Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Would this annoy you?

Options
  • 12-06-2008 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭

I parked in the Tesco car-park this morning. I was only in there about 5 minutes, but as I was coming back, I saw a guy looking at my car. I saw him before he noticed me, so I approached slowly to see what exactly he was at. He was definitely looking at my car; he was standing about 3/4 feet away and studying it. He didn't physically touch it. I saw him looking at the driver's side first, and then he walked around to the passenger's side.

He then saw me walking towards the car, and walked away sheepishly. Thought it was a bit weird.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

TBH, no. I had a good look at (and into) a Volvo V50 parked on the road yesterday, i'm thinking of buying one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Judgement call, if it was some knacker yes, but if he looked legit no. I will sometimes take a closed look at a car that interest me in some way, but am aware that it can look suspicious. Having said that, and no-offence intended but if you own a crap car then YES I would view it as suspicious!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

I've come out of a shop and saw a young girl trying to put a key into the door lock on my car, I immediately thought a bunch of little scumbags had found keys for a car and were trying every car in the carpark. I stood back for a few seconds to see what she'd try next but she persisted with the key at my door. I pressed the panic button on my alarm to scare the bejaysus out of her and shouted at her what the **** was she doing. She said she thaught it was her dads car and to be fair, she was either a fantastic actor or genuinely believed it was her dads car because she was terrified. She then proceded to go over to another car, similar colour but different make and model and sure enough, key in, door open and she hopped in.
    I guess the moral of the story is that sometimes there's innocent explainations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Clare_Guy

I often check out cars that interest me (even ones that others mightn't find interesting) and if i was "caught" by the owner i'd be embarrassed and walk away "sheepishly".

I'd be a help if you told us what kind of car make/model/year?...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

alias no.9 wrote: »
    I've come out of a shop and saw a young girl trying to put a key into the door lock on my car, I immediately thought a bunch of little scumbags had found keys for a car and were trying every car in the carpark. I stood back for a few seconds to see what she'd try next but she persisted with the key at my door. I pressed the panic button on my alarm to scare the bejaysus out of her and shouted at her what the **** was she doing. She said she thaught it was her dads car and to be fair, she was either a fantastic actor or genuinely believed it was her dads car because she was terrified. She then proceded to go over to another car, similar colour but different make and model and sure enough, key in, door open and she hopped in.
    I guess the moral of the story is that sometimes there's innocent explainations.

I’ve done this. :o

Came out of work and tried to use my key to open the door to a car. But it wasn’t the correct car, same colour and model and parked in a nearby area but it belonged to someone else. It does happen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

E46- 320 coupe. Completely standard, no 'for sale' sign, no mods, or tinted windows, which make it stand out.

To be perfectly honest, (and no offence intended here), he looked a bit dodgey. Mid 20s, dressed as construction worker, and I saw him getting into his own car- a 93 VW golf- which was parked a couple of spaces away.

If he was genuinely admiring the car, I'd actually be a bit surprised, even flattered- I mean it's not a 911.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

back in the days of people not locking their cars when they were just running into the shop my dad and a friend of the family both drove royal blue 1994 Renault 19s.

Now I don't remember the story exactly but it was either scenario 1 or 2:

1. My Dad parked the car and headed into the shop. Came out and got into the car and noticed a bag of spuds on the passenger seat. Thought "I didn't buy any spuds!"
    Got out of the car and realised he was in the wrong car.

2. My Dad parked the car and headed into the shop. Came out and got into the car and noticed a bag of spuds on the passenger seat. Thought "I didn't buy any spuds!"
    Got out of the car only to realise that the friend of the family had put the bag of spuds into my dad's car thinking it was his own car.

Probably wouldn't happened nowadays though

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I'm shopping around for a new hatchback at the moment, possibly an A3 but I've not fully decided. As a result, yesterday evening in Tesco's car park I was looking into and around a Hyundai i30 and a Seat Leon. There's nothing special about those cars either but I just wanted a 'real-life' look rather than just the photos you see on the web.

I once asked a guy if I could sit in his Golf and after a bit of explaining he let me!!

/mental note, next time I go stealing cars, wear a shirt and tie to avoid looking dodgy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

No, definitely wasn't mistaken for a similar car. As I said, he was driving a VW Golf, which was a different colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

I'd be quite flattered tbh, I usually take a peeky in some cars I like, mainly lexus LS or GS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

ShayK1 wrote: »
    back in the days of people not locking their cars when they were just running into the shop my dad and a friend of the family both drove royal blue 1994 Renault 19s.

Now I don't remember the story exactly but it was either scenario 1 or 2:

1. My Dad parked the car and headed into the shop. Came out and got into the car and noticed a bag of spuds on the passenger seat. Thought "I didn't buy any spuds!"
    Got out of the car and realised he was in the wrong car.

2. My Dad parked the car and headed into the shop. Came out and got into the car and noticed a bag of spuds on the passenger seat. Thought "I didn't buy any spuds!"
    Got out of the car only to realise that the friend of the family had put the bag of spuds into my dad's car thinking it was his own car.

Probably wouldn't happened nowadays though

That just reminded me!! In the 1980's my friends Dad owned a Black VW Beetle. One evening himself and the missus were parked on the Quays in Dublin and when he came back to the car they got in, started up and started driving. About 10 seconds later his wife said "When did you get the mirror dice, aren't you a bit old for them?"

That's when he realised that he wasn't in his car at all. He was in another VW Beetle that had also parked on the Quays. At the same time he realised this he drove past his own car, still parked where he had left it. He returned the 'stolen' Beetle and himself and the wife went home in their own car.

Odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

alias no.9 wrote: »
    Kind of reminds me of story of my brother who used to have a 88 fiesta, when it was around 10 years old, he was coming out of a bar late at night and hopped in, started the car and was about 100 yards down the road, turned on the radio and some tape started playing of some traditional irish music. Then he looked in the passenger side and seen a ladys jacket........Turned out he had opened and started the wrong car, his own was parked about 4 spaces further down....the keys were obviously so worn it didnt matter!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

I remember getting into someone else's Renault 18 in a car park back in the early 80's as a kid. Felt a right pratt.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,442 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I often try to get a close-up look at other cars in car parks too... I'd wager he was just admiring it for whatever reason (perhaps thinking of buying something similar himself, or maybe he thought it belonged to a friend of his), and he was embarrassed when you caught him!

EDIT: There's also the off chance he bumped into your car while parking and was checking if he left much damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

If he looked like he was a construction worker then definately dodgy! Somebody that does manual work from 8.00 in the morning until 6:00 6 days a week in all weather and can still only afford a golf is definately suspicious.
    Also If you take a look at a couple of building sites youll see lots of BMW's, Scoobies, and evos maybe hes thinking of upgrading

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn!

I parked in the Tesco car-park this morning. I was only in there about 5 minutes, but as I was coming back, I saw a guy looking at my car. I saw him before he noticed me, so I approached slowly to see what exactly he was at. He was definitely looking at my car; he was standing about 3/4 feet away and studying it. He didn't physically touch it. I saw him looking at the driver's side first, and then he walked around to the passenger's side.

He then saw me walking towards the car, and walked away sheepishly. Thought it was a bit weird.

I do it all the time if i have some interest in the car especially if its a rare car. I usually would talk to the owner if they approached though and ask silly questions. It used to happen to me when i had the 200sx if someone was nice id talk to them. I did get the odd Muppet including one guy who im convinced was on speed(that conversation didn't last long).

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭nmacc

The older readers of this board may remember that many years ago two branches of General Motors sold their cars simultaneously in this country.

One night the father of a friend of mine returned home from an evening out in the Burlington Hotel. He parked his 2-day old Opel and went inside. My friend, who hadn't seen the new car before, approached his dad and said "I thought you said you didn't like Vauxhalls?"

The da was in a bad mood and responded with a brief and pithy opinion about the quality of Vauxhalls and the liklihood of him buying one.

My friend: "So why did you buy one then?"

With much effing and blinding the da made his way to the front door to see a new Vauxhall in the driveway; same colour and body style as his Opel.

A rapid trip back to the Burlington found an irate Vauxhall owner standing in the car park on the point of calling the Gardai. Took a bit of persuading to calm him down before he saw the funny side of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭CPG

My Volvo 480 gets eyeballed quite a bit in carparks, petrol stations etc, if your car is anyway rare or unusual it will get eyeballed by the odd enthusiast

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Happened to me once in my Old Astra. Got into one and the smell of gone off milk was confusing

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

The Da was sitting in his car waiting for my grans return from the shops, as he sat he spotted her coming a few hundred ft away. She proceeded to wander straight across the road, opened the door and a car the same as my Dads and sat in.
    He burst his ass laughing, went over to tell her, only for her to ask him where the hell he was and she wanted to go home. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

I was sitting in my car in a petrol station when some granny got in and gave out to me about not giving her enough money when she was going into the shop, it was only when I asked who she was that she realised that I in fact wasn't her husband... Her husband was in a similiar coloured car at another pump

• Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Onkle wrote: »
    I was sitting in my car in a petrol station when some granny got in and gave out to me about not giving her enough money when she was going into the shop, it was only when I asked who she was that she realised that I in fact wasn't her husband... Her husband was in a similiar coloured car at another pump
    MILF much? :D

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

esel wrote: »
    MILF much? :D

Even I wouldn't have gone there and I went out with a minger for four years... have a hottie now though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

Onkle she must be so proud of you turning down a granny.

I think everyone has those stories of people getting into the wrong car! Scary the amount of cars that people could just drive off in back in the eighties. Happened to my uncles renault 21 as he was visting his sister went inside for lunch came out to some bloke parking his car up in the same space they looked at each other, he goes "eh hello" your man looks cops on to what has happened and was some what apologetic about it funny!

This thread is miles off topic!

He was having a goo id be somewhat chuffed he thought i drove a nice car! Id say he was just having a curious look

Advertisement