Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tractor Lawnmower & Agricultural Diesel

Options
  • 12-06-2008 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭

Hi All,

I just bought a second hand tractor lawnmower that runs on diesel. I need to do quite a bit of repair work on it but my question is: Would it be illegal to run this on agricultural diesel? If not does anyone know of any filling stations that sell agri diesel. I'd appreciate some help

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

No, it's perfectly legal, you're not using the road, so you're not subject to the rules of the road. Technically if you were to start using it on the road, you'd have to VRT it, which would probably come under the agricultural category anyway, so either way you're grand. Anyway, customs probably won't put a checkpoint on your lawn to dip you!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

ask your nearest local farmer where he gets his. Lots of small petrol stations in rural areas have an Agri-diesel pump.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Biro wrote: »
    Anyway, customs probably won't put a checkpoint on your lawn to dip you!

lol :D

Of course it's legal. As said, many stations have a pump for green diesel. It’s often locked though so you have to go inside and talk to the staff first and explain what’s it’s for. It’s no big deal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

Hi All,

I just bought a second hand tractor lawnmower that runs on diesel. I need to do quite a bit of repair work on it but my question is: Would it be illegal to run this on agricultural diesel? If not does anyone know of any filling stations that sell agri diesel. I'd appreciate some help

yes loads , don't know where you are ,

you are looking for 'marked gas oil'

ask some of the attendandts for agri diesel & they wouldn't have a clue what you are looking for

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Just make sure that the engine is suited to agri diesel - it should be. Other than that there should be no problem.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Lawnmowers, Mobile Cranes, tractors and JCBs are all classified as "work vehicles" and can get away with using green diesel. I often wonder could articulated truck drivers try to claim the same tax exemptions :confused:.

I often wonder could articulated truck drivers try to claim the same tax exemptions :confused:.

No chance would they be allowed use green diesel.
    But they claim back the VAT they pay on standard diesel so that's a nice saving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

micmclo wrote: »
    No chance would they be allowed use green diesel.
    But they claim back the VAT they pay on standard diesel so that's a nice saving.
    Not just them, infact it is a nice perk for anyone who has a VAT registered business and also has a family car.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

micmclo wrote: »

But they've always claimed back the VAT. With the way diesel price are going, any haulier must be really feeling a pinch.

crosstownk wrote: »
    But they've always claimed back the VAT. With the way diesel price are going, any haulier must be really feeling a pinch.

Oh I fully agree. The hauliers and fishermen are having a tough time and many will go to the wall :(
    I was responding to a question on tax exemptions

• Advertisement
Advertisement