Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Garda crackdown for a week.

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,903 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Mr E wrote: »
    Were they shooting fish-in-a-barrel from overpasses on dual carriageways around Dublin?

Doubt it, I did (nearly) the entire length of the M1 in both directions, M50, N4, etc and haven't seen anything. Covering daytime and night time.

Also didn't see a single PSNI check in the north - wait, thats entirely normal :D

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

OK, so why didn't they call it "Operation Safeguard Dublin and Surrounding Areas"?

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭bryanmurr

Nehaxak wrote: »

The problem with the guards and their enforcment of traffic laws is mostly just down to pure laziness, they think of their job as nothing more than a 9 to 5 civil service promotional opportunity and have little or no actual committment to the job as a service for the citizens of the country itself.

QUOTE]

what leads you to believe this? and trust me its not quiet 9 to 5 as you seem to think

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Spent most of the weekends on the roads and didnt meet a single check point.

Meet two squad cars and an un marked car in Blackrock, Co. Louth Sat evening going vey slow, looked like they where after someone.

Apart from that nothing!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Met two checkpoints this morning in Dublin, Drumcondra and North Strand

And met two Traffic Corps jeeps which had pulled people over between this.

4 seperate teams: that's some serious enforcement within maybe 2km. Good work!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

was in a taxi in Monaghan at the weekend and saw a checkpoint outside Monaghan town, the gardai were in an un marked skoda octavia, that's a new one for them is it not?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Yeah didn't see any checkpoints myself but i got lasered doing 135 in a 100...pretty sneaky..... Unfortunatly all the cop could do was bang the side of his gun and wonder why he couldn't get a reading from my car :D

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Hit one on Saturday going into town and a second on the way back out of town.

On the way in I was driving behind a woman with a L plate up and a baby in the passenger seat (in a proper harness I assume). She was spending more time looking at the baby and swerving all over the place than focussing on the road. I was a bit peeved when the Garda just waved her on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Saw nothing driving around the Tallaght/Firhouse area over the weekend. There was a prime candidate to be pulled on the Cookstown road on Sunday morning, no L plates but she was about 70 had at least four pairs of huge furry dice hanging off the rearview mirror, two unrestrained kids bouncing around the back, she was swerving all over the shop from nearly hitting the kerb a couple of times to being halfway in the opposite lane.

All this is an ancient Micra with a Jesus fish on the back of course :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭WHITE_P

All this is an ancient Micra with a Jesus fish on the back of course :rolleyes:

LOL

But sure she had the Lord right there in the car with her, didn't ya know.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭gaz d

have seen numerous checkpoints around!
    doesnt affect me as im doing the test on wednesday and im not buying a car unless i pass!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

patrickc wrote: »
    was in a taxi in Monaghan at the weekend and saw a checkpoint outside Monaghan town, the gardai were in an un marked skoda octavia, that's a new one for them is it not?

Yeah they have a Grey Skoda Octavia alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

ClioV6 wrote: »
    Erm...no they don't?

Hmm, back in my day, I never got it...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I'm just back from a week in West Cork where I did over 1200km. I came across a speed trap near Rathcoole on the N7 and that was it. Don't recall seeing any unmarked cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Did around 400 miles over the last week and saw nothing but one speed trap in Leixlip.

Only a few days till the new regulations are 'enforced'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

kbannon wrote: »
    Don't recall seeing any unmarked cars.

Isn't that the whole point ? :pac:

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

HungryJoey wrote: »
    Isn't that the whole point ? :pac:
    They are generally unmarked (i.e. no Garda markings) but they generally are distinctive (aerials, strobes on front wing, etc.).

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭masseyno9

Passed a checkpoint in firhouse last night, then a car pulled in just up the road from it. Strangely I was just waved through. I'm a 21yo male and had L plates up. I actually have a full license, but was driving my cousin's car while mine is getting repaired and never bothered taking the plates down. Slightly surprised as i thought I looked like a prime target for this campaign.

Also drove in front of a squad car during the week and while they had a look at me, didn't stop me. Same car, L plates and on my own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

masseyno9 wrote: »
    Passed a checkpoint in firhouse last night, then a car pulled in just up the road from it. Strangely I was just waved through. I'm a 21yo male and had L plates up. I actually have a full license, but was driving my cousin's car while mine is getting repaired and never bothered taking the plates down. Slightly surprised as i thought I looked like a prime target for this campaign.

Also drove in front of a squad car during the week and while they had a look at me, didn't stop me. Same car, L plates and on my own.

You must have had that aura of confidence radiating off ya so :)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,903 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Have now definitely done over 1000 miles since the 'crackdown' started (as in I've done 1000 in my own car, didn't keep track of the few times I drove the parents or a colleagues) and I've seen no checkpoints. Anywhere. Two guards walking down the hard shoulder of the N7 from their bikes, but thats not a checkpoint.

• Advertisement
Advertisement