Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

anyone know if the xbox & xbox360 video cables are interchangeable?

• 12-06-2008 11:55am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭

I've got an old xbox (running XBMC) and also a Wii that I'd like to use with my HDTV via component so I can get the best output (1080i) from both.

I currently have a component cable for the xbox so I can have that at the best resolution to get the most out of it, but now I also have the Wii which is currently via composite with a scart adapter, but the quality isn't great on the 40" telly.

Since I only have 1 component input and the only other HD inputs I have are 2x HDMI ports and neither console can use these I'm a little stuck.

I've seen some cables on ebay that do several consoles via one component input and there's a few different ones that all mention "xbox 360" as well as wii, ps3 etc. but none actually specify the original xbox so I'm worried that if I get one it's not going to work.

I just needed someone to confirm that the 360 video cable will work with a classic xbox too :)

thx

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

If I read it right you've an Xbox that you plug into component on your TV and you want to know if you get a component switcher if you can put the Xbox component into one input and the Wii component into the other.

Those cables might not do the job as it needs an Xbox specific connector but a switch box would work I'd imagine.

I got this
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=230245700744&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=013
    a while ago. I'd say it'd do what you want. I've two devices plugged into it. It also has a network switch which is handy and it's remote control.

Edit: Just read your post again. That box wouldn't do it for you by itself. You'd obviously need a Wii Component cable too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭FuzzyWuzzyWazza

Wii max output is 480p as far as I know.

Also you won't get HD from an old xbox, just a 360.
    vibe666 wrote: »
    I just needed someone to confirm that the 360 video cable will work with a classic xbox too :)
    I think the part that connects to the console is different on the 360 and origional xbox, I no longer have the old xbox so I can't confirm this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Also you won't get HD from an old xbox, just a 360.

You'll get 480p.
    I think the part that connects to the console is different on the 360 and origional xbox, I no longer have the old xbox so I can't confirm this.

Yeah, they're different.

You'll get 480p.

Yeah, they're different.

480p ain't HD, a good DVD player will give you 576p and that also ain't HD:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

hate to break it to you lads, but thanks to a little known secret about the old xbox I'm currently running the xbox (not a 360) at 1080i using component cables and it's working great. :)

It's true that a PAL xbox will only do 480p out of the box using composite/scart but with a modded xbox (changed to NTSC output) and a component breakout box it happily does both 720p and 1080i for the GUI of XBMC as well as upscaling DVD's and DivX's to 1080i and does a better job of it than anything else I've tried, inc. 2 different upscaling DVD players and the 360 and PS3. :D

Anyway, back to my problem. I have 1x YPbPr component video input on m TV which is currently in use with the xbox, but the Wii is a little fuzzy and I'm told that the picture quality is significantly clearer when using component cables rather than the composite that comes with it.

the cables I linked to have one component input for the TV, with a splitter on the other end for a PS3, Xbox360 & Wii. I'm just wondering if the old and new xboxes have the same connection for video output (as the wii does with the older nintendo consoles) it will work for the old xbox I have.

it *looks* like the same connection from the pic, but i don't know if the pinouts will be the same or not.

i don't want to buy it if it's not going to do what i need it to.

• Advertisement

Right, I am even more confused, NTSC is 480 pixles verticle and PAL is 576 pixles verticle. How are you getting 480p out of a PAL xbox, but much more out of a NTSC output? I'm assuming on the same xbox.

Just to confirm, a 360 plug will not fit into an xbox, different shape.

IMG_0032.jpg

xbox

2007822181839220.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

sorry, confusing myself there.

the only difference between a PAL xbox and an NTSC one is in software and there's a tool available to switch between the two (on a modded xbox).

I set mine from PAL to NTSC so long ago that I forgot the 480/576 thing.

when you use the tool to switch the xbox over from one to the other, XBMC automatically changes the available resolutions to reflect this when you go back into the screen setup so you have the option of 480p, 720p or 1080i. I actually have the GUI in 720p as 1080i is a little bit jerky for my liking and the news ticker moves too slowly. visibly there's not a huge difference anyway, and unless you disable 1080i output movies etc. are still upscaled right up to that anyway.

that little breakout box was the best thing I ever bought for the xbox, it makes a huge difference for media playback. well that and a silent 80mm fan cos she was very noisy before that.

thanks for the connector info tho, good to know, but a bit of a shame. I guess I'll be keeping my composite/scart connection on the wii. :(

Advertisement