Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overseeing vote count

Options
  • 12-06-2008 12:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

Can an "ordinary" person check the vote count in any way?

For example can you go and oversee the counting process.

As Stalin said, its not who votes, but who counts the votes.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

And...

Someone in my family is away, but a vote card has been sent to us.

How do I make sure his vote isn't used?

In another election, I brought his card down to the count centre and told the people there that he was away, and they crossed his name off the list. But (being a little paranoid here) how can I be sure that someone doesn't then take a voting slip and vote on his behalf?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 diamondgeezer

You have every reason to be paranoid.

So what can I do to make sure the vote isn't used?

In fact, why isn't there a system where, if a vote isn't going to be used, and is announced as such, a voting slip is issued and stamped "Voter not available" - so that the number of names crossed out can be checked against the number of slips issued?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

I would imagine go to the counting centre, they have to let you in - they let in all the tally men and journalists. Google the referendums commission website, they might tell you where it is on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭purple'n'gold

To be allowed into the count you have to have a ticket, issued by the returning officer. Quiet difficult to get for general elections, but you will have no bother picking one up for the referendum. But you are very much an observer; you do not have any right to make comments to the people who are counting the votes. Etc. if you have a genuine complaint it has to be addressed to the returning officer. There is always a Guard on duty. Election counts are taken seriously here.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

luckat wrote: »
    And...

Someone in my family is away, but a vote card has been sent to us.

How do I make sure his vote isn't used?

In another election, I brought his card down to the count centre and told the people there that he was away, and they crossed his name off the list. But (being a little paranoid here) how can I be sure that someone doesn't then take a voting slip and vote on his behalf?
    You can't. If the invigilator at your desk wanted to steal the vote they could...but I believe the penalties are quite severe for someone caught doing that. It's an interesting point though....all those uncrossed-out names must be tempting for some unscrupulous people!

And also the crossed-out ones that the invigilator (is that what they're called?) *knows* belong to people who won't be using their vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

To be allowed into the count you have to have a ticket, issued by the returning officer. Quiet difficult to get for general elections, but you will have no bother picking one up for the referendum.
    The best way to get one is to ask your local politician.
    But you are very much an observer; you do not have any right to make comments to the people who are counting the votes.
    I tallyied at last year's election and if we weren't happy with say a spoiled vote, there was no problem with them being put aside for checking by the polling officer and the candidate's agents.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭purple'n'gold

Victor wrote: »
    The best way to get one is to ask your local politician.

I tallyied at last year's election and if we weren't happy with say a spoiled vote, there was no problem with them being put aside for checking by the polling officer and the candidate's agents.

I have tallied counts in the past, and if any candidate or their agent wanted to see the spoiled votes they were welcome to do so.
    What I mean by comments is that the count is a serious affair and people who attend are expected to behave accordingly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I went along to the RDS, during the afternoon. Quite a sedate affair compared to the election last year.

Advertisement