Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bike Test on Vespa

• 12-06-2008 10:51am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I''ve got my test coming up in a couple of weeks. Last I heard you could do it on Vespa with clutch and gears. I've got a PX 200.

I also heard lately that your bike has to be able to do 100km to sit your test on, ehhh no chance.....is that true?

Has anyone done their test on a Vespa lately? Any advice would be great appreciated. I'm talking about the A license.

Cheers...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭gabgab

Its 200 cc?? It has to be able to do 60mph

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭colm_c

100km?

Never heard that before, besides aren't all tests in city/towns? Unless you're going into a 100km zone then I wouldn't think it should be a problem.

You can also hire a bike for the test, most of the pretest instructors have hire bikes for your test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭colm_c

I thought the top speed on PX 200 was around 70mph?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭Whyner

My speedometer is broken but I doubt it could reach 60mph without blowing up.

I've never been on any other type of bike so would prefer to do it on my Vespa. I'm pretty sure you can, but would just like to hear from some people who have been in my position.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

You will be penalised if the tester feels you are not going fast enough. Ive seen people failed for that, but it was within a town at the lower speed limits.

Apart from the bike itself, a speedo is a legal requirement, and how are you going to gauge your speed accurately enough for a test?

• Advertisement

Oryx wrote: »
    You will be penalised if the tester feels you are not going fast enough. Ive seen people failed for that, but it was within a town at the lower speed limits.

Apart from the bike itself, a speedo is a legal requirement, and how are you going to gauge your speed accurately enough for a test?

I know, the speedometer will be fixed by then. No worries there. Let's forget about the ability to do 100kph.

Has anyone done their test on a Vespa recently?

colm_c wrote: »
    100km?

Never heard that before, besides aren't all tests in city/towns? Unless you're going into a 100km zone then I wouldn't think it should be a problem.

You can also hire a bike for the test, most of the pretest instructors have hire bikes for your test.

I checked the letter last night and it reads that the bike must be designed with a maximum speed of at least 100kph, something like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

My PX200 goes off the clock, which is 120kph.

Your PX200 should top 100kph easily if this was an issue on the test.

If your not getting 100kph from your Vespa you've got yourself a sick scooter.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭RebelRebel

I checked somthing like this out with the MSA Ireland a while back and they advised the following:

"Pass on an automatic scooter and your licence will be restricted to automatic machines only,
    The PX200 being geared does qualify for a motorcycle – Group A"

But I didn't ask about the 100km. Having said that I have an LML125 and can get 100km out of it so a PX200 should do it no problem.

Let us know how you get on in the test. I'm looking to upgrade from my 125cc to a PX 200 in order to do the test and try get a full license so I would be interesed to hear how you get on with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 92 ✭✭jackhammer

The criteria for licences are as follows. No mention of 100 km/h.

A Motorcycles with or without sidecar
    A1 Motorcycles with an engine size of 51-125cc and/or a speed capability of over 45km/h, and with a power rating not exceeding 11 kW, and with or without sidecar
    M Two-wheeled vehicles with an engine size not exceeding 50 cc and/or a speed capability not more than 45 km/h

Also, when doing your test for the A licence, your bike must be restricted to a power of less than or equal to 25kW (roughly 33bhp).

So you should be ok.

Best of luck with the test.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

jackhammer wrote: »
    The criteria for licences are as follows. No mention of 100 km/h.

A Motorcycles with or without sidecar
    A1 Motorcycles with an engine size of 51-125cc and/or a speed capability of over 45km/h, and with a power rating not exceeding 11 kW, and with or without sidecar
    M Two-wheeled vehicles with an engine size not exceeding 50 cc and/or a speed capability not more than 45 km/h

Also, when doing your test for the A licence, your bike must be restricted to a power of less than or equal to 25kW (roughly 33bhp).

So you should be ok.

Best of luck with the test.
    The criteria for licences are not neccessarilly the same as the criteria for tests. Bikes must conform to certain minimum standards for each category-the rules were changes a couple of years back to make indicators compulsory, for example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,790 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

my wife did her test on a PX200 a few years ago, no problem - the tester did ask, though, 'if it was a moped or a motorbike' .

Once he was shown it had gears and a clutch, no problem.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,454 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

murphaph wrote: »
    The criteria for licences are not neccessarilly the same as the criteria for tests. Bikes must conform to certain minimum standards for each category-the rules were changes a couple of years back to make indicators compulsory, for example.

Yep - a vehicle used on test must be 'representative of its class' so being over 125cc isn't enough on its own for the Class A test.
    SCHEDULE 7

Minimum vehicle requirements for the purposes of the practical driving test where the test vehicle was first registered on or after 1 January 2004.

Vehicles in Category A

Motorcycle without sidecar with an engine capacity greater than 125 cc and capable of a speed of at least 100 km/h.

The Vespa should be fine though.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭RebelRebel

Whyner wrote: »
    Hi,

I''ve got my test coming up in a couple of weeks. Last I heard you could do it on Vespa with clutch and gears. I've got a PX 200.

I also heard lately that your bike has to be able to do 100km to sit your test on, ehhh no chance.....is that true?

Has anyone done their test on a Vespa lately? Any advice would be great appreciated. I'm talking about the A license.

Cheers...

Did you do the test - how did you get on with it? Did they say anything about doing it on a vespa? And where did you do it?

Made a mistake, not till next Tuesday. Will let you know.

My Vespa is 100% fine to do the test on. Instructor comfirmed.

My test is in Tallaght.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 badly

I did a pre test on a Vespa et2 before my test was schedualed and the instructor told me I could apply for an A1 licence on the day as even though the bike had no gears and was only a 50cc it still met the criteria. I never actually did the test in the end so I don't know how true this was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Ronan3345

jackhammer wrote: »

Thats got me thinkin...Does anyone know if it's ok to do your test on a Bros 400? I'm sure it puts out no more than 33hp but whats the official power rating?

Advertisement