Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Blacked out parts of number plates

Options
  • 12-06-2008 10:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭

I have always hated this, ever since i got my first car in 98. I hated driving around and seeing other drivers with the D (Dublin) coloured in black as if it will stop speed camera's or something.

So anyway Roll on to this year. I got a Renault Scenic the year before but rarely drove it as i had a company car. Now i changed jobs so i drive it a lot. Anyway the NCT was due so when booking it i looked out my front window to get my reg (still can not remember it :D) and i notice for the first time that the D on my reg is black in the middle?

So i go examine it and i always thought it was just a black marker but i noticed that mine was the same paint job as the D meaning it was manufactured that way.

Anyone else get a number plate like this?
    Anyway since i did not know what the NCT test would think i scraped it out so there is no black in the middle of the D.

The other day i saw a Garda car (normal marked traffic corps one) with the D black on the front.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,902 ✭✭✭✭L1011

It wasn't manufactured that way, the white bit is stuck over the black, and fell off. Basically you have metal (or plastic but these are usually made differently) plate, with a black layer and a white layer on top of it, holes are cut in the white layer to show the black layer. "islands" like the centre of the D can fall off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭WHITE_P

If it is the pressed steel type plate, it's not that it was made that way, the white reflective paint in the centre of the D has come away (typically happens if the car is regularly washed with a power washer).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Never knew that... i always thought the writing was painted on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

I'm sorry but LMAO at that

Advertisement