Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 day break in Athy

Options
  • 12-06-2008 10:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭

Booked into the hotel Carlton Abbey hotel for 3 days in August. Anyone got any suggestions for things to do!! Any good pubs or restaurants I should check out???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭niamherz88

Im from the town and to be perfectly honest there isnt a whoe lot to do in it. Clancys bar have live music on a thursday night which is usually packed out they aso have a beer garden which is good if the weather is fine. There is a nice walk down what the locals call he barrow trek. Its located just to the back of the courthouse at the back of the main town square. Also in the town square is the local heritage centre which might also be of sone interest. You could also travel to Carlow where there is far more to see and do, its about a fifteen min drive. Theres plenty of shops, restaurants and recreational activities on offer there.

Also I used to work in that particular hotel and have to say its quiet nice. Check out the leisure centre and Abbey Bar. Sometimes theres special events on like trad music etc. Just ask at reception when you arrive.

Enjoy your stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

Libby029 wrote: »
    Booked into the hotel Carlton Abbey hotel for 3 days in August. Anyone got any suggestions for things to do!! Any good pubs or restaurants I should check out???

La Scala is a nice Italian restaurant. For chinese food I'd suggest Joe's or The Royal Garden and for a continental meal I'd suggest the Athy Golf Club out the Kildare Road, really nice food and a great variety in the menu. Clancy's bar is a must, especially with the new back bar opened and probably the best beer garden in town. Frank O'Briens is one of the only Pub/Grocers left in Ireland, worth a visit and Frank himself will oblige you with a lot of the towns history on request!

For a more lively night, you have Andersons, the Emigrant (usually a band on Friday night) and The C.I Bar.

During the day I'd go with the above post and visit Carlow, good shopping centre and plenty of things to do. For relaxing I'd advise checking out Vicarstown, a nice canal drive (be warned roads are very narrow!), and plenty of walking areas.
    Also, Mullacreenan woods out the Castledermot road if that interests you. And a must is a hidden treasure is the Killalu (not sure how its spelt) lakes. About 5 minutes from the town and a great area for relaxing, I don't think many Athy people even know about it!

For activities, you have the Cardenton Par 3 Golf Course out the Portlaoise road which rents out golf clubs if needed.

Can't think of much else! Enjoy the stay... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

If you have transport, castlecomer is 20 minutes away for walks in the old coal mines estate.

I second food in golf club + lunches in gargoyles on the canal bridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭CLADA

All of the above are spot on especially Clancys and Frank O Briens. As Steveire said Frank is a mine of information on the town and a gent.
    What a man for 92 years of age.

Advertisement