Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Failing Ordinary Irish?

Options
  • 12-06-2008 10:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭

So I'm getting on grand right now, on course for 500+ for Civil Engineering next year - just I'm a bit iffy on my Ordinary Irish score, It's possible I may have failed it!

Are there any tests they give you to accept you? Or is a D3 in Ordinary Irish (If you got say, an E) really that important to deny someone with 500 points?

Entry Requirementstop.gif
    Applicants are required to hold at the time of enrolment the established leaving certificate (or an approved equivalent) with at least Grade C3 in two higher level subjects and a Grade D3 in four ordinary or higher level subjects (including Mathematics; Irish or another language and English). In addition applicants are required to hold at least the following in the leaving Certificate (or approved equivalent) Grade C3 in higher level mathematics and a Grade D3 in a higher or ordinary level paper in any one of the following: Physics, Chemistry, Physics with Chemistry, Engineering, Technical Drawing, Biology, Agricultural Science, Construction Studies, Technology or Applied Mathematics.

So . . . I don't have any other language - but with specific requirements like that, and given that they only want a D3 (unlike the B3 some other colleges want from OL subjects) - Is it really worthy to stop me getting the course?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭louis626

to be honest i dont know but i can only imagine that if there are too many applicants, you may miss out but if they dont have the numbers they would give it to you. They have to have someway of choosing between people so this may be the only way.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭bluedolphin

Afaik, they are the minimum entry requirements and if you don't meet them you won't be offered a place regardless of the points. Maybe give the Admissions Office a buzz to double check. Their contact details are here. You never know though, you may have passed! Good luck! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

If you don't meet the requirements, they won't offer you a place I'm afraid. Thats how so courses end up with just one or two people. They don't just fill them up regardless.

If your on course to get 500+ surely you passed ordinary Irish though??? I wouldn't be so pessimistic....

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭louis626

yeah im sure u probably passed it. dont worry about it...its over anyway. ye thats probably true..i suppose there called minimum requirements for a reason.

Advertisement