

I have a question about the permit.

When you get your 1st permit you have to wait 6 months min. to apply for your test. I have two months left out of the 6. Im wondering can I apply in the last month due to the waiting times? Or do I have to wait for the 6 months to be over to apply? (thus waiting god knows how long for my test)

R_H_C_P wrote: »
    I have a question about the permit.

When you get your 1st permit you have to wait 6 months min. to apply for your test. I have two months left out of the 6. Im wondering can I apply in the last month due to the waiting times? Or do I have to wait for the 6 months to be over to apply? (thus waiting god knows how long for my test)

You can apply for the test. On the day of your test you must of held the permit for at least 6 months.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

^Thanks man!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

So because of all this and the fact I'm still waiting on my driving test (been working out of the country for last few months) I decided to cycle in to work today rather than bother with driving and risk getting the 1,000 euro fine for driving without a fully blah blah driver with me.

Not a single cop on the road at all all the way in, none, nada, zilch, nowt.
    I'm betting it's going to be exactly the same when I cycle home this evening.

I don't drink, I would never drink and drive. My tax, insurance and NCT are all bang up-to-date, always obey speed limits, no penalty points at all.
    I've failed my test once due imho to the woman tester next to me not having a clue herself how to drive let alone test my driving. I've seen the exact person afterwards trying to park her car, it took her a good ten minutes just to get it in a space you could fit a bus into ffs and she failed me for stupid things like going over ramps at 20mph when I've driven over them no problem at 30mph, oh and turning left without two hands on the wheel, whatever, pfft...

Now I'm cycling in this morning and 99% of cars are driving in whatever little bit of cycle lanes there are - not a cop in site to hand out penalty points to them for that either.

Barely any cars or buses obeying speed limits on Ballymun road this morning either, some cars hitting at least 70mph down it, in the BUSLANE ! Again, not a cop in site.

This PR stunt by the guards/RSA is just that, a joke of a PR stunt.

Soon as I get my fitness up again I'll probably never bother to drive anymore. Sick of the taxes, the stupid high prices of petrol, insurance costs, so on and so forth blah blah. Would rather cycle the 7 miles in and out of work every day.

As for the guards and their pr stunt this weekend and the coming week, shut up and just do your job, the job you are being payed for with Irish taxpayers money. Get out and enforce the penalty points on drivers who drive in cycle lanes, speed etc., and arrest and charge drink drives no matter what farm they're from or whose political brother they have. Just shut it and do you job proper or get out of the force and make way for others who can and will do the job being asked of them.

I am so tempted myself to apply for a job with the Garda at this stage and I tell you one thing, if I get in I'm not bothered about promotion to drive myself upwards, I would want at LEAST 3 to 5 years on the traffic corp enforcing the rules and laws enacted and by God would I enforce them strictly.

Garda crackdown for a week my arse...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

This should be made an offence, no points or anything, but a fine. Detection of unaccompanied drivers, L drivers on motorways is made possible when people don't leave L plates on cars just because student Johnny comes home and practices twice a month.

Plates can be designed to be taken down.

• Advertisement

ardmacha wrote: »
    This should be made an offence, no points or anything, but a fine. Detection of unaccompanied drivers, L drivers on motorways is made possible when people don't leave L plates on cars just because student Johnny comes home and practices twice a month.

Plates can be designed to be taken down.

The majority of learner drivers on the motorways would not have L plates up...

And plates do not last pissing time if they're taken up and down repeatedly.

Making it a fineable offense is absolutely pointless, adds a pointless extra amount of hassle for those who share cars and would be beyond what even the worst nanny state in Europe does.

Advertisement