Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Night out in Waterford City

• 12-06-2008 11:01am
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks, so me and some of my friends are decending upon your fine city next weekend for a 30th Birthday weekend... Any advice on good places to go/avoid like the plague. ie pubs, restaurants and clubs.. Also they've booked the Travelodge for the weekend.. is that central or are we looking at getting taxies into the nightlife??

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 clara98

Hey, yeh there are a good few nice pubs around the town but all really depends on what kind of music ye are into.. live bands, indie, dance/pop, or classic oldies. The travellodge isn't too far from town, it's prob be about a ten minute walk (if even that), but if you didn't feel up for the walk into town there are a lot of buses that pass by often so you could just jump on one of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Yeah, the Travelodge is about 10 minutes on foot from the nightlife area around John St. You'll only need a taxi if it's raining. You've also an Eddie Rocket's and a Maccy-D's next door there for grub if you want convenience, but to be honest, there are plenty of better places and more atmosphere in town.

All the nightlife is pretty much concentrated on John St and Manor St (as are all the kebab-type places), so just wander up and see what you find. Personally I'd always go with Geoff's, the Woodman, the Kazbar or Revolution. Mason's I think has a younger crowd. Ruby's and Oxygen are the big nightclubs, but I prefer Harvey's as a late bar (you'll pass it on the way into town).

Enjoy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,574 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

If you are staying in The Travelodge, then The Yellow House is a great place to start your evening, its just up the road from the Travelodge and you can get a taxi from there into town.

The city centre is pretty crap IMO for nightlife. Geoffs is a good pub and Ruby's Lounge does some good bands and stuff. Best pub in the town is Downses though.

Late night options are Ruby's/****** - bog standard nightclubs and pretty crap IMO. Harveys is a decent enough late bar as is Electric Avenue.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Thanks guys :), I'd say we'll be looking something dancy in the way of a club might try this Geoffs place to start.. I'll google the places mentioned.. Cheers :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

Depending on how "dancy" dancy means there is a night in the loft which is about 3 doors down from geoffs

Phil Weeks
    Date: 14-Jun-2008 11:00
    Venue: Loft

Event Details: RE:PUBLIK PRESENT PHIL WEEKS @ THE LOFT (June 14th) Back in the Dec 2006, the French man made his Irish debut for Re:Publik. And for those in attendance, experienced one seriously funky disco filled house sets thats was ever heard in TEN. Now he makes his long awaited return but this time he stops off at "The Loft". The venue itself seems to have become a bit of a talking point amongst past guests who have graced the decks up there. JT Donaldson even said that his set a couple of weeks back was better than his set the week previous in UK club FABRIC. Phil Weeks plays The Loft, Electric Avenue, Waterford on Saturday June 14th with support from Ray C & Paul Bryan. Doors open at 11pm & admission is 12 euro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Woodgate

KevIRL wrote: »
    If you are staying in The Travelodge, then The Yellow House is a great place to start your evening, its just up the road from the Travelodge
    :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Woodgate wrote: »

Problem?

Woodgate wrote: »
    Sully wrote: »
    Problem?

Well now in fairness Sully, I didn't want to raise that comment about the Yellow House since I don't know if its reputation is fully deserved. Maybe it has cleaned up its act.

But now, since Woodgate has rolled his or her eyes at us, let me join in in doing so, since I have a problem with people providing misleading or malicious advice to people who come on this forum expecting sensible and trustworthy responses to their queries.

OP: I don't think the Yellow House is what you're looking for. It's a perfectly good local I'm sure, but probably wouldn't normally be recommended to visitors from outside the Waterford area. It's also in the wrong direction if you're planning on stopping in on your way to the city centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭ec18

fricatus wrote: »

OP: I don't think the Yellow House is what you're looking for. It's a perfectly good local I'm sure, but probably wouldn't normally be recommended to visitors from outside the Waterford area. It's also in the wrong direction if you're planning on stopping in on your way to the city centre.
    It's not just people outside waterford have to worry. I was walking past there a few weeks and the guys started shouting "Come here and we hit ya". I wouldn't go near the place. But Downses's is a good place it's just a good bit out of the way.

Since you are looking for dancy stuff I'd recommend the Loft. As rubys and ****** play chart stuff. Or the forum if you'd prefer some indie stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭shapez

Hi OP.

If I were you I would shop around on John St. You have a lot of pubs within stone throw distance of each other. You could just go in for a quick drink and check it out. If you really want to go clubbing, Rubys is probably your best bet. If you are looking for a late bar. Definitely Harveys. I end up there alot and it has all ages in it. Plus if you've got smokers in your group this is a good spot for them.

For food, depends on what you want to eat. It's it's Italian, although I would recommend Emilianos (bit of a walk) Espresso is also close to everything.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Well now in fairness Sully, I didn't want to raise that comment about the Yellow House since I don't know if its reputation is fully deserved. Maybe it has cleaned up its act.

But now, since Woodgate has rolled his or her eyes at us, let me join in in doing so, since I have a problem with people providing misleading or malicious advice to people who come on this forum expecting sensible and trustworthy responses to their queries.

I didnt say anything either, I assumed it had cleaned up its act. Feel free to point the person in the right direction, but leaving it at just a rolleyes doesnt benefit anyone :p

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

The Yellow House certainly would be the first place I'd recommend an out of towner to go to, its more of a local surely?

ec18 wrote: »
    But Downses's is a good place it's just a good bit out of the way.

Agreed, but if this is a two-night sort of thing for the OP, Downes's would be a great place for the quieter of the two nights, be it the Friday when everyone arrives down and they just want a couple of pints before bed, or else the Saturday when they can't cope with a session like the one the night before :D

Downse's is a right laugh. I have to thank Fajitas! for introducing the place to me :p

Cheers for all the replys :D looking forward to heading down, sounds like good oul craic..

xzanti wrote: »
    Cheers for all the replys :D looking forward to heading down, sounds like good oul craic..

Make sure you come back and let us know how you got on!

Oh I will don't worry :)

Hi, weekend went well, Travelodge was very basic but grand all the same, went to the Kazbar for lunch and a few drinks then back out that night to a club, unfortunately I can't for the life of me remember the name of it, but it had a huuuuge beer garden.. All in all was a good weekend, I might even go down again some time :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Glad to hear you enjoyed it. Don't be a stranger:)

xzanti wrote: »
    ...then back out that night to a club, unfortunately I can't for the life of me remember the name of it, but it had a huuuuge beer garden.

Must have been Harvey's...

Anyway, glad you enjoyed it!

• Advertisement

Must have been Harvey's...

Anyway, glad you enjoyed it!

That was the place :D

Advertisement