Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell Dimension 9200 - Video card

Options
  • 12-06-2008 10:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,
    I have a Dell Dimension 9200 (it's about a year old) which came with an nVidia 7900GS video card which I'd like to upgrade. Its gaming performance is reasonable , but it has no HDCP chip so I can't play any HD videos on it. (I've just bought an HD-DVD/BD/DVD combo drive and a sh!tload of cheap HD-DVDS I want to look at :))

That said, I'm in the market for a new card, preferably nVidia. Any recommendations out there (bearing in mind it's got a 375w power supply, which I guess is relatively modest these days, and that upgrading the PSU isn't such a piece of cake on Dells)? Google yielded a suggestion of an 8800GTX but I'm always keen to hear of anyone's actual real world experiences, good or bad.

Cheers!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Eamonn Brophy

You can't really go wrong with an 8800 they're true monsters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

What size monitor? If it's 17 or 19", this is an excellent card that performs almost the same as it's bigger brother (8800GT) at lower resolutions....twice as fast as the 7900GS.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

I've an 8800GTX in my XPS420 powered by the standard Dell 375watt psu. Dell psu's have a much higher "real world" power rating. It's the perfect card,tbh, and i'm running a 47" full res 1920x1080P tv off it without any issues :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Thanks for the responses so far. The monitor is a 22" widescreen (E2288WFP iirc, it's at home so can't confirm the exact model right now) with a native res of 1680*1050.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

The Dell 9200 + XPS420 are basically the same system...same psu too (although there's an optional higher wattage psu available for the XPS too). I'm so confident in the power of the 375watt psu that i'm going to be running an 8800 Ultra off it soon:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Either go with the 8800GS Terror suggested or wait 2 weeks and get Ati's new HD4850 , which is suppose to be very quick and has all those hd features

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Thanks for all your advice. I'll wait a week or two and see what the prices are like in the 8800 range when the next gen of cards comes out. I'm glad to know that my PC's PSU will run one of them :) I'm not too bothered about being at the cutting edge of the speed front; I'm happy enough to use now what was cutting edge 6 months ago (and not have to pay the premium for it!)

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭uglyjohn

Nforce wrote: »
    I've an 8800GTX in my XPS420 powered by the standard Dell 375watt psu. Dell psu's have a much higher "real world" power rating. It's the perfect card,tbh, and i'm running a 47" full res 1920x1080P tv off it without any issues :)

What!! a 8800GTX! i knew the dell PSUs were better than expected but i didnt think they were that good! thats why i went for a 3850, thought it or a 3870 was as high as i could go with the psu...and cuz im cheap.

OP i think you're right to wait a few weeks. even if you arent buying a new card when they come out the older ones will be cheaper (you could prob make a killing on adverts from all the ppl upgrading).

and as someone who upgraded a dell 9150 by adding a graphics card let me just say you will be amazed at the difference it will make.

Advertisement