Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Garda crackdown for a week.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

rob_dev wrote: »
    "In fairness, everyone has had plenty of time to at least have a shot at the test now. There shouldn't be any excuses"

I applied for my test about 9 months ago and still have not been called. So what does that say about the driving test system. So offically from today i can't drive unaccompanied. Public transport is a joke in my area and won't get me to work on time, as i need the car to get to work i'll have to drive until i'm stopped/arrested. Once that happens i'll lose my job, as i've no other way to work (over 100 mile round trip)
    How fair is that???
    So my only option is to drive illegally whilst still paying tax, insurance, for a fresh NCT this week and also crazy money for petrol.

Motorists, easy target all round.

What does it matter how long the wait is or when you applied, you never should have been drivign unaccompanied in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

just passed bike cop on leeson street with ticket cool in hand and two learner drivers pulled over.

Posted via Mobile Device

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

stevec wrote: »
    I posted this in respose to an AH thread but its just as relevent here so apologies for repeating myself:

+∞

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

My sister is on her first provisional and has had, and failed a test, since learners were told about the new legislation. She had that test in April and has another in a week or so. This just shows that people have had plenty of opportunity. In fact, the second date she was given didn't suit and they moved her test forward by a couple of weeks.

By the way, she does drive alone, and she does drive too fast at times, and she probably isn't good enough to pass the test. I don't condone this. In fact, I have tried to help her improve, but she doesn't want to hear. At least I'm making her aware of the problems. This is a reason why learner drivers should be accompanied. At least with a fully licenced driver mistakes can be pointed out.

Gardai were out in force in Cork the other day, before the 'blitz'. Haven't really seen any since.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

and i know for a fact that people were passed in their droves and knwo at least 5 people that definitely should not be on the roads at all, who passed their very first time around.

its a joke, just an updated version of the amnesty form years ago.

my best friend did his test last month and passed. with 7 marks against him. the tester told him one of those marks was doing 70kmh in a 50 zone.

yet he was still passed so i'd well believe it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

miju wrote: »
    my best friend did his test last month and passed. with 7 marks against him. the tester told him one of those marks was doing 70kmh in a 50 zone.

my best friend also did his test last month and passed. with 7 marks against him. the tester told him one of those marks was for drinking a can of bulmers while driving past a school...

Your friends talking BS.

well my best friend doesn't really do the whole bull**** thing plus I saw his mark sheet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

You can have up to 8 grade 2s and all the grade 1s against you and still pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭bryanmurr

DarkJager wrote: »
    Checking tires as well?? How petty of them. I'll happily drive my car and will only change the tires if advised by a qualified mechanic...not a garda reading from his ops book..
    How petty? do you not agree it improves road safety by checking these things when there are obviously a huge amount of people that dont do routine maintainence on their cars?

S.I.R wrote: »
    Noob drivers are getting owned atm... mate of mine not even a week on his prov and he has points for no tax ( its literally in the post as we speak ) and failure to display L plates ( dropped his old fella to pick up his car)....

unlucky bugger's.

Car shouldnt be on the road with no tax and why did he not have his L plates up?

hellboy99 wrote: »
    "Garda crackdown for a week", so why aren't they out doing this for the remaining 51 weeks of the year ?QUOTE]

Theres various other operations run by the Traffic Corps during the rest of the year actually. Bus Operations, Taxi Operations, HGV Operations, Tispol, Operation Artery etc just cos ya dont see them doesnt mean they arent happening!

Nehaxak wrote: »
    As for the guards and their pr stunt this weekend and the coming week, shut up and just do your job, the job you are being payed for with Irish taxpayers money. Get out and enforce the penalty points on drivers who drive in cycle lanes, speed etc., and arrest and charge drink drives no matter what farm they're from or whose political brother they have. Just shut it and do you job proper or get out of the force and make way for others who can and will do the job being asked of them.

I am so tempted myself to apply for a job with the Garda at this stage and I tell you one thing, if I get in I'm not bothered about promotion to drive myself upwards, I would want at LEAST 3 to 5 years on the traffic corp enforcing the rules and laws enacted and by God would I enforce them strictly.

Garda crackdown for a week my arse...

dont cycle every day if thats the humour it puts you in, As for the Guards shutting up and doing their job, if there was nothing said about it people would be complaining that "we didnt know" etc etc,

Guards pay as much tax as everyone else so dont start banging on about the "taxpayers money"!

Your more than welcome to join the guards, can never have too many, let us know how you get on with the application.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

mike65 wrote: »
    de papure

Mike.

about time in my opinion ... long may it last

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭Esel

To all those learner drivers moaning about needing their car etc. - STFU and get a motorbike or even a scooter. You can't carry a passenger on a bike until you pass the test, so no worries there. Plus you will learn a lot about road safety!

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

Maddison wrote: »
    Just a quick question: I passed my DT in March, I have my certificate of competency & my prov license in the glove compartment, I still havent had the chance to get to the tax office to get new license, can I be done as a prov driver or am I fully licensed??:confused:

i'm nearly certain they can do ya as havin a prov, i know its stupid but i think thats the way it is

esel wrote: »
    Plus you will learn a lot about road safety!

Amen to that. I've said it before and I'll say it again I think everyone should be made start out on a moped to give them a REAL appreciation for other road users and sense of awareness of thigns around them.

Two years on a moped for me made me a much safer , considerate and generally aware car driver IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

well my best friend doesn't really do the whole bull**** thing plus I saw his mark sheet.

How? The tester keeps it...

Maybe he only keeps it when you fail or something. I was given mine , so was my missus and so was my buddy. All woulda been done in Raheny mind you

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

testicle wrote: »
    How? The tester keeps it...
    Erm...no they don't?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

bryanmurr wrote: »
    dont cycle every day if thats the humour it puts you in, As for the Guards shutting up and doing their job, if there was nothing said about it people would be complaining that "we didnt know" etc etc,

Guards pay as much tax as everyone else so dont start banging on about the "taxpayers money"!

Your more than welcome to join the guards, can never have too many, let us know how you get on with the application.

I have NO choice but to cycle, drive or walk the 7 miles or so to and from work each day because there is NO bus service where I live in Ballymun that does not have 1) Full buses, 2) half the bus upstairs smoking hash and most downstairs smoking normal, including the drivers ffs, 3) Buses that come on time or at least within 2 hours of you waiting at the bus stop and 4) where I work requires 3 busses to be got, one into town from ballymun, one from O'connel street and another to the final destination. I would rather hop on one leg to and from work than get on those stinking busses an have to put up with all that day in day out, not to mention the 50% chance on each bus that a fight of some sort breaks out. Yeah really, we're not all from the sunny southside with the lovely luas laid outside our doors for us.

The problem with the guards and their enforcment of traffic laws is mostly just down to pure laziness, they think of their job as nothing more than a 9 to 5 civil service promotional opportunity and have little or no actual committment to the job as a service for the citizens of the country itself.

How about for once, just once, the government think about ploughing money into proper, safe cycle lanes on all roads leading into the city from heavily populated area's within and around it. More people would cycle to and from work, even in crappy weather, if there were proper and safe cycle lanes in all the cities, not just Dublin either.

All this just reminds me how much I actually hate this country.

Roll on Australia......

Oh and yeah, I'd love to get a moped but it would last about 20 minutes at most after I parked it outside the flats here, so whatever...

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Nehaxak wrote: »

Roll on Australia......

Bye

G'day...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

janeybabe wrote: »
    My sister is on her first provisional and has had, and failed a test, since learners were told about the new legislation. She had that test in April and has another in a week or so. This just shows that people have had plenty of opportunity. In fact, the second date she was given didn't suit and they moved her test forward by a couple of weeks.

By the way, she does drive alone, and she does drive too fast at times, and she probably isn't good enough to pass the test. I don't condone this. In fact, I have tried to help her improve, but she doesn't want to hear. At least I'm making her aware of the problems. This is a reason why learner drivers should be accompanied. At least with a fully licenced driver mistakes can be pointed out.

Gardai were out in force in Cork the other day, before the 'blitz'. Haven't really seen any since.

My friend was given a 6 month old Golf after one lesson, but I sat in with him and bitched at him for about 2 months and he improved massively. I did the whole instructor thing of "check your mirrors", "indicate to fuck will ya.....waaay too late!!", "change down a gear", "check your mirrors", "watch your speed", "check your mirrors", "indicate!!!", "down a gear", "c'mon...reverse in...you'll have to learn sometime" (incidentally he never got into the habit of driving straight into parking spaces thankfully), "check your mirrors".

By lesson 3 his instructor was very impressed:D:D, and he passed first time at a proper test centre not one of the mickey mouse NCTS ones.

He passed jis test within 3 months of starting to drive....and within 5 weeks of applying for it. There really is no excuse for driving a car unaccompanied on anything other than a full driving licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

ninty9er wrote: »
    My friend was given a 6 month old Golf after one lesson, but I sat in with him and bitched at him for about 2 months and he improved massively. I did the whole instructor thing of "check your mirrors", "indicate to fuck will ya.....waaay too late!!", "change down a gear", "check your mirrors", "watch your speed", "check your mirrors", "indicate!!!", "down a gear", "c'mon...reverse in...you'll have to learn sometime" (incidentally he never got into the habit of driving straight into parking spaces thankfully), "check your mirrors".

By lesson 3 his instructor was very impressed:D:D, and he passed first time at a proper test centre not one of the mickey mouse NCTS ones.

He passed jis test within 3 months of starting to drive....and within 5 weeks of applying for it. There really is no excuse for driving a car unaccompanied on anything other than a full driving licence.

Maybe I'll try that with my sister. But as my dad says, 'the biotch wont listen to us!'

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Well so far I haven't run into a single checkpoint myself this weekend - In my case though I've a full license and the discs are all up to date but with all the hype I'd have expected to see at least one checkpoint

• Registered Users Posts: 68,903 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I've racked up 450 miles and not seen a checkpoint... full licence, everything grand also, so not as if they've missed me doing something, but still...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

I've been spinning round all weekend and haven't seen one checkpoint nor a garda car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭masterwriter

Met a traffic corp car once but no checkpoints

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭positron

There was a garda checkpoint this evening, just outside Ballbriggan, towards Swords.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I've done the guts of 500km this weekend (since Saturday morning):

Limerick to Galway
    Galway to Carlow
    Carlow to Tullamore
    Tullamore to Limerick

Main roads, secondary roads, lots of large towns - Along with the ones mentioned, I've been through Ennis, Gort, Loughrea, Ballinasloe, Portlaoise, Birr, Nenagh.

Not. One. Single. Cop.

Were they shooting fish-in-a-barrel from overpasses on dual carriageways around Dublin?

Not trying to be funny, but for such a hyped campaign its bizarre that I didn't see a single squadcar or checkpoint in 500km.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭masterwriter

my best friend also did his test last month and passed. with 7 marks against him. the tester told him one of those marks was for drinking a can of bulmers while driving past a school....
    But it was on a Saturday....;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Came across two checkpoints today. One in Rathfarnham and one on the main road heading out of Wicklow town.

Advertisement